The importance of checking your gear before heading out.

This is a discussion on The importance of checking your gear before heading out. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC (M&P9 full size) recently had a critical failure and I just wanted to share my experience. I have a drill I run through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: The importance of checking your gear before heading out.

The importance of checking your gear before heading out.

My EDC (M&P9 full size) recently had a critical failure and I just wanted to share my experience.

I have a drill I run through every time I strap up.
    • Check the holster for cracks and/or loose fasteners before puting it on my belt.
    • Unload the gun I plan on carryign (triple check), holster, draw and dry fire at least three times.
    • Load gun, press check to ensure chamber loaded and holster.

Well, on Friday I proceeded with my little routine though this time things were different.

Drew the pistol, got a proper site picture (today the "bad guy" was a water bottle on the dresser) pulled the trigger... NOTHING.
    Thinking I must have not cocked it somehow or dry fired before holstering, I racked the slide and went through the process again. Pulled the trigger again and NOTHING.

Racked the slide back to disassemble the pistol and it was somewhat difficult to do. I get the slide back and noticed something fall out of the empty mag well.

After disassemble I realize the "arm" or "leg" of my striker had sheered off.

Doing some research I found that this is a common problem with this style striker and that S&W has since fixed the issue in newer guns.

I contacted S&W and they said they were out of stock on parts and that only the armorers had a supply that could ONLY be used for guns sent in.
    I ended up finding a local armorer that replaced it, free of charge. I now have a newer model striker in my pistol. I checked the compact I have as well and it has a newer striker from the factory.

Anyway, I wanted to share this experience to stress the importance of checking the items you entrust your life to on a daily basis.

Had I needed my gun that day, I would have been in trouble.

2. Remove Ads

Dang, I also have a m&p9 although it was test fired November 2013. I don't dry fire before holstering and thought it was a little absurd you was. Thanks for the lesson. I do press checks everyday on my carry piece (kahr) and my bedside(m&p9).
    Pyzik likes this.

I'll have to start checking better I think. I do press check and look at my gear real well but I don't dry fire. This is something that I'll have to start doing more often. As you said I'd hate to need it and nothing happens.
    Pyzik likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member
    Remember the Boy Scout motto guy's!
    Pyzik likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Look for girl scouts everywhere you go?
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    "Be Prepared!"

I wanted to add, the pistol had about 3k rounds down range including one and a half defensive pistol classes (half of one class was ran with my compact).
    I can't even put a number on how many times I've dry fired the pistol.

check my rig, clear my weapon, slap in a mag, release the slide, decock and holster it.. that's my story

Not sure about the dry fire mulitple times part.. sorry your EDC broke, glad you found it before needing it and glad you could get it fixed.
    Pyzik and cjkent like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Good thing you caught it when you did.
    Not sure about regular dry firing on an empty chamber. Some striker-fired pistols don't like that.
    The pictures are interesting. Looks like a fatigue crack. The bright area was the last part to hold.
    The dark parts have likely been cracked for a while.
    Pyzik likes this.

I just learned a good lesson, thanks Pyzil. I just holster and go. Time to start a check routine
    cjkent and Taurahe like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

That is one reason I carry a pocket BUG.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Let us look at this from a math point of view:

1. If you never had been dry firing and messing with your gun everyday to see if it worked.....you might not have had this failure.
    2. Since this happened on the first try to dry fire that morning....you would have been in a world of hurt if you had to have used your weapon the day before.

Glad you did find a failure that can be corrected though. I take down my EDC once a week to clean and check out. I do not dry fire.
    Bad Bob, cjkent, Mike1956 and 1 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Hmm, I dry fire all my guns (except .22s, which I was taught not to when I was just a little one).
    Though I see what you're saying about wear.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757815_-1_757814_757812_image#2
    Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?
    Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Hmm, I dry fire all my guns (except .22s, which I was taught not to when I was just a little one).
    Though I see what you're saying about wear.
    I did not say it is wrong to dry fire certain handguns. Just saying that I do not.
    Pyzik likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Administrator
    Yup, thats the old assembly, and one of the main reasons I did not like the M&P when they first came out. The new one is much much better. Not to beat a dead horse, but that should have been replaced a while ago.
    Pyzik, suntzu and Aceoky like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, thats the old assembly, and one of the main reasons I did not like the M&P when they first came out. The new one is much much better. Not to beat a dead horse, but that should have been replaced a while ago.
    Yeah, hah! I found that out.

The new striker is much nicer. Smoother too. I had the old one polished and this new one doesn't even need it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links