Glock 42 vs TCP

Glock 42 vs TCP

This is a discussion on Glock 42 vs TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Totally two different price ranges with the same purpose. I don't feel great about spending a lot of money on a pocket 380. But is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock 42 vs TCP

Glock 42 vs TCP

Totally two different price ranges with the same purpose. I don't feel great about spending a lot of money on a pocket 380. But is the Glock going to be twice as good as the TCP just because its twice the price?

I really like my TCP....great little pistol...carried it today ..all day

And twice the weight.

How much is your life worth? Don't skimp on a firearm you may one day need to defend your life.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
    Totally two different price ranges with the same purpose. I don't feel great about spending a lot of money on a pocket 380. But is the Glock going to be twice as good as the TCP just because its twice the price?
    Guess we can also debate if the 42 is really a "pocket" gun...I finally(just yesterday) got to see one(take in hand) a LE friend got one...and to be honest...whole its THINNER than a Glock 26/27 its just about the same size and i could not pocket carry those either..I think I have 1 pair of pants(excluding cargo pants side pockets) that I could pocket carry a 42 in and get it in and out reasonably and have it not print badly...and I dont have any "tight jeans/pants" they are all rather loose and a size up because I normally carry a IWB SR9c....I could have gotten the Glock 42 for $319 LE price....I am now glad i didnt because I wanted one(a small pocket gun) to fill just that role...a TRUE pocket gun..

I DID just last Monday get the TCP and that IS a true pocket gun..tried it in all my pants front pockets goes in/out with no fuss in a few dosnt leave ANY noticeable print in the rest it just looks like a wallet if im sitting or something...I just think they are 2 different guns..and while im 100% sure SOME people can pocket carry the 42 eaisly and all day long..I know I couldnt and im not a big guy 5'10" 165lbs...

Love the Glock for what it is but for me its not a pocket gun. Also love the TCP for what it is...a pocket gun with one of the better triggers for a pocket gun, no manual safety and a last round hold open feature..and above all a true pocket gun.

If I were getting a .380 just to have a smaller .380 caliber pistol but I was NOT going to pocket carry it..id get the Glock for instance if I were going to use it in a IWB,belly band,type rig only..id go with the Glock..if im pocket carrying id not even consider the Glock and go with the TCP..in a REASONABLE(to me) price range the ones I liked were the TCP,CW .380 Kahr, if you wanted to step up for double the price and dont mind single action the Sig tops the list....I didnt want to mess with the Sig and single action because im trying to keep it SIMPLE for my wife. so got the TCP..doenst get much more simple.

Get an LCP. Its in the middle of the 2 prices and a great little pocket .380.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I shopping for a .380 today. The Glock is out because I want a pocket pistol. I fondled nearly every pocket .380 semi there is and the TCP was not even on my radar but after toying with them it will probably the one I buy. It by far has the best trigger and a very short reset and well then there is the price.

The only reason I didn't buy it on the spot was PSA's price... $300 I think I can find it cheaper.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
    Two totally different price ranges with the same purpose.......but TWO different size guns that will carry differently for each individual.

See my post today.... "Oh no, not another Glock 42.
    I was on a list from my LGS and picked up a G42 today. Wife likes it so much better than her TCP. BUT, the TCP is definitely smaller and easier to conceal. The Glock shoots way better though.
    You have to decide how your going to carry and make a decision based on that. I can put the G42 in a Remora and put it in my front jeans pocket and no one would know any better. FWIW I have a KelTec P3AT for a BUG and deep concealment gun. It does it's job very well. :)

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    If you want a .380 to shoot at the range I think I would get the Glock but if you want a .380 for pocket carry the TCP is made for that.

I found this... It may help

Taurus TCP review & back to back comparison with Ruger LCP
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

I got the TCP this week for pocket carry. I have a G26 that's a great gun, but it doesn't pocket carry for me, and I need that for summer. I liked the feel of the TCP a little better than the LCP, and it was the best price between it and the P3AT and LCP. I've had good luck with my other Taurus, so I bought it. Haven't got to the range with it yet.
    ritepath likes this.
    How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    How much is your life worth? Don't skimp on a firearm you may one day need to defend your life.

That's why I went with the LCP over any of the other pocket 380's out there 5 years ago. It's been dead solid perfect with 1500 rounds now...I'm thinking I may pick up a gen2 as a spare. The best part about the LCP is you can actually drop it in your pocket. (not blue jeans) Now that warmer weather is back the shield an 220 are taking a backseat to the LCP again.
    Joe was right.

I don't trust semi auto Taurus firearms. And I just don't like how blocks feel in the hand. But if I had to choose only between those 2 guns, go with the glock. They are stone cold reliable. And reliability is above all else most important. But if I was you I would look into a Ruger LCP, or a Smith 642 j frame for pocket carry. Also the glock is a bit large for pocket carry. Its about the same size as a Bersa Thunder. The Ruger LCP will disappear in a pocket. And the one I had was 100% reliable with anything I fed it. Can't say the same for most any Taurus Semi auto. Now Taurus revolvers are a another story. I love their revolvers. But whatever you get, make sure its what You like. We can
    give you advice, but ultimately you are the one going to have to live with your desition. Go to the range and try to shoot a Cupple different models. Then decide for your self what is best. All in all good luck on your gun purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I shopping for a .380 today. The Glock is out because I want a pocket pistol. I fondled nearly every pocket .380 semi there is and the TCP was not even on my radar but after toying with them it will probably the one I buy. It by far has the best trigger and a very short reset and well then there is the price.

The only reason I didn't buy it on the spot was PSA's price... $300 I think I can find it cheaper.
    Watch then and read some of the Taurus stuff and online..I do NOT shoot from reset dont care what reset is. but in the instructions it says something about the TCP being a gun that has 2 reset points and you need to go to the second one for the gun to work properly...I dont know how much better to explain it since i dont and never have shot from the reset point on any gun(just was never a suggested/taught thing in the military,SWAT/SORT,or LE academies ive been to so ive never used it)so its a moot point to me since I dont use it. I dont consider it the guns fault it cant be shot from first reset point supposedly especially when the instructions say as much..

I think the TCP is an awesome 380. In fact it is the only Taurus I like or would own.
    I have a TCP and have been very happy with it. But I am trading it tomorrow for a 38 snubby.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I like my TCP as a pocket gun. For me, the Glock is just too big. It is the same size as, but thicker than my Sig P938(which I also think is too big for pocket carry). I looked at all the 380 pocket guns before buying the Taurus. The only one I did not consider back then was the Sig P238. In retrospect, hat would be the only one I would have rather purchased instead. The only reason I probably won't sell the TCP to fund a 238 is the gun's intended use. The 238 is just too pretty to beat around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links