sig p290 vs Ruger LC9 vs Kahr pm9

This is a discussion on sig p290 vs Ruger LC9 vs Kahr pm9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a spring/summer carry gun to use with lighter clothes. Fall/winter I carry a sig 229 or 224. Seeing how I am ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chorizo
  • 2 Post By ExGM

Thread: sig p290 vs Ruger LC9 vs Kahr pm9

I am looking for a spring/summer carry gun to use with lighter clothes. Fall/winter I carry a sig 229 or 224. Seeing how I am partial to sig I was looking at the p290rs. The lc9 and pm9 are similar in size so I was looking to hear from folks who have experience with any of these models. Thanks.

Shoot the heck out of them I say... I wont buy the LC9 due to all the lawyer crap it has ( LCI that is silly , intenral locks and so on ) the khars are ok .. But if you read my threads on my struggle with them they can be a bear to take down and for me the PM9 kicked like a mule in the wrong way ( worst recoile I ever had in a handgun sold it in two days )..

I dont know about the sigs sorry ..

With pocket guns I say shoot them and if you can clean them alot ... Or at least read the manual of arms for them .. They often can be tricky

If you like sig maybe 938 ?
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Try a Kahr P9. Carry one everyday for the last 7 years. Light and thin easy to conceal. The gun does kick, but for concealed carry it is fine. Accurate and dependable.

Haven't tried a PM9, but my wife's CM9 is a great little pistol. Accurate, reliable and very tiny. The trigger pull is long, but very smooth and not too heavy. Easy to shoot when you get used to it.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

I have and love the P290rs. it's very accurate and easy to conceal, felt recoil isn't all that bad. Kahr is a good choice, however kind of on the expensive side for what they are.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    kahrs in general are my carry pistols. Mine have been 100% perfect for many thousands of rounds but means little . All of them make an occasional turd and they get fixed so find the one you like best and buy it. The cm9 make a good pocket pistol. The p290 is the right size but weight starts to be to much for pocket and the lc9 is really to big for the pocket. If your looking at a small iwb change the pm9 to a P9 or cw9 and say'n that only you can decide what you want.

They all work very well for many of use and there always people that don't like them.

VIP Member
    I recommend the P290RS. Of the three it is the most reliable and the weight issue is over exaggerated by many, mostly who have not carried one and have simply read about the Sig being "heavy".

While individuals have varying opinions based upon anecdotal evidence of their own guns, in general, you will find the later model Sigs have better triggers, are more reliable, have a restrike capability and are reasonably priced.

Holster is a home made hybrid for tucked carry and I also have a Mini-tuck is carry it in.

BigSky: Here is a photo of my wife ziplining in Big Sky MT:

matdicdad and ExGM like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I think the weight is a bonus considering its size. It makes the gun much more enjoyable to shoot as it helps dampen felt recoil.

Like the picture! I am not too worried about weight, thanks for the info.

North Carolina (The Eagle is from Alaska)
    During my last several years as an LEO, I was well served by Glock 23's and 27's, (...and, before that, SIG's and S&W Revolvers). I trusted these weapons not only because I fired more than a thousand handgun rounds annually in recorded quarterly quals and training (not to mention powder burned on my own time and expense), but saw them fire many times more rounds reliably in the hands of colleagues. However, in retirement I sought out a compact weapon to supplement the Glock 27, and the S&W snubbies.

I endured much frustration with the Kahr PM9, Beretta NANO and the SIG P290 (but ultimately, NOT with the P290RS), over the course of many, many months, each was returned to its respective maker (some twice) yet continued to malfunction.

Worst of all were the Kahrs. I started out with a P380; when it continued to malfunction even after the usual break-in procedure, Kahr replaced it with an almost equally unreliable P380. The local LE distributor took it in trade for a PM9, but the PM9 shared all the undesirable traits of its little brothers (Fool me once...). I was done with Kahrs. (A Seecamp LWS 380 and a Glock 42 now serve my very limited .380 needs)

Next up was a SIG P290. Although it did feed and eject reliably, the action had a tendency toward light strikes, and the magazine liked to pop out under recoil. When two trips to SIG failed to correct these unacceptable shortcomings, I obtained a Beretta NANO.

The NANO was slightly less compact than the Kahr or the SIG, but it often failed to extract, causing feedway stoppages with 115, 124 AND 147 gr. ammo. It was somewhat ironic that clearing these frequent malfunctions would have been easier with an external slide lock lever, but Beretta rather arrogantly omitted this feature (...and, yes, it was returned to its maker...twice!).

I had pretty much given up on these compact 9's, but on the advice of a trusted former colleague, I gave the P290 another chance, because unlike the others mentioned, SIG had made SIG-nificant (pun intended ) modifications to the P290 (now the P290RS). The magazines stayed put, the trigger not only had restrike capability, but was also reliable, lighter and smoother than its predecessor P290's. Now, after some 500 rounds it has yet to malfunction. Maybe mine's a fluke in its reliability, but as far as I'm concerned, it's a keeper---AND I'm keepin' my snubbies as well!
    Last edited by ExGM; April 12th, 2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Chorizo and BigJ.56 like this.

(Despite a century of mediocre performance ) "With modern ammunition, 9mm is (finally) just as effective as larger calibers" (Yeah, Right!)
    (...and Let me save those same cliché-spewers among us the effort: No, I don't want to be shot with ANY caliber!)

Links