Taurus experience

Taurus experience

This is a discussion on Taurus experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I purchased a Taurus TCP. I had issues so I sought a forum where I could talk about my issues and get help on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Taurus experience

Taurus experience

So I purchased a Taurus TCP. I had issues so I sought a forum where I could talk about my issues and get help on trying to resolve them. The forum is the major Taurus forum but not affiliated with the actual company, I won't name them here though. Anytime I related my negative experience, I was warned for bashing. Any thread I tried relaying my experience in got locked. Well I am gonna post my entire Taurus experience here. My experience with Taurus the company started poorly but has now turned positive. I am hoping to have resolution shortly and finality to this story.

Hi everyone,*
    I wanted to journal what my experience has been up to this point with Taurus. On February 4th, I brought home a new Black Stainless TCP. I was so excited as I needed a pocket gun. I did a lot of research, read tons of pros vs cons and the TCP fit my hand the best.*

I started practicing my holster draws with the included bulldog pouch. I noticed that the rubbing against the material was causing scratches. It became so bad I decided to phone customer service.*

Now I had heard the rumors about Taurus having poor customer service prior to buying this gun. So when I called, I was fearing the worst. I called, waited for about 45 minutes and got Erica. Erica was one of the nicest people I have dealt with in customer service. I told her my issues and she said no problem. I asked for the normal turnaround time. She said their script is 4-6 weeks but normally 1-2 weeks turnaround is achieved. I said great. She also provided a return label since the gun was about a week old.*

My gun was received 2-13. I waited 3 weeks and then called because the online repair status still said "firearm received awaiting repair." I spoke to Lavon, who will be my weekly chat member now. He said that it showed my firearm with a service agent but he had no info. I called week 4, week 5 and was told the exact same thing by Lavon, no further info. I requested to speak to a manager at week 5 day 2. Spoke to Ali who said he could not do anything as they were in their 6 week window. I called to the minute they received my firearm on week 6, got Lavon again. He says now my firearm appears to be awaiting parts from Brazil. Said this can take 3-6 additional months. I asked why I couldn't of been told this from week 3-6 and he says it's their policy not to investigate tickets for information until the quoted time line has passed. He said he was gonna investigate and call me back. 48 hours later he calls back and says I was approved for a replacement firearm. He gave me information where to send FFL info to Taurus. He said turnaround is 7-10 days for the firearm to be received by my FFL.*

This past Saturday I went to my LGS, filled out paperwork and watched him fax everything over. I called Tuesday to make sure they got my FFL properly. I spoke with Jason. Jason says my FFL is now in my file, but the TCP is back ordered. What!!! He says the good thing is these are made in house in Miami. I said I was told the TCP was made in Brazil and this is why the replacement was granted. He said he doesn't know why I was told that. He said the backorder could be 1-3 months.

I have stated I am willing to accept ANY stainless firearm in return. Even regular stainless is fine. I don't have a preference, I went with black stainless as that is all they had.

Update: So I called for my second time today. This time I spoke with John. John tells me a 3rd story. John says that the black stainless can be 6-8 weeks back ordered. He then tells me to wait a minute. He comes back and says a Stainless TCP is available, well might be. He says they are currently doing inventory and will not know until Friday what exact availability will be. He will call me back on Friday before 7pm and hopes to have a definitive answer. He also said he will see if maybe an extra magazine can be provided for all the issues, but he doesn't know if that can happen either.*

He seemed very nice as well, and I have always said thank you, yes sir and have been respectful as I know they have nothing to do with this process. I really hope by the end of next week to have my firearm back.*

I will continue to update this thread with any information I get. Hopefully I will get a resolution sooner than later.

When I bought the TCP I did weeks of research. I read a lot of negatives, but most of it was old and from around 2011ish. I read an article where the writer said out of all pocket pistols at a rental range, the TCP has been the only gun with no repairs. That interested me as it proved this gun to be reliable. I then read a lot of articles where Mr. Kresser vowed to improve the reputation of Taurus. He stated basically about putting the customer first. After reading all of this, I decided that coupled with the fact I thought the TCP was the most comfortable for my 6'6 large handed body, I purchased the gun. I had an issue and expected it to get resolved quickly and for their customer service to be transparent. As I read they were revamped.

What I experienced was similar to experiences in 2011. Since I got John yesterday and he actually provided a solution and is working on it, I no longer have to call anymore until Friday.

Regarding wanting to contact Mr kresser, I want to do so to let him know how to improve customer service better. I informed him of the online repair status being basically broken as my repair stays is still showing firearm received awaiting repairs 7 weeks later. This is after a service agent has had it for weeks. I also wrote asking that if customers call to ask for an update, to be more transparent with what the delay may be. This way I don't feel as though my gun is sitting on the table forgotten about while reading about others getting their guns back in 14 days. I didn't write a kicking and screaming letter, I wrote a letter asking for improvement and provided examples where I feel is needed.

Another Update:
    My email was received by Mr. Kresser this morning and forwarded to a manager for resolution. I just got off the phone. She said she will be handling my case. I am going to receive a Stainless replacement as was discussed with John yesterday. The Stainless TCP has been pulled and is being test fired for me to ensure reliability which is awesome and reassuring. She is hoping it will be mailed to my FFL within about 48 hours. I will get a follow up from her on Friday.

This last phone call really helped in calming my fears about Taurus. I explained my issues and she said she listened to my previous calls and said that it will be a learning experience as I could of been informed much better. I also reiterated to her that these 4 agents I dealt with were some of the most polite and professional support agents I have ever encountered.

Taurus had also offered to refund my FFL fee which I think is a phenomenal thing to do. They have really started providing me with stellar service, and one I can feel comfortable with when purchasing a product.

I will update this again on Friday. Like I said I have no agenda to bash a company, I just want my firearm returned so I can protect myself. Regarding the online status, she said until the firearm is actually being fixed it won't update. That means if they are waiting for parts it still shows as received. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Here is a picture of my TCP after 7 days.
    Last edited by petes67bird; April 4th, 2014 at 01:40 PM.

Pete, I got the initial post and understand the ordeal you have gone through. Where I am kinda getting lost is after your response to a member who may have been questioning if you are being disrespectful. Was that a post response from here that was deleted by a mod. or just your reply copied from the Taurus forum? If it was copied you should edit that conversation out as it is confusing. Also, outside business shouldn't be brought to this forum as in my opinion it is in bad taste; for one, to someone reading this thread it looks like a member here was being disrespectful to you, (you also didn't include that thread or response so we have no idea) hence the confusion. That kind of thing rarely happens here, as this is a good group and well moderated. Due to the wording, it kinda gives this forum a black eye for something that I am assuming didn't even happen here.

In regards to Taurus, I feel your pain. I have a buddy who purchased a 24/7 OSS .45 that has been nothing but a headache. Constant malfunctions and just shoddy workmanship/rough internals/machining. Last range trip we tried everything and the diagnosis ended up: upon ejection of brass the barrel ramp would actually ride back over the feed ramp on the frame, over the following round in the magazine and hold the next round trying to feed underneath it until the slide started to move back forward into lock up. The round at that point would either overcome the downward pressure from the barrel ramp and pop up out of the ejection port, (stove pipe), lock itself nose first into the top of the barrel/chamber or feed into the chamber successfully. Didn't matter what magazine and it would or could happen at any point in a fully loaded mag, from the second shot to the last shot; anywhere. Compounding that issue, were also failures to extract/eject.

He's been hemming and hawing over this gun for two years, every range trip is issue after issue. I finally convinced him to send it back which he did late last month. We will see how it is handled. It is the 24/7 Gen. 1; now they have the G2's out and I have heard are replacing faulty G1's with G2's since Taurus no longer has manufacturing capabilities or replacement parts for the first Gen. I hope they just replace it for him outright. He is currently mulling over selling any replacement they send him and purchasing from a different company.

I have a couple of observations.

I agree the whole process was handled poorly. It was not a situation that required much finesse - decision to make = refinish or replace or deny warranty request. Once the decision is made - proceed to completion. Total turn around - 4 weeks tops. I've been in the service business - you handle the easy ones first and quickly...because they are easy and quick to fix. Duh.

That being said, I'm surprised they are giving you a new gun. Cosmetic defects caused by the customer are generally not covered at all. It didn't come out of the box that way. You admitted you did it by repeatedly drawing from a holster. It took weeks of run around but you are getting a stainless steel gun (which is a better finish for wear anyway) b/c you scratched yours.

I'd count my lucky stars and instead of complaining about it I'd say WOW - I got a new gun.

That's just me but I also wouldn't have tried to get a warranty repair for a scratch I caused.
    Longstreet, Steve454 and RScottie like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

As far as the Forum where you got the grief--was it Taurusarmed? They have a section specifically to relate problems, and there are plenty of folks who do! So if it was there and in in the right forum, I'm not sure why they would take issue. If it wasn't that site, recommend you give them a try.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

While there is little love lost, here on DC for Taurus, it sounds like they are trying to resolve your issue. Truthfully, when I look at your photo, all I see is a slide with a dull finish and some holster wear. It sounds like their customer service needs some re-training, but then that is pretty common with almost all gun manufacturers.

I hope you get your issue resolved to your satisfaction. With, or without, your post, it's unlikely I'll be re-joining the ranks of Taurus owners anytime soon. About 20 years ago, I had a Taurus PT-101, but traded it away. Although mine worked fine, their reputation since then has been less than stellar.

Good luck.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Pete, I got the initial post and understand the ordeal you have gone through. Where I am kinda getting lost is after your response to a member who may have been questioning if you are being disrespectful. Was that a post response from here that was deleted by a mod. or just your reply copied from the Taurus forum? If it was copied you should edit that conversation out as it is confusing. Also, outside business shouldn't be brought to this forum as in my opinion it is in bad taste; for one, to someone reading this thread it looks like a member here was being disrespectful to you, (you also didn't include that thread or response so we have no idea) hence the confusion. That kind of thing rarely happens here, as this is a good group and well moderated. Due to the wording, it kinda gives this forum a black eye for something that I am assuming didn't even happen here.

In regards to Taurus, I feel your pain. I have a buddy who purchased a 24/7 OSS .45 that has been nothing but a headache. Constant malfunctions and just shoddy workmanship/rough internals/machining. Last range trip we tried everything and the diagnosis ended up: upon ejection of brass the barrel ramp would actually ride back over the feed ramp on the frame, over the following round in the magazine and hold the next round trying to feed underneath it until the slide started to move back forward into lock up. The round at that point would either overcome the downward pressure from the barrel ramp and pop up out of the ejection port, (stove pipe), lock itself nose first into the top of the barrel/chamber or feed into the chamber successfully. Didn't matter what magazine and it would or could happen at any point in a fully loaded mag, from the second shot to the last shot; anywhere. Compounding that issue, were also failures to extract/eject.

He's been hemming and hawing over this gun for two years, every range trip is issue after issue. I finally convinced him to send it back which he did late last month. We will see how it is handled. It is the 24/7 Gen. 1; now they have the G2's out and I have heard are replacing faulty G1's with G2's since Taurus no longer has manufacturing capabilities or replacement parts for the first Gen. I hope they just replace it for him outright. He is currently mulling over selling any replacement they send him and purchasing from a different company.
    HI thanks. Nothing took place on this forum. I will attempt to edit that out right now, thanks for your suggestion. If your friend has issues, please Pm me as I have emails of higher ups that can get things going for him.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by petes67bird; April 4th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    I have a couple of observations.

I agree the whole process was handled poorly. It was not a situation that required much finesse - decision to make = refinish or replace or deny warranty request. Once the decision is made - proceed to completion. Total turn around - 4 weeks tops. I've been in the service business - you handle the easy ones first and quickly...because they are easy and quick to fix. Duh.

That being said, I'm surprised they are giving you a new gun. Cosmetic defects caused by the customer are generally not covered at all. It didn't come out of the box that way. You admitted you did it by repeatedly drawing from a holster. It took weeks of run around but you are getting a stainless steel gun (which is a better finish for wear anyway) b/c you scratched yours.

I'd count my lucky stars and instead of complaining about it I'd say WOW - I got a new gun.

That's just me but I also wouldn't have tried to get a warranty repair for a scratch I caused.
    First. My gun is Black Stainless Steel. It is a stainless slide that is then baked with a black coating. The issue was that black coating was incorrectly applied to wear the slide would scratch with a fingernail rub. Gun was never holstered, it sat in a nylon pouch, like a sneaky Pete. It was a manufacturing defect, not wear from ordinary use and the agent agreed. Thanks for the feedback.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...67863/redirect

BigShrek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    While there is little love lost, here on DC for Taurus, it sounds like they are trying to resolve your issue. Truthfully, when I look at your photo, all I see is a slide with a dull finish and some holster wear. It sounds like their customer service needs some re-training, but then that is pretty common with almost all gun manufacturers.

I hope you get your issue resolved to your satisfaction. With, or without, your post, it's unlikely I'll be re-joining the ranks of Taurus owners anytime soon. About 20 years ago, I had a Taurus PT-101, but traded it away. Although mine worked fine, their reputation since then has been less than stellar.

Good luck.
    Yes, gun was never holstered and was 7 days old. All that wear was from gentle use. It was a defect in the Black coating over the stainless slide.

I also purchased a new TCP Black Stainless and yes, it started showing wear on the finish out of the gate. After several hundred rounds and a lot of carry, there is significant wear on the black finish...like mostly gone on the slide serrations and top in that area. But, it's a tool that is used not a show piece. I'm shocked they were willing to cover some minor finish wear, much less replace the gun. I'm personally not concerned with the wear...if I were, I would have bought the polished stainless slide model. If you use a firearm and carry a firearm on a regular basis, it's gonna have finish wear. It adds character.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I also purchased a new TCP Black Stainless and yes, it started showing wear on the finish out of the gate. After several hundred rounds and a lot of carry, there is significant wear on the black finish...like mostly gone on the slide serrations and top in that area. But, it's a tool that is used not a show piece. I'm shocked they were willing to cover some minor finish wear, much less replace the gun. I'm personally not concerned with the wear...if I were, I would have bought the polished stainless slide model. If you use a firearm and carry a firearm on a regular basis, it's gonna have finish wear. It adds character.
    Does yours scratch by lightly rubbing your fingernail on it? Mine has yet to see a holster and I owned it 7 days. I have yet to carry mine. These do come with a 1 year cosmetic warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by petes67bird View Post
    Does yours scratch by lightly rubbing your fingernail on it? Mine has yet to see a holster and I owned it 7 days. I have yet to carry mine. These do come with a 1 year cosmetic warranty.

I took mine straight to the range and started shooting the tar out of it. Then cleaned it and carried the tar out of it. Got darn good with it over the course of a couple days, at the end of which it looked like I'd had it for several years. Never tried scratching it with a fingernail and never worried about the finish. But yes, within a week it looked like a veteran of concealed carry. I'll take a pic of it now and post it...looked like that after a week.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    All this whining over a sub $300 gun?

Be glad they sent you a stainless one.

"Brethren, go forth and whine no more." 1st Browning 3:16
    RebelSoul and rammerjammer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I took mine straight to the range and started shooting the tar out of it. Then cleaned it and carried the tar out of it. Got darn good with it over the course of a couple days, at the end of which it looked like I'd had it for several years. Never tried scratching it with a fingernail and never worried about the finish. But yes, within a week it looked like a veteran of concealed carry. I'll take a pic of it now and post it...looked like that after a week.
    Taurus told me mine was finished soft. I shot mine 12 rounds only, didn't clean it, just wiped down. Then practiced drawing from the enclosed pouch around 20 times. I then noticed the gun looked like this. Thanks
    Last edited by petes67bird; April 4th, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
    BugDude likes this.

I'm surprised by the way the Warranty has been handled. Taurus is usually real good about their products. Looks like the dull finish wasn't applied properly in the first place. Taurus usually has a fast turn around, including swapping you out for a replacment firearm. It's easier to replace the gun, rather than sit there and try to figure out what's wrong with the one that came in for warranty. In short, they may have found something else with your old gun, and decided to replace it. This warranty lasts for the life of the gun, not just the first owner. If your the 20th owner, you're still covered. If you're still not happy with your gun, when it comes back, go for a Ruger LCP or similar.
    For the money you paid...I'm guessing .. 175.00 to 235.00 you're doing ok if they sent you a stainless slide gun. When people ask me about a certain blued/ nitron/ parkerized finish, I tell them it's only a coating, and they all wear, unless it's stainless.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I'm surprised by the way the Warranty has been handled. Taurus is usually real good about their products. Looks like the dull finish wasn't applied properly in the first place. Taurus usually has a fast turn around, including swapping you out for a replacment firearm. It's easier to replace the gun, rather than sit there and try to figure out what's wrong with the one that came in for warranty. In short, they may have found something else with your old gun, and decided to replace it. This warranty lasts for the life of the gun, not just the first owner. If your the 20th owner, you're still covered. If you're still not happy with your gun, when it comes back, go for a Ruger LCP or similar.
    If there are any other issues, I might opt for the cw380.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links