Range report Walther PPK/s

This is a discussion on Range report Walther PPK/s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well OK, it's a range report for 4 trips to different ranges. First trip was right after the purchase, using the aftermarket magazine that came ...

Thread: Range report Walther PPK/s

Well OK, it's a range report for 4 trips to different ranges. First trip was right after the purchase, using the aftermarket magazine that came with the pistol. (bought used from a pawnshop) Of course after taking it home and a thorough cleaning & lubrication.
    I shot 150 rds through it with one ftc and one fte.
    I then bought 3 Walther magazines through ebay. In the three subsequent visits to ranges, the pistol has been absolutely flawless, using the Walther mags. It now has over 800 rds through it and using the Walther mags, it has been totally reliable.
    It is flat and very easily concealable, the single action trigger is (now) excellent, no creep, a little overtravel but breaking at about 3 1/2 lb cleanly.
    Double action trigger is very heavy but instead of the DA pull I'm used to with revolvers and other DA autos, the trigger on this pistol is heavy at first and lightens as you pull it. Mind you it does not lighten very much. The DA pull is also quite short. by feel, about half or 2/3 of what my revolvers or other DA / SA pistols have.
    Accuracy is adequate at 25 ft to keep 'em all in a 5" circle DA or SA rapid fire. Sights are marginal, small and difficult to pick up.
    Grip is comfortable and instinctive, the pistol feels good in the hand and points naturally.
    Okay, its a .380 and not equal to my compact .45 or even the .38 snubbie. But it is far more easily concealed and has 8 rds to work with. When I go out and cannot easily conceal a larger firearm, this piece is far better than an excuse and "Yessir, you can have my wallet, my car and my wife too, just don't hurt me."

Happy New Year to all my friends
    and fellow packers.

Roger

the walther ppk is a great gun. long on history and does the job that it is made for. don't need sights for this type of gun, it is a point and shoot gun. not a long range target gun. i got a polish p64, it is a copy of the ppk in 9x18. just one step up over the 380 auto. nothing wrong with the 380 auto, i carry a p3at as my house gun and sometimes as the "bug"
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Almost 80 years of production

I believe the Walther PPK was first produced about 1928, and it has been in almost continuous production ever since, by one company or another. You have to figure that a gun lasting that long has something good about it. It has become a classic, I believe.

Is yours one of the newer models made by S&W or an older Interarms gun? I have always, always wanted a PPK, but lately the Interarms versions of gone up rapidly, and the S&W units haven't got the best reviews. It is still on my list but am afraid the Sig P232 or P230 may be the next on my list. I like you have several larger guns and am looking for a pocket pistol for deeper concealment. Congrats, I am very jealous. If you don't mind what did you give for it? Is it SS or blued.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Kevin;
    The PPK/s is a blued interarms pistol. I don't believe that it had had more than 50 rds put through it before I bought it. I paid $325.00 for it. The pawnshop also had a German made PP in the case for $375.00. Beautiful polished blued finish but 3/4" longer barrel. I might go back for it if I ever get ahold of some money.

Roger

Lead Moderator
    Good report, thanks!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the report. I think you will be well served by the Walther

Man you did GREAT!!! If there is any way you can get the German one I would grab it up. Great price at 4375, offer $350 everyone likes a deal!! I stopped going into our pawn shop because they want more for their used guns than I can get one new for.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

I have a German one.

This is a picture of my W. German made PPK/S sitting on the 15 meter factory test target.

I haven't a clue when it was made but my best estimate is 1970 to 1974. It was made in W. Germany and Imported by Interarms, but not made in the U.S. by Interarms, which they did later on. The fit, finish, and accuracy are exceptional for a pistol with only a 3.3" barrel. I've fired lots of 2" and smaller groups at 25' with it. Its performance is flawless.

It is currently the only gun I carry on a regular basis. I like it so much that I've considered getting a S&W made PPK, blued of course, to carry so this little jewel doesn't get all banged up from being packed all over the place.

Did I mention I really like this little pistol?

Fitch

Talking Great Shooters

I have a PPK/S .380. Mine is also a German pistol . They are great shooters.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Another option in the Carpati Mod.95. It's made in Romania and is a clone of the PPK, albeit with some minor differences, such as a grip that's not as curved, and is a bit longer in the grip front-to-back with the European mag release.

The downside is that, in order to be imported, they fit it with target(!) grips and I've not been able to find any regular grips. I'm a lefty so I sanded down the thumb rest. As well, I've not been able to find extra magazines.

But, it is a shooter. I've not done a formal report; I just dumped a couple hundred rounds of my carry ammo into a tree from 15yds when I bought it. I need to get back out there and practice with it, and take some pics this time.

As well, the disconnect safety has enough tolerance that you can jam this into a person's guts as you can a revolver and use it for a "get off me" gun.

The trigger pull described above sounds exactly how the Carpati sounds.

Even better, I was able to talk the store down to about $100 with a box of ammo thrown in.

The finish is not the best; tool marks are evident. It's military surplus from a former com bloc state afterall. However, I continue to be impressed with the stuff coming out of Romania. I have a .22 trainer that can hold minute-of-angle at 100yds if I do my part, and this lil' pistol isn't half bad either.

Josh <><

Sponsored Links