Another looking for advice on new defensive carry gun

This is a discussion on Another looking for advice on new defensive carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently stuck choosing a compact pistol for summer carry. I carry IWB and when I can dress around them, I carry either the Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Another looking for advice on new defensive carry gun

Another looking for advice on new defensive carry gun

I'm currently stuck choosing a compact pistol for summer carry. I carry IWB and when I can dress around them, I carry either the Glock 19 or Sig 2022. For those times that IWB just won't work, I pocket carry a Sig 238. For summer carry I was looking for something in between the two, and have narrowed my choices down to the Glock 26 and Sig 239.

On the "pro" side, I love the reliability of the Glock. I also give a big plus to it for the interchangeable magazines as I could carry a spare 17 round mag and be covered with either the 19 or 26. The 26 would also have a capacity benefit over the 239.

On the "pro" side for the Sig is the trigger and feel in the hand, which I prefer over the Glock. I have not found the extra weight to be an issue to the point where I would carry the Glock over the Sig.

My head tells me to go with the Glock, mostly because of the ability to use high capacity mags no matter which I'm carrying. My heart tells me to go with the Sig, mainly because of the peace of mind that first long trigger pull gives me (I've owned a handgun less than a year and am not entirely comfortable with the short trigger pull of the Glock with a round in the chamber). I'm confident in both the 19 and 2022 when I carry them, although I shoot the 2022 slightly better at the range.

The wife says I'm overthinking the whole thing. I know the right answer for me comes down to personal preference and a combination of the factors I've listed above. Just throwing this out to see if there is anything I am missing.

TIA
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think you're on the right track with your options. If you don't mind the thickness, then get the Glock 26. I currently carry a Glock 27 and the size is great, aside from the thickness.

Have you considered the Sig P938?

I've got a relative with the 239 SAS, and that is an absolutely amazing little pistol to shoot. The other versions are nice as well, but I just love that SRT.

But if you're looking at carrying something chunkier along the lines of the G26, I'd take a look at the P224 as well. G-26-like in size/cap, also available with the SRT, and you can use P226 and 229 mags as spares. It's going to be heavier, but the P250SC (and maybe soon the P320SC) would be near identical in dimensions and weight to a G26.

Either is an excellent choice. I would definitely try to rent both and try them if possible. I've never fired a P239, but if it shoots the way I imagine it does, I'd personally take it over a 26 any day of the week - it's slimmer, I like DA/SA with a decocker, and I like metal frames. All personal preference, of course, and the Sig is, what, $300 more?

sioux has a point on looking at a P938. Slightly cheaper than a P239 (at least according to the website), and works the same as your P238.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

For your stated purpose and specific 2 guns in the running, my vote goes to the Sig P239. It is a sweet shooter and a discreet toter. Betroth the Sig to the FIST K2 High Ride Fist Holsters for a happy marriage - neither the twain shall part.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Either is an excellent choice. I would definitely try to rent both and try them if possible...
    +1! That's always my advice when making a handgun choice. Find a gun store where you can rent the guns and test fire them. You'll never know how they feel or shoot until you actually test them.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    In another post you said you had just got a Shield. What's wrong with carrying it as your "in between" gun?
    Eric357 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Don't you just hate when you ask for an opinion on two different guns and someone throws a completely different gun in the mix? It is very inconsiderate. That is why I would never say that the H&K P2000sk very similar to the Glock 26 but with a MUCH better grip, LEM trigger would be a great choice. Plus like Glock you can use the larger USP mags as backup. Reliable, accurate, unequaled CS, and if you hold them both you will understand the price difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudCatMax View Post
    I'm currently stuck choosing a compact pistol for summer carry. I carry IWB and when I can dress around them, I carry either the Glock 19 or Sig 2022. For those times that IWB just won't work, I pocket carry a Sig 238. For summer carry I was looking for something in between the two, and have narrowed my choices down to the Glock 26 and Sig 239.

On the "pro" side, I love the reliability of the Glock. I also give a big plus to it for the interchangeable magazines as I could carry a spare 17 round mag and be covered with either the 19 or 26. The 26 would also have a capacity benefit over the 239.

On the "pro" side for the Sig is the trigger and feel in the hand, which I prefer over the Glock. I have not found the extra weight to be an issue to the point where I would carry the Glock over the Sig.

My head tells me to go with the Glock, mostly because of the ability to use high capacity mags no matter which I'm carrying. My heart tells me to go with the Sig, mainly because of the peace of mind that first long trigger pull gives me (I've owned a handgun less than a year and am not entirely comfortable with the short trigger pull of the Glock with a round in the chamber). I'm confident in both the 19 and 2022 when I carry them, although I shoot the 2022 slightly better at the range.

The wife says I'm overthinking the whole thing. I know the right answer for me comes down to personal preference and a combination of the factors I've listed above. Just throwing this out to see if there is anything I am missing.

TIA
    Your wife is right. You are over thinking this.

I have plenty o' guns, each acquired because of a perceived advantage over the others in my collection - larger capacity, better trigger, etc.

But what do I carry? Most of the time my low capacity, long-trigger pull S&W 637.

For now purchase away if you can afford it - eventually you will settle on what suits you, and your wandering eye will settle down.
    Eric357 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. While I've got some experience with the 26, but zero with the 239. The LGS that has one does not have a "shoot before you buy" policy unfortunately. I wish I could purchase both, but not in the budget at this time.

Archer - great question! The answer is I no longer have the Shield. It's a great little handgun but I have larger hands and could never get used to that thin grip. I've also tried the XDS and came away with a similar feeling.

Thanks again.

... My heart tells me to go with the Sig, mainly because of the peace of mind that first long trigger pull gives me (I've owned a handgun less than a year and am not entirely comfortable with the short trigger pull of the Glock with a round in the chamber). ...
    TIA
    Not to add to any neurosis, but I like being able to rest my thumb behind the hammer of my P239 when holstering. Not that it's ever happened, but it reassures me that nothing is snagging the trigger while holstering.

On the "pro" side for the Sig is the trigger and feel in the hand, which I prefer over the Glock. ... My heart tells me to go with the Sig, mainly because of the peace of mind that first long trigger pull gives me.
    Go with your heart. You prefer the feel of the SIG. If it feels right in your hand then that is the right gun. Then comes the trigger... Again, you prefer the SIG.

Call around all the shooting rental ranges and see if they have SIGs for rent. Chances are you're going to have to do a blind buy, just as you would from a Gun Show or buying from a Gun Store. If you don't like it afterwards, and you will probably know within the first box expended, then trade it on something else.

If you're really worried about the number of cartridges it can carry then get the .40S&W or the .357SIG. See if you can fire a .357SIG at a rental range.

The P239 will fit a variety of shooters comfortably, especially the grip angle, which tends to absorb the recoil of this cartridge. The inherent design advantages of the 357 SIG cartridge are perfect for this handgun. I was shooting a superior cartridge that felt like a light 9 mm.
    Product Review: SIG SAUER P239 in .357 SIG

You won't be able to go to the range and fire off 300 rounds nonchalantly like you would a 9mm shooting 115gr. FMJs... If practice ammo firing is what you prefer then you' should probably go with the 9mm or the .40S&W. But you already have one or two 9s...

Get it in SAS. :D

How's that for a monkey wrench?

I have a GLOCK 26 so you know where I come down here !! Good Luck with your choice.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    I EDC a P239 in .357sig. My only gripe is sometimes the weight bugs me. It carries well in a good holster. Its ergonomics are great. I like the cartridge. If you already have a Sig you like, why not stick with the manual of arms you are comfortable with.

I'd go with the Glock 26 because well...because I went with the 26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links