Kahr isues AGAIN

Kahr isues AGAIN

This is a discussion on Kahr isues AGAIN within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I dont think I am meant to own a Kahr I been carrying it around the house all day unloaded to get the feel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kahr isues AGAIN

Kahr isues AGAIN

Well I dont think I am meant to own a Kahr

I been carrying it around the house all day unloaded to get the feel for it ( which is nice ).. Then I am going out and go to cock it and the rounds wont feed .. Turns out the mag is bad ( I hope it is the mag) I keep 3 +1 in it it works past that it wont feed or the like ... Of course I had order a spare mag but I got the extented one thinking that the flush worked ( I was only loading a few rounds at the time at the range of course ) ..

So off to get another mag and see what happens .... Wish the mags were not like 36-40 bucks a pop too
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

How many break in rounds so far? Probably not you, but this firearm does not run like a Glock or my 1911. Release the cocked slide with the slide release at your right thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post

I been carrying it around the house all day unloaded to get the feel for it ( which is nice ).. Then I am going out and go to cock it and the rounds wont feed .. Turns out the mag is bad ( I hope it is the mag) I keep 3 +1 in it it works past that it wont feed or the like ... Of course I had order a spare mag but I got the extented one thinking that the flush worked ( I was only loading a few rounds at the time at the range of course ) ..

So off to get another mag and see what happens .... Wish the mags were not like 36-40 bucks a pop too
    Rounds won't feed ... how, exactly?

The typical nose-down ramp jamb that Kahrs are known for? Or, the typical nose-up jamb at the mouth of the chamber that Kahrs are known for?

BTDT, with both errors, across six different Kahrs. Many folks never have such issues with them. From my own experience, I don't have any bright suggestions, other than to cruise the Kahr discussion forum to seek ideas from other people's experiences. You might consider calling Kahr, as well, if it persists. They might be willing to look at it, to correct the issue(s).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lucky I just got the new mag I order the extented one and it seems to feed ok .. I think the old one was bad ( weak springs maybe ) I guess I will need to order another flush one and do some testing to see if this fires ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Lucky I just got the new mag I order the extented one and it seems to feed ok .. I think the old one was bad ( weak springs maybe )
    So, what is the age of this gun, anyway? How many rounds through it?

From the Kahr forum...Take your magazines apart and recheck to see that they are properly put together right. If the spring is in backward, the angle of the spring will mess up the magazine follower and u will have issues. Then, if you have some 600+ grit auto sand paper, just roll it up like a pencil and polish the under side of the feed lips on your magazines. Do not oil the magazines, wipe with a silicone cloth at most. A little tip to take you magazine apart. Insert a nail in the last hole and then you can slide the floor plate off easier, To install the floor plate, push the magazine spring in as far as u can with your finger and then insert that nail through the last hole. It will then hold the spring in place and you can slide on the magazine floor place easily.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cjkent View Post
    From the Kahr forum...Take your magazines apart and recheck to see that they are properly put together right. If the spring is in backward, the angle of the spring will mess up the magazine follower and u will have issues. Then, if you have some 600+ grit auto sand paper, just roll it up like a pencil and polish the under side of the feed lips on your magazines. Do not oil the magazines, wipe with a silicone cloth at most. A little tip to take you magazine apart. Insert a nail in the last hole and then you can slide the floor plate off easier, To install the floor plate, push the magazine spring in as far as u can with your finger and then insert that nail through the last hole. It will then hold the spring in place and you can slide on the magazine floor place easily.
    What I don't understand is why Kahr, who clearly has potential to dominate the pocket 9mm market, doesn't address these issues before sending their guns out. It's not like they all are broke, but a significant amount seem to have these sort of issues.

I don't know if it's just laziness on their part, but this seems insane when the majority of these firearms are going to be carried and used in life or death situations.

I suspect the first manufacturer to come out with a PM9 sized 9mm that is ultra-reliable across the board will not be able to make them fast enough. If I didn't constantly see these reports about the Kahr reliability issues there is no doubt I would purchase one for concealed carry in a heartbeat. I really do want a small, powerful gun for close up self defense situations, but it seems like going any smaller than a shield/pps size ends up in a host of reliability issues. I am sure I am not the only one who fears nothing more than pulling the trigger and hearing a click in a self defense scenario.

Anyways, I hope you get your firearm in working order OP, especially if you are carrying it. No doubt that is one fine firearm when running properly.
    BigJ.56, WrongRecroom and ccw9mm like this.

So far my CM9 runs great. I will say that I cleaned it and lubed it, loaded the mag and let it sit for a few days, and racked the holy smoke out of the slide. Then cleaned it again before I ran it.
    ETXhiker likes this.

That sounds like your mag release button is interfering with the follower and rounds as the try to move up past it. It might be extending too far into the slot in the side of the mag.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    That sounds like your mag release button is interfering with the follower and rounds as the try to move up past it. It might be extending too far into the slot in the side of the mag.
    Is there a fix for this?

Doesn't Kahr know this? And, if so, why in the name of all that's rational don't they fix the issue on these guns, ideally before the darned things exit their gunsmiths' hands at the factory?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I don't understand whether you have a problem or not. Does this happen when you are shooting? If it occurs when you are playing or fondling your pistol, then the problem may be human related, not mechanical.

Administrator
    /\ this. Are you "slingshoting" the slide or using the slide stop as required per the instructions?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ah Kahr, the expensive version of Taurus.

I have nothing to offer you other than with my Kahr experience, the magazine design is flawed.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I own 3 Kahrs. A K-9,a CCW-9, and a CM-9. All three have run perfectly right out of the box. I strongly suspect that Glock owners are so insanely jealous that they are the source of a lot of these "Kahrs are crap stories".

If your Kahr isn't running like you expected it would go to Kahr talk.com and those guys will figure it out for you.
    Happypuppy likes this.

I know it shouldn't be this way but there can be a problem with the follower rubbing against the mag release that can cause feeding issues. Best way to check is disassemble mag, lock slide back on the gun, insert just the mag housing w/o spring into gun. Then insert follower into mag and with pistol held upside down see if follower falls all the way through the mag housing or catches on the mag release. If the follower is catching, a little light sanding on the right side of follower until it drops freely through the mag housing should help. I know a $30-40 mag should not require this but out of my 8 Kahr mags, about half were catching. No problems after the sanding. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links