Picked up a Ruger LCR today.

This is a discussion on Picked up a Ruger LCR today. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't even had a chance to get it to the range yet! Picked up an LCR, the .38 Special version, just got it today. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Picked up a Ruger LCR today.

Picked up a Ruger LCR today.

I haven't even had a chance to get it to the range yet! Picked up an LCR, the .38 Special version, just got it today. Overall I'm very impressed! Smallest, lightest .38 revolver I can even imagine! Seriously, this thing is like 14 oz or so empty. I'm also really impressed with the trigger, very smooth and slick for a brand new, out-of-the-box gun. It will probably get even better after a few hundred rounds. While the gun is rated for +P ammo I can't imagine shooting a lot of the hot stuff through 'er given how light she is.

I've have probably ten revolvers over the last 30 years, and all but one were .38 Special or .357 Mag so you'd think I'd have at least a box or two of ammo laying around, right? NOPE! Rummaged through my ammo box and found .44 Spec, .44 Mag, .45 LC, 30-40 Krag, .303 British, .444 Marlin (note: I have ever owned either of the last two!)...all kinds of stuff that I can't tell you the origin of or my reason for having it, but no .38 Special! Actually had to make a Wally-World run to snag a box.

With luck I might be able to hit the range before work, otherwise I won't get to try her out til Monday. But I think she's gonna be a sweet little pocket gun/backup piece!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Did you get the XS sights ? Makes a world of difference. I've pocket carried mine in a Galco holster
    for so long I don't know it's there. It does "bite" but nothing compared to a Smith 642 Airweight.
    BamaT likes this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

No, just the stock sights. If I like the gun after running it awhile I'll add night sight if possible. Looks like just one pin holding the blade in? Hard to tell in this light.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! Think I will be getting one myself in the next week or so. I'm 75-85% sold on the LCR over the 442, just for the sake of being able to put a real sight on it and the trigger, held and dry fired one last weekend - really is a nice trigger. I haven't held a J frame in a while - would like to compare the two side by side before I buy.

Looking forward to getting a snub nose for the occasional pocket carry myself this summer. Which holster(s) are you looking at?

From what I've read + seen changing out the front sight is a breeze. XS sends a little punch and replacement pin with their front sight.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Still thinking a bit about the holster. Every gun I actually carry has a Garrett Silent Thunder rig for it. Garrett holsters are fantastic, so my natural impulse is to get another one for the LCR. But I'm not sure the LCR is really the kind of gun that I would carry OWB or IWB. If I have to go to the trouble of actually putting on a belt/gunbelt and strapping on a holster I would probably rather wear my Nano (9mm has a bit more punch and the gun holds 7/9 rounds). I have one Kydex rig from ZCS that is pretty nice, maybe I'll get a kydex pocket holster for the gun. Not really sure which way to go. I have very little experience with pocket holsters but I don't like the idea of carrying a gun in my pocket without one.

I'm glad to see the XS sight will be simple to install. Eventually I'll probably do that. I'm a big fan of tritium night sights and dot sights in general. A plain black blade disappears on many/most targets.

Congrat's on the purchase that's a nice little gun. Hope your range time goes well and make sure to let us know what you think afterwards.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Congratulations on your new gun. I'm partial to Ruger myself. Pocket holster? It just seems to me that every pocket carry mishap I have ever heard of starts with an unholstered gun in the pocket. That's not scientific but as for me I support your decision whole heartedly!
    Sleepnheat, BamaT and Phaedrus like this.

Excellent choice. I've got one with the crimson grip in .357.
    xds45 likes this.

Good choice!

I've had a LCR357 since they came out. I pocket carry it and carry it AIWB. I've shot mid range 357 and 38s from it. Over 3000 rounds now. While in Fl. For the Winter it has been the perfect waistband gun with my 442 as back up in the pocket. When I carry my SP101 or 7 shot Taurus the LCR357 drops in the pocket for backup. Also when the Wife snags the 442 the the LCR is the pocket back up. The XS sight was easy to install and makes the gun ready for night stand duty.
    Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Did you get the XS sights ? Makes a world of difference. I've pocket carried mine in a Galco holster
    for so long I don't know it's there. It does "bite" but nothing compared to a Smith 642 Airweight.
    Does "bite" mean recoil?

Congrats on your Ruger, Phaedrus! Enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Congrats on the LCR. I have my eyes on one myself. They don't sit on the shelves very long here. You hesitate and they are gone.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Carry mine every chance I get. On the hunt for a big brother 3 inch SP 101.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Congrats I know you will love it! I love mine but it does "bite" with +P loads! I pocket carry mine in a Nemesis. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. 5 Star makes a real nice speed loader for the LCR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links