Oiling the Bore

Oiling the Bore

This is a discussion on Oiling the Bore within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I learned to take down my p938 for cleaning via the manual & YouTube. I have been reading mixed opinion on lightly oiling the bore ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Oiling the Bore

Oiling the Bore

I learned to take down my p938 for cleaning via the manual & YouTube. I have been reading mixed opinion on lightly oiling the bore of a pistol with seeming consensus only if doing so for long-term storage. Of the people who do lightly oil the bore on a regularly used/carried gun, my understanding is it should be wiped down to prevent excess before shooting. I have never oiled the bore, and I'm wondering if I should after each cleaning or periodically to prevent rust? I've been afraid to do something wrong. Can you kindly advise? Thank you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I send oil down the bore every time I clean--but I live in a very humid environment. I have found that running a couple of dry patches after with a jag is immensely effective in removing excess oil from the bore of a gun, leaving just a hint in the barrel. Just my 2 cent's worth. I'm sure others will chime in.

OH--and for 38-45 caliber (the ones I have) I use 12 gauge patches.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I use CLP for cleaning and lube. Frog lube provides similar capability. Spray it, let it sit while I clean the rest of the pistol, then go back and run patches or snake through it until clean. The CLP leave a light layer of lubricant that won't interfere with bullets down the barrel while also providing a layer of protection from humidity.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I like the Rem oil whipes .. I try to run one of thouse down the bore when I clean ... Its a toss up to me .. I usally try to get either CLP or Rem oil whipes down the bore ..

I like the whipes as they are pretty dry and good for just a nice light coat ...
    redbirddog5 and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I use Rem oil in the bore because it's a thin lube. There is no need to wipe it down before shooting if a light coat is used. I have had rust in a bore from a gun sitting only 2 weeks. Believe me, you don't want rust pits in the barrel grooves. A thin coat works the same as a heavy coat.

Quote Originally Posted by redbirddog5 View Post
    I learned to take down my p938 for cleaning via the manual & YouTube. I have been reading mixed opinion on lightly oiling the bore of a pistol with seeming consensus only if doing so for long-term storage. Of the people who do lightly oil the bore on a regularly used/carried gun, my understanding is it should be wiped down to prevent excess before shooting. I have never oiled the bore, and I'm wondering if I should after each cleaning or periodically to prevent rust? I've been afraid to do something wrong. Can you kindly advise? Thank you.

Distinguished Member
    Like wyoung I live in very thick humidity. I run an oil wipe down the bore of mine just to give it enough to help stop rust.
    redbirddog5 and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I use M-Pro 7 products for cleaning and oiling. After I clean a gun, I run an oiled patch through the bore followed by a dry patch to remove any excess oil.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I use Frog Lube on the entire gun, including the bore. I feel it makes cleaning easier.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Guns in storage get a oiled patch run through them and left that way. Guns that are in use--SD/HD/taking out to the range--get an oiled patch followed up with a clean patch to remove excess. Never had a problem even in this FL heat and humidity.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The old school instructions used to read: Anoint bore with oil. Remove excess.

Simple, really. Just oil it down, run a dry patch thru it, and call it a day. Nothing to it.

And YES, oil the bore. As well as the other exterior & interior metal parts on your weapon, with the exception of any areas that the manual tells you to not oil.

I have been using Mil Comm, MC 25 & TW 25 lube, because that's what's pitched by sig; however, I do have some Frog Lube. I also have some Hoope's 9 wipes, but they are very oily, IMO. I have seen CLP spray & Rem spray at wal-mart. I have been using mainly long, wooden stick type q-tips to clean, so to run an oil wipe or patch through the bore, I guess I need one of those rods? Also, the cleaning rod is only suppose to be pushed through in one direction, correct? That's why I love the q-tips. I'm afraid of damaging something with a cleaning rod. Would I be able to see any rust formation without a bore light? Thanks so much for the replies & help! It gets very humid in the summer where I am too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    The old school instructions used to read: Anoint bore with oil. Remove excess.

Simple, really. Just oil it down, run a dry patch thru it, and call it a day. Nothing to it.

And YES, oil the bore. As well as the other exterior & interior metal parts on your weapon, with the exception of any areas that the manual tells you to not oil.
    I have at least oiled the exterior parts and all the interior parts that I understand should be oiled (mainly the slide rails). I put a little skiff on interior parts that see impact (like the back of the hammer) of "pointy" places like where the top of the bore & slide have contact.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Redbirddog--I think the traditional wisdom has always discouraged shoving the junk out of a barrel and into the action. But since most pistols break down to the point where your barrel is isolated, I think it is irrevelant as to which direction (although I am sure there are purists who would cringe at the idea of damaging the crown of the muzzle with a rod or brush.) I really think that investing in a cleaning rod, bronze brush, and jag would make your job easier. When you think of what happens to that gun when you pull the trigger with a live round in the chamber, a bit of rubbing and scrubbing (with love and tenderness) is easier to put into perspective.

Like LimaCharlie, I have discovered MPro products and their gun cleaner is a real crud buster. I usually send a wet patch full of this down the barrel, follow that with a few brush strokes, and wash the entire mess out with an oil covered patch--then a couple of dry patches to get rid of any excess. Just one guy's opinion....... It's a gun and is really not fragile.

I use one of the Outer's Gun Cleaning kits with the vinyl covered wire pull through systems. I always go from breech to muzzle to keep the crud out of the action and protect the crown. If you don't run a bore brush through it, lead or copper can build up to where you are exceeding the recommended pressure of the ammo.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links