LCR grip

LCR grip

This is a discussion on LCR grip within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am gonna get laughed at, but here goes. I bought my Ruger LCR (in 38 sp) for the purpose of pocket carry only. So ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By TWO GUNS
  • 2 Post By Doghandler
  • 1 Post By maxwell97
  • 1 Post By molleur

Thread: LCR grip

LCR grip

I am gonna get laughed at, but here goes.
    I bought my Ruger LCR (in 38 sp) for the purpose of pocket carry only. So the Sticky style holster works great up to a point, easily covering even the LCR's big trigger guard; but the tacky rubbery grip rubs on my pants, so I have to be very careful exactly how I slip by fingers around it when I draw it out. If I don't do it perfectly, it hangs up a little. I have heard others complain about the same thing.
    I thought about getting the smoother bantam grip, but people say it is so short that it tends to jump around with rapid firing; and the felt recoil is worse, too, some of them say.
    OK. Here goes. I have found that a layer of Saran wrap around the grip makes the thing slip right out. It may as well be an ivory handle. Elegant and simple. It may look tacky (pun intended) but who cares? After all, it's concealed. Right? I take it off when I'm to the range, and reinstall it again later.
    If anyone out there knows a better solution, I'd like to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by 44hooter View Post
    I bought my Ruger LCR (in 38 sp) for the purpose of pocket carry only. So the Sticky style holster works great up to a point, easily covering even the LCR's big trigger guard; but the tacky rubbery grip rubs on my pants, so I have to be very careful exactly how I slip by fingers around it when I draw it out. If I don't do it perfectly, it hangs up a little. I have heard others complain about the same thing.
    I thought about getting the smoother bantam grip, but people say it is so short that it tends to jump around with rapid firing; and the felt recoil is worse, too, some of them say.
    OK. Here goes. I have found that a layer of Saran wrap around the grip makes the thing slip right out. It may as well be an ivory handle. Elegant and simple. It may look tacky (pun intended) but who cares? After all, it's concealed. Right? I take it off when I'm to the range, and reinstall it again later.
    No reason to laugh at you. I can see how that Hogue Tamer Grip could be a problem for pocket carry. Have you thought about buying some wooden grips?
    Link: Gun Grips | Rosewood Ruger LCR Secret Servic - Rosewood Ruger LCR Secret Service Grips | Gun Grips

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    If it works for you is what counts. I haven't had a problem with my LCR in the pocket but, I have done some unconventional things when concealing my carry gear.

Yes, and this is something everyone might be interested in. I ordered Eagle Grip's rosewood. Beautiful thing, but it is about 1/8 inch short of the trigger guard. This keeps me from getting a comfortable grip. They will send me a refund. Gosh, those grips sure are pretty. Some people think it's like putting lipstick on a pig, but these are probably the same people who don't like "tupperware guns."

You can buy the Bantum Boot grip right from Ruger for $30.
    The sides of the grip are hard plastic so they don't stick in your pocket.
    The grip is also shorter so it is a better fit in the pocket.
    BigJ.56 and ghost tracker like this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    If it works for you is what counts. I haven't had a problem with my LCR in the pocket but, I have done some unconventional things when concealing my carry gear.
    As long as it doesn't require lubrication, I am with this statement. One does what they have to.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I have the Eagle FBI grips on my Ruger KLCR .357mag and really like them. The grips fit my hand just right, and are comfortable even when shooting .357mag loads (I carry the CorBon DPX 110gr. .357mag-slightly less recoil). In fact, yesterday I shot a box of .38spl 147gr reloads (50rds) I got from my LGS, then 20rds of Winchester PDX-1 .38spl+P (another carry load when the CorBon are unavailable), then 20rds of the CorBon DPX 110gr, without any hand pain afterwards at all-fine today also. The Eagle grips seem to handle recoil very well-for me. They sure do make the Ruger look nice too. Take care and be safe.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 44hooter View Post
    The only possible problem I see is the saran wrap wadding up in your pocket and getting wedged between the cylinder and frame. That could be a very bad situation. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have the CT lasergrips, no issues coming out of the pocket.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I like the bantam grip for concealment but not with hot loads. The saran wrap isn't a bad idea. In a pinch you could use it to take home that last piece of green jello salad from the dinner party.
    maxwell97 and BamaT like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    You can buy the Bantum Boot grip right from Ruger for $30.
    The sides of the grip are hard plastic so they don't stick in your pocket.
    The grip is also shorter so it is a better fit in the pocket.
    I used that grip for a good while, but I've now switched back to the standard Tamer. The boot grip IS excellent for pocket carry, making it much easier to draw and harder to print, but I just never felt that I got a good enough grip while shooting. Not that I couldn't hit with it, just that I felt like I was fighting the gun to do it. The standard grip is much better for shooting.

I think the saran-wrap idea is worth a shot. Just make sure it's very tight so it doesn't bunch up or start peeling off.

On a related note, I can't figure out why there aren't more grip designs available for the LCR. It's an extremely popular carry gun, yet I've found only four grips: the standard, the Tamer boot, CT laser grips, and the Secret Service grips. Maybe there are more out there, but I would think there'd be a ton of options.
    miller_man likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member
    Innovation always wins. Coming from a "lefty".
    Doghandler likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post

On a related note, I can't figure out why there aren't more grip designs available for the LCR. It's an extremely popular carry gun, yet I've found only four grips: the standard, the Tamer boot, CT laser grips, and the Secret Service grips. Maybe there are more out there, but I would think there'd be a ton of options.
    I could not have predicted that every wood worker and plastic molder in the country would not have introduced their own custom LCR grip by now.

I don't get it either.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I bought Ruger's boot grip for mine and I like it a lot. The smaller size is no worse than a boot grip on a J-frame, I've had no problems with it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Sponsored Links