CCO size pistol info request.

This is a discussion on CCO size pistol info request. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok folks, I happen to have a few extra bucks and want to get a nice 1911 style weapon in the good carry size. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCO size pistol info request.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar

Ok folks,

I happen to have a few extra bucks and want to get a nice 1911 style weapon in the good carry size. The one I REALLY want is a Gunsite CCO, but there must be a weapon that size with same features that dosent carry the Gunsite logo (which I know adds a couple hundred bucks to the price).

I want

+A 4.25" barrel (not real keen on the 4" barrels on 1911s as it dosent balance well in my hand).
    +Officers length grip (true officers length)
    +Extended thumb safety
    +Bevertail grip safety
    +Good sights

I have about a week before I go shopping so I'm sure that ya'al will help.

Thanks
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

the 4.25 is commander length, you have a ton of options out there...

what else do you like about this particular gun??

(I found one for 1400)

Look at the various examples of the Smith and Wesson 1911. More things come standard than most 1911s. Prices are from 650 to 1600 retail.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15708
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

other than the CCO or the les baer Stinger you are about out of luck if you dont want a 4" barrel

the officers Grip length is what is gonna make it hard to find

i think the wilson carry comp is 4 1/4 but it is comped

no one else makes a cco sized gun with a 4/14 excepet those listed above ive been looking myself

Sig 1911 meets your specs

The Sig 1911 in the compact size meets your specs, with a 4.25 inch barrel, officer's length grip, extended thumb safety and beavertail grip safety. You can see it on the Sig website:

Sig compact 1911

Administrator
    You might want to take a look at what Detonics has to offer.

The ServiceMaster Compact is a very nice pistol that you won't have to sink any additional $$$ into & it's "pretty close" to what you're looking for. They are very reliable and built extremely tough.
    No extended thumb safety though but, you can get one put on from Detonics (probabaly at no added cost) if you order a pistol from Detonics.

DETONICSUSA ~ CLICK HERE

Caliber: .45 ACP
    LOA: 7 7/8 inches
    Bbl: 4 1/4 inches
    Height: 5 1/8 inches
    Width: 1 1/4 inches
    Weight (empty, with magazine): 39 ounces
    Capacity: 6 + 1
    Grips: Logo Engraved Checkered Rosewood
    Sights: Low profile fixed combat

Description: The ServiceMaster Compact is like a "Medium-sized CombatMaster"; stainless steel; all US-made from all US parts; nothing made via MIM (Metal Injection Molding); no plastic componenets.

MSRP: $1200.00

Features Historically Pioneered by Detonics:

Functional reliability in a 1911-style pistol which was smaller than any ever manufactured before;
    Cone-shaped barrel which required no bushing;
    Recoil system with counter-recoiling multiple springs;
    Recoil spring guide rod with buffer;
    Springs easily removable for disassembly because they are not loaded under tension;
    Ejection port lowered and scalloped for more positive ejection and to spare damage to brass;
    First stainless steel semi-automatic pistol to overcome the metallurgical problem known as galling;
    First semi-automatic to use a 3-Dot Sighting System
    Loaded magazine indicator
    Repositioned (forward) rear sight and sloped rear of slide in order to facilitate thumb cocking when the pistol is carried hammer down;
    Heavier firing pin spring than conventional 1911-style pistols introduced as a safety feature against the pistol being dropped on a hard surface, thus helping guard against accidental discharge;
    Feed ramp polished to mirror finish and chamber orifice rounded in order to enhance feeding;
    Rugged internal extractor.
    Not a bargain alternative to the traditional 1911-style semi-automatic, Detonics is the logical refinement.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I went through the same decision process and bought a Baer Stinger for CCW to compliment my 5" Baer.

I really like the "CCO" concept as I don't have a problem concealing the 4.25" slide and the officer's grip is comfortable when sitting and slightly easier to conceal. It's all steel, so the weight helps dampen the recoil some and I don't give up much in MV or sight radius. It comes with the "Tactical Package" which in Baer speak is a mild dehorning. I've got a little over 3K through it and it has yet to miss a beat.

5" Full size and my Stinger for comparison.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

LB Stinger hands down!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I think the CCO concept is the ultimate carry package. It takes advantage of the short Officer's grip which is the hardest part to conceal carrying IWB, while retaining the 4.25" barrel for reliabilty; eliminating any functioning problems that are common with shorter barreled 1911s.

The ones I'm aware of with 4.25" barrels and Officers grip-frames:
    Colt CCO
    Colt Gunsite CCO
    Les Baer Stinger
    Sig GSR Compact Carry
    Dan Wesson CCO
    and numerous offerings from Nighthawk custom. www.nighthawkcustom.com

If you've really got the bucks and don't mind the wait, the ultimate CCO is custom gunsmith C.T. Brian's Chopper www.ctbrian.com

Or, you can go the route I'm currently doing and buy a Caspian Commander slide and Caspian Officer's frame.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

dont think dan wesson makes a CCO

anymore do they ?

What about a bobtail? instead of officers frame if you cant find one

Ok I really dont have mega bucks, other wise I'd snatch up the Gunsite CCO. I was looking for something about 800 or so.

Thanks for the imput, I will now look at the Sig Compact and Dan Wesson CCO. Hopefully there will be some at the next gun show so I can do a hands on.

I did find a link to a Dan Wesson PT-CCO http://danwesson.sectordevelopment.c...ts/catalog/1/6 but cannot find it at the new CZ site. I'll keep looking.

But I havent heard much about the new Dan Wesson line. Does anyone have a history with their new product line? Are their 1911s holding up? Parts interchangable with standard 1911s? ect.

Thanks again ya'al.
    Last edited by fed_wif_a_sig; December 31st, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
    Steve

I built my own carry using a Caspian Officer frame and slide. Internal parts are mostly Wilson Combat. This is an Officer size slide 3.5" but could just as easily could be built with a commander type 4.25 inch slide sold by Caspian. I like the look of a classic .45 even to the lo profile GI sights. I also have the Kimber and Sigarm GSR compacts which are highly recommended.

Last edited by bluesteel; January 1st, 2007 at 12:01 AM.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Ya I have carried a Commander model for years, its not in my brothers hands, but I'm pretty stuck on the CCO design.

Mark your just CREWL man. That hurt. Sending me to a site with such a beautiful piece (aka The Chopper). Made me wish I'd hit the lottery, cause THAT pistol is sweet.

Thanks ya'al. This is gonna be an interesting week with me searching. Does anyone know if Colt is making the CCO without it being the Gunsite model?

Thanks guys.
    Steve

then new dan wessons are back to internal extractor and seem to be holding up from what ive read

If its not on CZ usa's site it isnt currently being produced is what cz told me

VIP Member
    Don't forget the Kimber line such as the Compact, Stainless Compact, and Compact CDP and CDP II.

Here's at least one review: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/kim_com_rev.htm

I have the predecessor of the Compact CDP named the Combat Carry seen here which is nearly the same as the CDP.

There's also the very nice Para-Ordnance Para CCW DAO 1911:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/para_0904/
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links