GP100 Extractor Problem

This is a discussion on GP100 Extractor Problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Wiley Clapp model GP100 has an extractor problem: it will "freeze up" and won't push forward to eject spent cartridges. I have never had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: GP100 Extractor Problem

GP100 Extractor Problem

My Wiley Clapp model GP100 has an extractor problem: it will "freeze up" and won't push forward to eject spent cartridges. I have never had this happen before on any revolver and can't figure out why it's happening. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It could be bent or dirty, can you post pictures?
    Eagleks likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sorry, no pics, but it's clean and sure looks straight to me. However, it does look like the ejector can be puled back as far as possible and seem to detach from a little piece of metal towards the cylinder. Got me puzzled.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member
    Any pic's will help identify the problem.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

My money is on bent. Call Ruger and talk to their customer service folks. Good Luck and let us know what happens.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Good advice so far. Yah, we need pics.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Are you sure it is not just bulged cases that make it hard to extract them?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The cartridges are all top grade... Hornady, etc. But I do have a hard time getting cartridges in a few of the cylinder "slots'; have to force them in a little bit. Sorry about pics; can't quite get my computer--- or my brain--- to cooperate. Going to my local gun guy tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments. This GP100 was new last May.
    P.S. it's not that they are hard to extract; the ejector rod won't move!

Sounds like the cylinders are outside of specs. - i.e. too tight. I'd contact Ruger CS and they will take care of it.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Senior Moderator
    Are the cylinders clean? It sounds like you might have fouling in your cylinders if a .357 want slide in easily but a .38 will
    Eric357 and Eagleks like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Actually, the 357's go into the cylinder rather easily: it's the 38 + P's that are hard to seat in the cylinder. Also, I just ejected several cylinders worth of 357's and there was no ejection problem--- I just don't get it. To top it off, Ruger CS has a recording telling folks to try later as they are having a high volume of CS requests!

Senior Moderator
    Try a different brand of .38's

I am at a loss if .357's will eject but .38's won't that rules out the two most common causes

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Another P.S.--- the 38 + P's are American Eagle. Would that make a difference? Thanks again.
    Actually, the 357's don't have to be ejected; they simply fall out when the barrel is upside down!

Senior Moderator
    Cases might be bulging or out of spec, if it is only happening with one brand of ammo I would suspect that you got a bad lot. Try a different brand and see if it happens
    Philly Boy, 10thmtn and TDH1961 like this.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

pgrass101: I'll give it a try and see what happens. I got the American Eagle's at my local range. Thanks all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links