Remington R51 ... Junk !!

This is a discussion on Remington R51 ... Junk !! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok .. .I bought the R51. It was the 2014th one produced. Took it apart, cleaned, then went to the range. Fired 100 rounds through ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Remington R51 ... Junk !!

New Member Array MACCOUNTRYPILOT's Avatar

Remington R51 ... Junk !!

Ok .. .I bought the R51. It was the 2014th one produced. Took it apart, cleaned, then went to the range. Fired 100 rounds through it all premium ammo. had 8 failure to feeds and 5 other failure to fire situations. When I got it home, I took it apart for cleaning. the spring bushing was severely scratched and gouged. The rear sites were loose and wont hold a setting. When you rack the slide it feels gritty and sticky. I sent it back to Remington for repair. After 2 weeks I tried to use their site to see the progress of the repair. The site kept coming up with a coding error. I waited a couple of days and tried it again and now it works but the site cannot seem to find any info on the repair. Si, I called the company wand was told that indeed they did have my gun and it was being looked at but could not tell me anything else about the repair itself or what the status was. In effect, the company knows nothing other than they have my gun! What a Mickey Mouse origination!! This i sthe first thing I ever bought from Remington and based on this experience I wouldn't buy anything from them in the future
    5lima30ret and Kennydale like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Sorry to hear your experience which seems to be a re-occurring theme with the Remington's poor quality these days. Its a shame because at one time their quality was top notch .
    gatorbait51 and Kennydale like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get over it. You bought a new model firearm that works differently than others. Expect it to be different. Not working? Many new models do have bugs. You sent it in. Things take time, can't have instant gratification in everything no matter how much one expects it.
    ccw9mm, OD*, Ianthin and 14 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's sad. I liked what I've read on the R51 & was considering the purchase. Thanks for the heads-up. Honestly, when I saw their anticipated MSRP, I was concerned about fit & function. Now, I know.
    Taurahe and gatorbait51 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    That's a damn shame... The Remington 1911s turned out to be such a good gun for the money I was hoping their second handgun would meet that bar.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Welcome to the forum, from Georgia. Kind of a shame you joined now, and didn't read some of the threads already started about the rocky start this platform seems to be having. Some people have had success with the R 51, and others have suffered like you. Remington used to make some great products, but it seems of late they are faltering. Hope they can get you fixed up. Hang in there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thanks for posting your report, MACCOUNTRYPILOT.

I had planned to get an R51 after they were on the market for a while because they looked/sounded promising based on initial reviews. (Though I never put a lot of faith in magazine reviews)

I'm really disappointed to hear that about Remington; I have two Remmy shotguns (1100s, a 12g & a 20g) and two rifles (700 BDL in 270 & a 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06) and they have all been flawless.
    Last edited by Sontag; April 12th, 2014 at 12:40 AM.

Hopefully they will make it right. Though my problems weren't as serious, I learned to not be a first adopter aka beta tester after buying one of the first LC9s.
    CIBMike, 10thmtn and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I bet if you call most manufacturers they also won't be able to tell you where along in the repair line it is. Figure they get a lot of repairs, they sit in a bin and are removed when repairs are to start, then a few technicians and gun smiths will need to look at it, then go to the right work station. It's only when it gets to the end of the line that someone will look at the serial number. Imagine if you were a gunsmith and you were working on 24 pistols a day and there were 10 gunsmiths and each and every owner called everyday asking for a status update. I don't know about you but I would rather the gunsmith's thought processes were un-interrupted while he's working on my piece, that while he's working on my piece he isn't thinking about 20 others.

Personally, I think you may be over-reacting. Give them time to actually identify a fault and do the right fix. For all we know it could have been user error, that when you initially took it apart you didn't put it back together correctly, that the recoil spring could have been installed backwards or you didn't seat the slide stop spring correctly. That would probably give you FTFeeds and FTEs. FTFire is another matter, though, although you mentioned that the recoil spring guide was gouged, which may mean that it wasn't going straight back. Give them some time to correct it, to actually find a fault.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Get over it. You bought a new model firearm that works differently than others. Expect it to be different. Not working? Many new models do have bugs. You sent it in. Things take time, can't have instant gratification in everything no matter how much one expects it.
    But, but, but,
    A new firearm should not have to go back to the manufacturer for anything!
    An occasional manufacturing issue should be addressed such as Ruger does.
    They have lousy C/S!
    Many reviews have proven them to be junk!
    Give me a good single stack 1911A1 anytime.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

very disappointing to buy a gun that is of questionable quality
    it's not like a toaster, or a product that you can just return to the store for a refund should it not work properly
    and once you have it in your mind that it is a piece of junk, and the manufacturer does not follow up on the repair process (which they should in the case of a firearm, especially a new model), it can be very difficult to have confidence in it (and them)
    we buy these things on reputation, and expect them to work properly
    after all, this is a product that we rely on to save lives
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    But, but, but,
    A new firearm should not have to go back to the manufacturer for anything!
    An occasional manufacturing issue should be addressed such as Ruger does.
    They have lousy C/S!
    Many reviews have proven them to be junk!
    Give me a good single stack 1911A1 anytime.
    That sounds so . . . you!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Thank you!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Administrator
    I think any one of our more industry savvy members could've told you that long before you wasted your money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Keep seeing/hearing this about these guns - not good, sorry about your luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links