Trying to decide

This is a discussion on Trying to decide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With part of my tax return I am considering a Walther PPS or an XD-S. My concern with the XD-S is the recall. Your thoughts ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Trying to decide

Trying to decide

With part of my tax return I am considering a Walther PPS or an XD-S. My concern with the XD-S is the recall. Your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Wouldn't worry about the recall, by the majority of accounts they are performing fine.

If you haven't had a chance to shoot them Both, I'd suggest trying to do so and base your decision on your personal impression(s)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Wouldn't worry about the recall, by the majority of accounts they are performing fine.

If you haven't had a chance to shoot them Both, I'd suggest trying to do so and base your decision on your personal impression(s)
    Agree.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't worry about the recall. Find out what serial number batch was recalled, then get one that doesn't fall in the recall group.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    A shooting buddy of mine has the XDS and loves it. Hasn't had any issues.
    Eric357 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Both mine, and my brother's XDs are fine, post recall. Go for it!
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I'd love to have a SA XDs but I'm saving for a long range hunting rifle. I hear the PPS is a wonderful little pistol but I can't find one locally. As others have suggested, try to shoot them first and then make your decisions.
    Eric357 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    My wife has the Xds and I honestly like it . But I also want to try to get my hand on a pps to try.

I too was in the market for a single stack 9mm not too long ago. I really liked the PPS. The trigger is so smooth and has a very short light reset. But I ended up getting an XDS because I couldn't find a PPS and the XDS is cheaper. The trigger is definitely heavier but almost as good. It too has a short reset and very tactile feel. Since I couldn't find a XDS to test before buying I didn't shoot it as well as the PPS initially. But now that I have had some range time with it I am shooting better.

If I had it to do all over again I would wait until I found a PPS.

I carry the XDS 45 everyday and really cannot say enough good things about it. It has fed (12x) different kinds of self defense & (8x) different kinds of FMJ ammo. Not a single issue. The only thing I can say that kind of worried me; when is was brand new I could not slingshot a round into the chamber, I had to use the slide release to chamber the round. After about 50 rounds thru the XDS, I can slingshot any & all ammo I put through it. I just think that the tolerances were a bit tight and it was not broken in. One of the best pistol purchases I have ever made. Very tight, Small, Well built, attention to detail is evident.

I am sure that the PPS is a fine hand gun, I do not have any experience with it though.
    Eric357 likes this.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    The xds is super slim and is a great EDC. You can get away with a tshirt when using a good IWB holster
    Eric357 likes this.

I would go with the PPS for no other reason then it doesn't have a grip safety.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I would go with the PPS for no other reason then it doesn't have a grip safety.
    Does that mean you're not a fan of 1911's either? Just asking.

I can say this, recall or not, the XDS has one of the finest striker fired triggers I have ever shot. Felt like a single action to me. Accuracy for me followed that model. Great gun.
    Eric357 and Taurahe like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have owned both. And I still own the PPS. I really liked the xds, but PPS just surpasses the xds. Probably will spend more money, but its definitely worth it.
    BradL likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links