A look at a custom M&P 40

This is a discussion on A look at a custom M&P 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just started working on the S&W M&P and am very favorably impressed with these pistols. This one belongs to one of my very ...

Thread: A look at a custom M&P 40

I have just started working on the S&W M&P and am very favorably impressed with these pistols. This one belongs to one of my very good customers. It has trigger and reliability work and the custom texturing or stippling on the front and rear strap. I will be taking the slide to the shop today to give it a minor "melt" and media blast it for a two tone look. The slide on the M&P is stainless, so a nice satin media blast will look very nice. Anyway, the trigger on these can be set for as light as 3 lbs and very crisp along with removing the mag disconnect. Anway, here are the pics of the stippling. Another gunsmith friend of mine, Dan Burwell, does a sharkskin and stippled look, this is more of a honey comb look. I like this because it resembles the pattern that I do on the metal stippling, more of a random pattern with not much repeating in the pattern. You will notice that I have even textured the rear of the slide and the mag release as well. When I have it apart to do the trigger work, I will also give the trigger a light texturing as well.
    The texturing appears to be a bit courser in the pics than it looks. It really does match the balance and factory look while it REALLY improves the comfort and is a huge improvement on the grips. Almost like velcro! I will also be offering trigger work on the Springfield XD with similar grip texturing and reshaping, along with trigger work. I am working on my personal XD-45 right now. I have the trigger pull down to a very crisp 3.5 lbs with an adjustable trigger pre-travel adjustment. And I will be removing the front strap checkering to slim and re-profile the grip a bit and the doing this stippling on the side panels and front strap of the XD. I can also do grip reduction on the other caliber XDs, but not the .45. The grip material is just too thin to reduce very much. I can really do this to any polymer pistol, such as the Glocks and others. Just depends on what the customer wants!
    Jess

Last edited by ontarget1911; January 1st, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Nice work Jess as alway's.

I have been looking at these hard myself with all the good reports out on them.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I like the looks of your texturing much more than some of the other work that covers a lot more of the frame.

I have an M&P 9, I am so impressed with it that I have a 9mm compact on layaway and will be buying a .45 when they are available.

Very Nice!

I like that.

I think this may be the next gun purchase for me. I seem to have a real jones for the S&W M&P. I especially want a .40 cal.

Does anyone know when S&W plan on releasing the compact .40 cal version of the M&P?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I really like your stipling. Do you have any pics of Glocks you have done? I have a 23 that I would like done, no reduction just full stipling. Can you send me a PM with pics and prices? Thanks
    Me
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I may have to give that a try!

I assume you use a soldering iron?
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

nice work. it is a looker.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Just finished the trigger work on this one
    Turned out really nice. 4 lbs, reduced pretravel, over travel and reset. And pretty dang smooth and crisp. I think that I may have some fun with these polymer guns!

Yes the stippling is done with a soldering iron, but I would like to think that there is some talent involved with making turn out nice. There is quite a bit involved with the amount of heat that is used, how long it is applied and what you do with the pattern to make it look right. I have seen a LOT of stippling on the internet that obviously looks like it was done with a soldering iron. And there are some that look pretty dang nice too. It does take some patience and practice to get it to look right. If you look at the DYI stippling section on my website, you get a very good idea of how this is done, just substitute a soldering iron for the punches. And I use a temperature controlled iron. There is a bit of a difference in the plastics that are used by the different gun makers and some temps work very well on some guns that would burn a hole right through some of the others. The nice thing about the S&W is that if you do make a mistake on the back panel, you can just get a new one. Not the case with the XDs or Glocks. It has to be right the first time.

Thanks for all of the kind words, you guys make me blush!

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com

I second Warhawk. I will be getting an M&P 9 compact soon too. Nice work on the grips.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

VIP Member
    Nice! That is great work, Jess. I look forward to seeing the completed project.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    It looks really nice. I am thinking of adding another 9mm to the stable soon. The M&P is a front runner

Here is the update, two tone and more

Decided that I was not done with this one yet. Since the last pics, I have refined the trigger to a very crisp 3.5 lb match trigger. The owner mainly uses this gun for matches and range use, but this trigger is still not so light that I don't think it could be carried. It could be. I media blasted the slide, did a slight melt on the front for easier holstering and carry, and then did an old fashioned 320 grit hand polish on the slide flats. Then added a 45 degree polished target crown. It makes for a very striking custom look to the gun and a totally different character. The slide of the M&P is stainless, so there is no problems with taking off the black finish. Here are the pics. I will have a hard time shipping this one back, I like it that much!

Jess

Last edited by ontarget1911; January 3rd, 2007 at 01:50 PM.

Sponsored Links