Glock 26 or Shield?

Glock 26 or Shield?

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or Shield? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've officially had my CCL since Monday of last week, and have been appendix carrying a Glock 17 because it's the only gun I have. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or Shield?

Glock 26 or Shield?

I've officially had my CCL since Monday of last week, and have been appendix carrying a Glock 17 because it's the only gun I have. I am starting to think I may want to be able to bend down to tie my shoes sometime in the future, and once I can afford it I'd like to purchase a compact 9mm for carry while keeping the G17 around for competitions and my nightstand. Logic dictates that the smoothest transition would be to a G26 because of its identical trigger and ergonomics, as well as the ability to use the same magazines on the range and as back-ups. However, the G26 is simply a 17 with a chopped grip and barrel, and it's still a double stack. The Smith and Wesson Shield seems to be the upcoming competitor because it is such a slim single-stack, and holding it in the store it was a night and day difference. However, it has a thumb safety built in, having been raised on Glocks that may be a rough learning curve for me. The Shield will definitely be more comfortable to carry, but is it too small for the caliber while the G26 is a safer bet?

If you can conceal a 17 then you would have no problem with a 26. Additionally, in most cases, your holsters for the 17 can be used with the 26 saving you money there. If you're looking for something to be that much smaller than the 17 that you question the size difference between that and a 26 then I would consider an LCP or something like that. Previously, I shot a friend's Shield and did not think it was worth selling my 26 for.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    ~ Brian

Be ready for a flood of opinions! And I will certainly give you mine but you might want to shoot the shield and find out how you like it. You say its too small for the caliber and I will disagree with you there. They base the shield around the 40S&W, so the 9mm is quite controllable. I have owned the shield, and own a G26. I have also owned a lot of the other single stack competitors and right now I have two carry guns, G26 and Walther PPS.
    The PPS is really the single stack that Glock refuses to make. No safety except for the trigger safety, and the trigger is actually even better than a glock. I think the PPS is more comparable to the H&K quality. Super nice gun and you should consider that one if you want thin single stack concealability.
    Anyways, I own the G26 and I was pleasantly surpised at how easy it is to conceal that gun. It is one of the shortest guns in the handle that you can find, therefore super easy to hide. I have a PJ holster for it, simple kydex minimal design, and it completely disappears. G26 in the appendix position is completely gone. The gun is just super easy to hide. A G26 does make the most sense for you since you already have the G17 and can carry a 17 round backup mag.
    I highly recommend the PJ Holster, as well as Cooks Holster. But any mininalistic holster works best for deep concealment.
    I think G26 would be a wise choice for you. BUT if you really want a single stack, extremely accurate, glock like, then look no further than the PPS. You will pay a little more, but worth every penny. Also has a rail on it for a light or laser if thats what you want. G26 has no rail.
    Theres my 2 cents.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I have a fullsize Glock (31C) the 27 and a shield. The G27 is more comfortable for concealment than the fullsize. The shield is more comfortable than the G27.

I carry the G27 unless I am mowing the lawn and then carry the shield. The safety on a shield is a non issue, it is done in such a manner as to make it optional. My carry mode for the G27 is with a G23 mag, so it fits mt hand better.
    whittsailor and andrewcdub like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

It is tough to beat a Glock 26 in any type of carry gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I'm going to suggest something in between a G-17 and G-26, G-19 would be perfect! Its a good balance of shootability, ammo capacity, and concealability. You can use your G-17 mags you already have. Good luck!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I carry a G30S but also own the Shield. I agree that a G26 is tough to beat but my Shield has been flawless. Also, as a lefty I don't engage the safety and it hasn't been a problem. At nearly $ 200.00 less than the G26 you can't go wrong with the Shield.

26 :) I love mine
    SwordMaster and tacos3 like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

There is no wrong answer, but I'll second or third the ideas that the 9mm Shield is not, in fact, too small for its caliber (the thing shoots like a dream) and that the safety is a non-issue. I only use my safety when I holster because I'm not totally used to my new holster and want to be as safe as possible. A lot of folks just ignore the safety entirely and the design is such that you can do that easily.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If your going to carry the 17 at all I would stay with the same type and function of handgun and buy the glock 26 . Do change designs. You can buy the X grip sleeve for larger glock mags. If your not going to CC the glock17 then look at kahrs as they have large to small models that all feel the same and for a smaller pistol and maybe the only mid or large pistol in the brand Tuarus , there PT111 G2 . A double stack 12 shot pistol that's gets very reviews.

You appendix carry a G17.....wow! It really all comes down to whether you want to go with a single stack or double, and if you want to deviate from the Glock platform. If you are considering the Shield, I would urge you to also check out the Springfield XDs.

The G26 will conceal just as well as the Shield, although the Shield might be slightly more comfortable due to thickness. If you are already carrying a G17, the G26 will feel like nothing. I have a Nano, but I rarely carry it since I got the G26. For me, the Glock shoots like a full size pistol and I just hit better with it.
    bigpapa likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

What helps is I have a 26 inch waist, fought featherweight in boxing and never quite grew out of it. I had to heavily modify the Blade-Tech IWB holster shaving off the end of the muzzle end and trimming the sweat guard, I have a background doing kydex so it was a gradual process because I refused to take off too much material without testing. As you can see, it works, but there's slight printing under my ribs and the barrel length is an issue. If I went with the 26, I could trim down this holster further to match the 26's barrel, and then save my 17 for range use with my OWB holster.
    10155696_10202751366322699_5380498079691993403_n.jpg

Then again...I need to fire a Shield and see how it feels.

Distinguished Member
    Tuesdays Thursdays and Saturdays I carry my g 19. The other days the g 26 Just kidding, I actually rotate to whatever I feel like that day. Since you have the 17 I'd drop down to the 26. You already know the glock platform, cleaning etc. Why complicate life? Seriously, both are nice weapons (glock or shield) so there is no wrong choice. And neither weapon is one anybody could look at and say. "You chose that???" (if they did you would just write them off as an idiot).
    bigpapa likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I have all 3 (g17, g26, shield) that you refer to. Was shooting/carrying the 17 & 26 way before I ever shot a Shield. Between the 26 and the Shield, I carry the Shield. I shoot it better than the 26 and it carries more comfortably. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the 26 at all. I will say that out of all my various pistols, the G26 is my least favorite, least used now. However, the modularity between Glocks in the same caliber makes it a no brainer to buy/own a 26 if you already own a 17.
    Last edited by Sectionchief; April 10th, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links