Ria 1911 ms

Ria 1911 ms

This is a discussion on Ria 1911 ms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up my new RIA 1911 MS today. Wow was that complicated for a non 1911 guy. I am used to assembling/disassembling Kahrs, Glocks, Springfield ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Ria 1911 ms

Ria 1911 ms

Picked up my new RIA 1911 MS today. Wow was that complicated for a non 1911 guy. I am used to assembling/disassembling Kahrs, Glocks, Springfield Arms and my little Seecamp. I think I have it under control now, but it was not easy. I am happy to say the RIA is tight and well put together, but challenging to work with. I would bet it is my own inexperiance for sure. Tomorrow, hopefully a range report. Any assistance would be appreciated. By the way, the RIA youtube site made all of the difference.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    RIA's are great guns. You will be satisfied. What assistance exactly do you need?
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Very difficult to dissassemble at first. Paperclip thing. Is there a tool or easy way to deal with the spring bushing? my hands are sore.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I would bet it is my own inexperiance for sure.
    I'd bet you are correct.

The 1911 platform is dead simple to detail strip and reassemble, once you get to know them.
    RebelSoul, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    You may need a bushing wrench.
    CAN'T MAR? 1911 AUTO BUSHING WRENCH | Brownells

Check out the instructional video.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yes it looks like that would be an assist.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It seems like every time I've logged on here the last few weeks I've found another thread praising the RIA 1911's. I may need to make one my first 1911 down the road!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

So these are good guns? One of our LGSs has them at a really good price. So good I assumed they couldn't be that great actually.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The slide spring is heavy duty.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    So these are good guns? One of our LGSs has them at a really good price. So good I assumed they couldn't be that great actually.
    Excellent pistol for the money.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Macdicdad, it will get easier after you dissassemble a few times. Both because you will gain experience, and because after your gun breaks in a while the parts will get easier to manipulate.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

And yes Guys, these are great guns for the money. They would be great guns at a higher price even. I have been extremely satisfied with my RIA. It is my favorite 1911 by far, and I have/had several others. Most reviews I have seen have been very positive.

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    You may need a bushing wrench.
    CAN'T MAR? 1911 AUTO BUSHING WRENCH | Brownells

Check out the instructional video.
    I believe he would want the tool that compresses the guide rod spring and allows the paperclip to be removed and reinserted. It's round with a slot in it that just fits over the guide rod. I just looked at mine, but there's no name on it and I don't remember where I got it. Even though I have the tool I haven't taken apart a guide rod yet. It's a just in case, too. I probably threw it in with something I was ordering.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Any ideas for a holster after I become proficient!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have an Armscor as well - citadel 1911 9mm compact. It was my first 1911. It definitely gets easier to break down and reassemble after you do it a few times.

I just took mine to the range tonight as a matter of fact. Its so accurate its sick. Helen Keller could make a big ragged hole in the paper with a .45 - its like shooting a Hotchkiss haha!

Now don't get me wrong, I love my .45 too, but when you can make a big ragged hole with your 9mm - its pretty doggone accurate. And I'm no Bill Hickok I assure you.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 1911 from the Philippines. IMHO they have several manufacturers making some of the best bang for your buck 1911s on the market.

EDIT - I ordered a recoil spring assembly for my ATI Titan from Kimber and it came with the little breakdown tool. I'm sure you can get one from them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links