S&W Model 10-5 2" barrel square butt

This is a discussion on S&W Model 10-5 2" barrel square butt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those who saw my earlier thread about the Smith model 10/13 conversion, that turned out not to be a conversion but a factory prototype, may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: S&W Model 10-5 2" barrel square butt

Those who saw my earlier thread about the Smith model 10/13 conversion, that turned out not to be a conversion but a factory prototype, may remember at the end of that thread I mentioned that same store had a 2" Model 10 square butt.

Well went back to the store and it was still there. Got the price down to $375, and the 2" Model 10 square butt is now in the house! Or, more precisely, in the safe!

Here she is:

image.jpg

No trigger job, but the action is really smooth. I don't see hardly any muzzle movement when dry firing double action.

There are a couple of places of some minor oxidation on one of the cylinder flutes and on the side plate that I haven't had a chance to work on yet, but overall the finish is pretty good. Lockup and timing are good. I think this gun was carried a lot more than shot in it's previous life, but that's about to change!

I'm inclined to get a Tyler T-grip for it. Also, after seeing Bmcgilvray mention the Bell Charter Oak Mae West II IWB holster in my 10/13 thread, and looking at those on their website, one of those will probably be on the way soon. I really like the looks and features on this holster, with the clip over the trigger guard not the cylinder to reduce bulk and the hammer shroud to prevent the hammer from digging into your side. That's a good thing for me, as i have a little more overhang on my sides than I would like!

Here's a pic from their website:

image.jpg

I'm a happy camper!
    Last edited by BamaT; April 10th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Very nice. Good price too.
    BamaT and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Unless there's something catastrophically wrong, you've got an excellent gun. Had one years ago (4") with a glass-smooth trigger and gorgeous blue luster finish. Sold it when I needed a few bucks and I've kicked myself ever since. With that short barrel, you have picked up one you should never trade off....and I've got T-grips on a couple of my revolvers. They don't create any additional bulk, but give you something to hang on to. Congratulations....she's a beauty.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on a great gun at a great price, you will not be disappointed. I just wish I had a nickel for every mile I carried one while on active duty.
    gatorbait51, 5lima30ret and BamaT like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nicely composed photo of your new square butt 2-inch Model 10. Really, one of the best .38 Snubs ever. Sure will be glad to hear a shooting report on it.

I need to add T-Grips to my 2-inch K-Frames.

My two-inch square butt was tapped for weekend duty just this past weekend. All day Saturday and all day Sunday including a 3-hour mini-road trip either way, with a stop or two. Perfect comfort and no one had to know. Was with a bunch of shooters on Saturday and visited my sister's church on Sunday. Even after coming out of a coat and a jacket, the revolver stayed concealed beneath a sweater vest
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

She's a real beauty. I love the magna grips on that gun.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Senior Moderator
    Nice pistol
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Bama T
    Check a bit deeper before ordering the Tyler T grip, there have been some complaints recently about the company. Guys were saying they ordered, the account was charged and it had been several months with no grip delivered. I had intended to order so and tried contact the company multiple times by phone and E mail, I never got any response. I never did order the grip, even though its not a lot of money I was not willing to take the gamble. If anyone has any updates or knows of changes with his service please advise, I'd still like to get the grips.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I heard the same rumblings about Tyler. I've also never been too fond of their grip-adapter attachment method. IMHO, it would be pretty easy to work up J & K frame adapters that tie into the grip screw without Tyler patent-infringement issues. Funny, I imagine they'd make themselves VERY easy to find if they thought they could SUE me, yet finding them to sell me something is another case entirely.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Congrats! I carried one like that until we got the Beretta's, when I was aircrew.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Awesome find! I am very fond of my 10-2 snubbie. A great carry piece. Have fun with it!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I'll feeling covetous. Thou hast made me stumble.

Super Snubbie if there ever was!
    You have until 6:00 to leave town.

Break your gun on a stump!

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    That is a very nice revolver. You can't go wrong with a K frame S&W, especially the "Pinned Barrel" models. Check the inside of the grips to see if they match the serial number. Matching grips are plus. If they match, you got a very good deal..
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    Bama T
    Check a bit deeper before ordering the Tyler T grip, there have been some complaints recently about the company. Guys were saying they ordered, the account was charged and it had been several months with no grip delivered. I had intended to order so and tried contact the company multiple times by phone and E mail, I never got any response. I never did order the grip, even though its not a lot of money I was not willing to take the gamble. If anyone has any updates or knows of changes with his service please advise, I'd still like to get the grips.
    Wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks for the heads up.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I heard the same rumblings about Tyler. I've also never been too fond of their grip-adapter attachment method. IMHO, it would be pretty easy to work up J & K frame adapters that tie into the grip screw without Tyler patent-infringement issues. Funny, I imagine they'd make themselves VERY easy to find if they thought they could SUE me, yet finding them to sell me something is another case entirely.
    Thanks for the additional input on the T-grips Ghost Tracker. What you said about the way an adapter may be should attach makes sense.

Sounds like I may need to reconsider that option.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links