XDS series are they still problematic?

This is a discussion on XDS series are they still problematic? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heard awhile ago that the XDS series were having issues and there was a major recall. I currently have a XDM .45 and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: XDS series are they still problematic?

XDS series are they still problematic?

I heard awhile ago that the XDS series were having issues and there was a major recall.

I currently have a XDM .45 and I absolutely love it. Was considering a 3.3" XDS but I am
    a bit nervious is they are still having issues. Does anyone know if they are a reliable series?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Well we took my wife's XDs 9mm out last Friday and it was fine. Going to be taking it out gain today. If you buy used look to make sure it has been retro fitted with the little pin in the grip safty.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Well we took my wife's XDs 9mm out last Friday and it was fine. Going to be taking it out gain today. If you buy used look to make sure it has been retro fitted with the little pin in the grip safty.
    Do you have a picture of this component?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I don't but this link does at the bottom of the page. Its the actual XDs recall page.
    Springfield Armory ReCall Registration
    gatorbait51 and glockcoma like this.

It is my understanding that all NEW XDs are being shipped with the reto fit.
    glockcoma and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    All new ones have the pin,my XDS is pre recall and have had no trouble so I did not send it in as of yet.The triggers are a bit tighter since the fix
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My XDs-45 has had zero issues before and after the recall. It makes a great pocket BUG.
    gatorbait51 and ironmike86 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Nem
    I have the pre recall xds 45 and never had a prob. ..... sent in for recall and still no issues..... imo it's a great little shooter
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    XDS is a fine shooting, very accurate little gun. Lots of punch in a small package . Trigger is nice post recall as well.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

All the new ones are post recall. I had one of the recalled models and never had any issues with it before or after the recall. Has been flawless throughout.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My XDs .45 has been flawless both before and after the recall.

The trigger is a pound or two stiffer after the recall. It makes it slightly harder to shoot but I still shoot it well enough for defensive carry at likely self defense distances. I had a new one in my hand the other day and it's the same as mine that was recalled.

I use it as my hot weather summer carry. I usually carry it IWB but I've also pocket carried it in loose fit jeans. I'm average size (5'-8" 157 lbs. this morning). Nothing quite like some pocket thunder .45ACP for summer carry.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdxn View Post
    I heard awhile ago that the XDS series were having issues and there was a major recall.
    I believe the "problem" was that, if you operate the slide without depressing the grip safety, sometimes the trigger could fail to reset. This would leave the fpb up, and allow inertia of the slide returning into battery to push striker into the primer of a new round. ND was the fear, although i don't know if any were ever able to be produced.

Here is the fix
    image.jpg
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The only issue I was having was failure of the slide to stay returned after the last shot. This started about the time I got my recall notice so I had it fixed while it was back at the mothership for recall. Have not had any issues after it was returned and can not tell a difference in trigger pull or anything else as far as that goes. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to there level and beat you with experience... olllllllllo

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My XDs-45 has had zero issues before and after the recall. It makes a great pocket BUG.
    Ditto
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm going to go against the grain here but so it goes. I really wanted to to like my XDs but I finally dumped it a couple of weeks ago in frustration. They're light, disappear under a cover garment, not particularly hard recoiling and fit my hand. My major problem was light strikes about 10% of the time. No, I wasn't limp wristing and I kept it properly lubed per Springfield's protocols. It went back to the mother ship twice after the recall and the factory couldn't fix it.

The other problem, one that is inherent in the design, is the difficulty doing a "tap, rack, bang". Extracting a loaded round in conditions less than optimal and in a hurry is hit or miss.I don't stand in front of paper targets shooting at bull's eyes but run and gun, popping steel plates under a timer. The gun just didn't perform when run hard and doing failure drills. Bought a Glock 36 and couldn't be happier.

Your mileage will vary but that's my take.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links