A Nano, good or bad?

A Nano, good or bad?

This is a discussion on A Nano, good or bad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an opportunity to buy a Nano that has had two owners in the last three weeks. One man bought it new and shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A Nano, good or bad?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

A Nano, good or bad?

I have an opportunity to buy a Nano that has had two owners in the last three weeks. One man bought it new and shot three rounds through it. He promptly sold it to his father who also only shot a few rounds through it. Now he called me wanting to sell the twice owned new Nano and is asking $350 for it and all the extras like case, gun lock, paperwork and the remains of a box of ammo bought with the gun.

The fact that two people briefly fired it before selling it causes me concern. I am not wanting to buy it for carry or to use as a shooter. My only reason for considering it is the price and condition. If it is not a gun that will enhance my collection, I do not want it. If it is a popular gun among owners, then I am very interested, especially if there are no issues with them.

I do not know squat about a Nano. Only saw this one for a few minutes. The question is if it is worth the money and would I feel comfortable letting someone else shoot it when they accompany me to the range.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

380 or so is the price new so not like it is a fire sale price or a crap it dont work price ..

They are nice guns on my list to buy a bit bulky and high barrel but the review are good and the nice part is they can be fired either hand ( the mag relese etc all can be switched ) ... The price is good I would get it and see ...
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

It was this or a PPS at one point and I got the PPS but only as I got talked into it ... The BN9 is +rated and you can swap the frame out to dif colors ala the p3at etc .. I have big hands and it did not feel too small to me Gun Review: Beretta Nano | The Truth About Guns

it does sound like the first ones had some issues that have been worked out .. Remember Bretta has been around since the 14th centrury so one assume they have a vauge idea what they are doing ///
    oldman45 and Eric357 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    I unloaded mine because it wouldnt eat 115 grain ammo. May be reason for the sales.

OO7
    Not a fan personally. Doesn't feel good in my hand, no slide lock, and it's just ugly IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    380 or so is the price new so not like it is a fire sale price or a crap it dont work price ..

They are nice guns on my list to buy a bit bulky and high barrel but the review are good and the nice part is they can be fired either hand ( the mag relese etc all can be switched ) ... The price is good I would get it and see ...
    The original paperwork showed it sold for $425 plus tax. I would only be saving $75 plus the original sale tax amount. Not a large savings butsome.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    I unloaded mine because it wouldnt eat 115 grain ammo. May be reason for the sales.
    Agreed. My concern is there has to be some issue with it. I already am stuck with a gun I bought my grown daughter that has an issue with stiff recoil and those shooting it other than myself will not shoot it again.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Not a fan personally. Doesn't feel good in my hand, no slide lock, and it's just ugly IMO.
    Ugly is an understatment. In fact, ugly is too nice of a word for one.

I don't think the Nana is a bad gun but I don't like the high bore axis. I went the the shield and couldn't be happier. There were teething issues at first but they should be ironed out by now. If you have a use for it and can swing the cash I would do it but if you just want it for trade fodder I would pass. They are not that expensive and are easily found. If it were me I would try to get it at $325... Used is used... No matter how little it was actually used

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have one and had 2 FTF in the first mag. No issues since then even with 115 cheap stuff. I carry it often it conceals well. you can drop in your pocket. If you don't need a something in that role I would pass, if you need a small 9mm give it a try.

If you aren't going to shoot it or carry it, they why waste your money on it? I personally do not think that $350 for a used Nano is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    If you aren't going to shoot it or carry it, they why waste your money on it? I personally do not think that $350 for a used Nano is a good deal.
    You are correct and 100% so. However, when buying 10-12 guns each year and saving say $75 on each, then I have saved the cost of a couple more used guns.

I buy guns. Few are ever shot and when they are, it is someone else doing the shooting I have guns bought new back in the 70's that have not been shot. Someone will show me a gun for sale and if it is in like new condition and the price is right as well as not being a piece of junk like the Diamondback guns are, then I am interested. Some here own Nanos and I value their opinion. It is not so much the price or the savings as it is I do not own one now and if things work out well, it is just another investment that might, or might not, increase in value over the years.

If worse comes to worse, I will give it to my daughter at some point in time so she might return my S&W 5906 back in exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    You are correct and 100% so. However, when buying 10-12 guns each year and saving say $75 on each, then I have saved the cost of a couple more used guns.

I buy guns. Few are ever shot and when they are, it is someone else doing the shooting I have guns bought new back in the 70's that have not been shot. Someone will show me a gun for sale and if it is in like new condition and the price is right as well as not being a piece of junk like the Diamondback guns are, then I am interested. Some here own Nanos and I value their opinion. It is not so much the price or the savings as it is I do not own one now and if things work out well, it is just another investment that might, or might not, increase in value over the years.

If worse comes to worse, I will give it to my daughter at some point in time so she might return my S&W 5906 back in exchange.
    I respect your viewpoint on this. With that said, I think it will come down to whether or not you think $350 is a good deal for a used Nano. I would look around online and see what you could get one for in your area and go from there.

When I was looking for a single stack 9mm I shot two different Nanos. Both had FTE issues. That sold me on not getting a Nano. I wouldn't trust my life on one.

I've had a Nano since the beginning of the year - out of the box it had the same FTE problems that everybody else has been reporting since they came out (it's a 097xxx serial # so it's not like it was an early run, Beretta had a few years to correct the problem, did not, and still will not acknowledge there is a problem) - it didn't just choke on 115gr, but 124 and everything except 147gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, even after the factory-specified 500 round break-in period. I sent it back to Accokeek (at Beretta's expense), they replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp and while it'll rarely doublefeed (have fun clearing that with the 6 round mag with no slide lock!) on cheap 115gr range ammo I haven't had anywhere near the same FTE rate since it came back, and I've easily put another couple hundred 115gr and around 500 124gr through it. It still doesn't have any problems with +P defensive ammo (I have since ran several other brands through it), which is why I'm okay with carrying it everyday. It's actually a pretty good gun, shoots well and is easily manageable when rapid-firing and apart from the out-of-box design flaw that Beretta refuses to acknowledge while still marketing the Nano as a defensive handgun, I like it fine. If you can get Beretta to cover repairs (read: fixing it to run the way every Glock I've ever owned runs right out of the box) under warranty, I'd buy it at $350 if I couldn't get it any lower. If it's already been sent back for repairs and still FTEs I wouldn't buy it at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links