Range Report : LCP .380

This is a discussion on Range Report : LCP .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got the chance to get my LCP to the range yesterday. I wasnt sure what to expect out of it, but I have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Range Report : LCP .380

Range Report : LCP .380

Finally got the chance to get my LCP to the range yesterday. I wasnt sure what to expect out of it, but I have to say i was very pleased. It met all of my expectations and suprised me very well.

The first two magazines were fired for familiarization. Recoil was ...different. I have continuously read the recoil is stour.. dare I say brutal. I found it to be quite controllable, albeit snappy. That did not suprise me as any sub 12 oz gun is going to be peppy. quick double taps were more than doable with little issue. At 7 yds, My double taps were all centered on the target with a rough 2-5 inch spread on the average. At 5 yds and in double taps were consistently 3 inches or less. This was all done point shooting, drawing from concealment, fire twice, reholster. It doesnt point as well as I would like but since it is new to me, I am ok with it not being perfect. I did all of my shooting at 7 yds or less since this is a close range gun. When using sights, this little pocket rocket is eerily accurate for having such diminutive sights. at seven yds groups averaged an easy two inches or less. Since I shoot for combat accuracy, this is more than acceptable for me. I was able to get 50 rnds down range before my tennis elbow started acting up and made life difficult. In those 50 rnds I had ZERO malfunctions of any kind.

Some general observations:
    This gun is very accurate by any standard, but for its size it is incredible
    The gun is very very light and easily concealed
    Again, this gun proves that recoil is subjective. I found it to be very controllable. It is not the most pleasant gun to shoot all day, but that is more due to the design of the gun than recoil. It is a very thin, very light gun and it shows when shooting.
    The slide on the LCP is very easy to manipulate. It is lightly sprung and very smooth
    The trigger pull, while long, is very smooth. The reset is just as long, but it is both audible and tactile in nature
    The magazines are itsy bitsy.....

Overall, I am glad to add this gun to myu rotation. It fills a very useful role as a ultra concealable carry piece. it may not be a power house, but I am confident in its ability to put bullets where I need them. I see a long future ahead as both a BUG and as a discreet main carry piece as necessary for this little gem
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear your outing went well with the LCP!

Yup love my LCP...it's been my EDC for 5 or 6 years now. Never fails to go bang, accurate, light and small enough to actually pocket carry. I wouldn't mind trying one of the second gens to see if the trigger and sights are really an improvement, plus I'd like to have a spare in the safe.

Oh and you're right, I lost two of my magazines for a while before I realized it. By that time I could only find one of them, the third is still MIA, I actually looked for it again a few days ago and it was lost last October. (Fell out of my gadget bag somehow.)
    Joe was right.

My LCR has supplanted the LCP as EDC, but the LCP still does occasional carry duty. Very good when deep concealment is required. What ammo were you using for your range test, and what do you plan to carry in it?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    My LCR has supplanted the LCP as EDC, but the LCP still does occasional carry duty. Very good when deep concealment is required. What ammo were you using for your range test, and what do you plan to carry in it?
    I was shooting Remington UMC 95grain fmj and will carry the same. I want as much, penetration as possible from my lcp. I just have not been impressed with the inconsistency of 380 jhp performance

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Taurahe,
    I pretty much came to the same conclusion about the LCP as you did. The only reason I sold mine was because I really didn't like the 380 cal, that was a mistake, I should never have sold it, I miss the little guy.

Love my LCP also. Even better with the Lasermax on it.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

My son's girlfriend won that model of Ruger in a Raffle. She bought up a truckload of .380 ammo.
    Figured, "why not" the cost of the pistol, was nearly $10.
    & ...Our, agent/ band manager......carries one . Guess I can shoot one anytime they would meet me at my Sportman's Club.
    NRA member..... S&W mod. 58; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); 8 in Colt Python (nickle) ;/ SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    ..41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

Very accurate for its size, I was picking off the fingertips of a smaller-than-person sized target at 20' or so.

I just installed some heavier recoil springs from Wolff in mine. It seems to make the muzzle move less during recoil.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

I recently picked one up as well and have similar impressions. I like the simplicity of it, it is easy "enough" to effectively shoot, fits in a pocket, and cost less than $300 OTD. It will not be my primary carry gun, but certainly fills the ultra deep concealment role which is sometimes required. What's not to like?

love mine. has had zero malfunctions in about 400 rds. i can shoot 50rds in about 20 min on every range trip with only minor discomfort. trust it with my life. check out the speer gdhp gel test. thats what i carry.

I would have bought this but the sights were non existent
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    I had the same thought on it but so many gave it such a great reviews that I figured what the heck. I couldnt have made a better choice. Yes, the sights are diminutive at best but since this is a close range gun, they are not really need for up close work. I honestly didnt even align them, I simply stuck the frint nub on target and pulled the trigger. Every shot landed on target as an acceptable shot in a social situation solution.
    OD* likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

I have spent some time researching this weapon recently. Just may make it to my short list just under the SR1911 ☺️

http://www.studentofthegun.com
    Kennydale likes this.
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad0724 View Post
    The sights were improved on the latest Gen2 version, as was the trigger.
    Kennydale likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links