A Problem I Wish All My Guns Had

This is a discussion on A Problem I Wish All My Guns Had within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a full-size M&P regularly for a year or so. Since early on, the locked slide releases by itself whenever a loaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A Problem I Wish All My Guns Had

VIP Member

I have been carrying a full-size M&P regularly for a year or so. Since early on, the locked slide releases by itself whenever a loaded mag is inserted. My compact version of the same gun never does it. Anyone know what causes it, or what can be done to make them all do it?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I see more and more posts like this; none of my guns have ever done this. What am I doing wrong? Sounds like a nice feature, but everything I have read says it never happens 100% of the time. All the responses to people who report this say to never count on it working this way.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    my friend had a 9mm baby eagle that did the same thing. it took seating the some mag with a firm stroke, a gentle click wouldn't do it. Everything I had heard is that it is not intentional, and it is a result of the slide catch. if the notch in the slide is worn or deformed in such a way as the "slope" of the catch is the "wrong" direction, it *can* make it do this. same with the slope of the interfacing area in the slide catch itself. I would imagine with some jewelers files, some emery cloth, and some elbow grease with your thinking cap on you could reproduce the results. especially since you have almost identical guns side by side you just "make this one look like that one". Though like you say, it's ont gauraunteed to do it everytime.

though my buddies baby eagle did it everytime you firmly seated a mag.... I thought it was great.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Not uncommon in various makes and models, especially if you are very "positive" with your mag slap. I find it happens in all of my Sigs. Push the mag in as in an administrative load, and it stays locked, but during an emergency reload it often releases. The slide catch is a simple lever that holds the slide back with only a small bit of contact and no sort of lock or safety like a trigger sear would have.

I've had one instructor in particular tell me to run the slide manually anyhow, with the philosophy that losing one bullet is better than having an empty chamber.

Others have said to leave it be.

I've done it both ways, but never, ever have found an empty chamber, whether I ejected the round or fired it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My glocks do it when I am enthusiastic in slapping home the magazine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    My Glock 30 does it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

My glock 32 does it. I know some guns are made so that if you slam the mag in a certain way it releases the slide. Also if you slam it in hard it will happen more frequently. I wouldnt get accustomed to it though unless it happens every time. You dont want to be in a gun fight and expect it to happen and it doesnt and you poke your head out with out a round chambered.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have to 'slam' the magazine in for a possible slide release. I just tried it, upon reading this, in my Shield and it [slide] released. Some of my M&P's do it, others don't. My Glocks, not so much.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

According to the gurus at my LGS, this is the nature of the poly framed beast. Use them enough and the slide releases when the mag's inserted, usually forcefully. If it's any consolation, I'm told Glocks do the same thing. FWIW, I've got a FS, Compact 9, and a Shield. None have done this,,,yet.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

I first heard of this with the Beretta 92. With the 92 it is the angle that the gun is held and the force of the reload. I tried it with my p89 and it will do it at a certain angle as well. Try pointing the front of your compact farther up and slam a mag in. I am interested to see if it will do it....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ok, just 'accomplished' this with my G19 gen 3, my fullsize M&P 9mm and my M&P 9c 9mm as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Never had anything like that with any of my 1911s.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My old Mauser HSc closes on a loaded mags. It was made in Sept 1941. So firearms that do that have been arouund foe a long time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member
    Have had it happen with a few pistols, always while slamming a mag with a pretty good slam. It throws me off (reaching for the slide when it's already forward) so I've backed off my mag seating a hair and don't have it happen much anymore. This was on -G23,G19, CZ P-01, and M&P compact.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Not something you can count on, so it isn't something I would train myself to expect.
    miller_man likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links