Considering a small 9mm

Considering a small 9mm

This is a discussion on Considering a small 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering purchasing a small 9mm..... I own a Taurus TCP 380 I only own two 9mm handguns a S&W SDVE & a Ruger P95 Looking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Considering a small 9mm

Considering a small 9mm

Considering purchasing a small 9mm.....

I own a Taurus TCP 380

I only own two 9mm handguns a S&W SDVE & a Ruger P95

Looking at maybe a Taurus PT709 / I'm also awaiting the reports of The new Walther CCP
    Bersa BP9CC
    Kahr CW9
    SCCY

Listed in the order that I'm interested ..

Any suggestions or comments

I'm looking at one of the little ones, too. If you haven't already considered it, take a look at the S&W Shield as well.

I have only seen the CCP on the website but honestly don't see any advantage of it over the PPS. The PPS is slightly skinnier and smaller. I don't know why they came out with the CCP. Also take a look at the XDS. I wouldn't own a Taurus or Bersa. I have shot the 709 and hated the trigger. And I have heard too many reliability issues with Bersa.

I would probably go with the Kahr. It isn't on your list, but I would recommend a S&W shield.
    OO7, WannabeaCPA and Kilowatt3 like this.

What do you mean by small? Pocket sized? Or just thinner than what you have already? Or is the issue weight?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have owned the BP9CC for several months now and have been singing its praises since I got it. I really love this pistol. Feels great in my hand, points naturally, extremely accurate, well made, light, thin and minimal recoil. I have roughly 600 rounds through it with zero failures of any type. It has a couple of neat features like the larger front dot sight and smaller rear sights to help your eye pick up that front sight quicker. Also, each side of the frame has an index location for your trigger finger when it's resting along the slide.

A couple things about it that scares some folks away are the magazine disconnect safety and the internal locking mechanism. But I personally have no issues with either.

I feel like this gun should cost more than it does. It's a great value. When I was trying to decide on a carry gun it ultimately came down to this and the SCCY, which has a lot of positive reviews also. It really just came down to feel for me and the Bersa felt better than the SCCY.

As far as the other pistols on your list, I just hear way too many negative reviews to seriously consider either a Taurus or Kahr. In regards to the CCP, I don't like that it has a manual safety and I believe is larger than other guns in the single stack pistol category. It's the same slide width as a Glock 26 but you get two less rounds. Not impressed.

So, for me, it again comes down to the Bersa or SCCY of the ones on your list. Good luck!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    And I have heard too many reliability issues with Bersa.
    That's the first I've heard of any reliability issues!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

sr9c
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I own the Bersa BP9CC, excellent pistol. I'm stocking up ammo for a really good range session, only fired about a box of 50 through it so far and a couple magazines each of 135 grain hydroshock and 124 grain gold dot. To date, it's loaded and fired every round with no problems. I haven't done any real accuracy testing, it's been drive down into the bottoms, shoot into various tree limbs, pop bottles, etc. But, I've had no trouble hitting a branch the size of my wrist at about 12-15 yards.

There is ONE known issue with the Bersa, they come with an anti corrosion gunk in them, "mine had very very little" But often there's quite a bit of it, including in the striker channel, it's not a lube, it has to be cleaned out or it will collect dirt and brass shavings and eventually "Usually about 500 rounds in" cause light strike misfires.

It's not a huge deal, just give the pistol a really deep cleaning and there's no issues. Make sure all the shipping gunk is out of the striker channel and you're good to go. It's a one time deal. But something to be aware of.

That said, I love mine, I'm using an alien gear holster for it. excellent I would not advise carrying this pistol without a good holster that blocks the trigger, as the trigger is short, sweet, and about 3 pounds with a very short reset. it's almost like carrying my 1911 cocked and unlocked.

Just keep the booger hooker off the bang switch and it's fine. Took a couple days to get used to.

Whatever you pick, I hope you enjoy it.
    Mike.
    DJC7 and zonker1986 like this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Considering purchasing a small 9mm.....

I own a Taurus TCP 380

I only own two 9mm handguns a S&W SDVE & a Ruger P95

Looking at maybe a Taurus PT709 / I'm also awaiting the reports of The new Walther CCP
    Bersa BP9CC
    Kahr CW9
    SCCY

Listed in the order that I'm interested ..

Any suggestions or comments
    How do you like your TCP? I am seriously considering buying one for my pocket pistol niche since its on sale for $220 this week. What makes you want to get a pocket 9mm? What are you lacking with the tcp that makes you want another pistol?

I have the SCCY and Shield, the Shield is much better in my estimation. I have shot the PPS and it was comparable to the Shield, no real noticeable difference.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

For my money, the Shield isn't that small. It's kind of thin but I don't particularly like it. I have a CW9 that I really like and it has been a very good carry gun for me. I have also handled the Bersa and I very much like it. It has an amazingly short trigger reset. Seriously, amazingly short. If the Bersa had been out when I was looking for my single stack 9 I might well have gone with it instead of the CW9.

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the XDs 9mm as well. I have shot one and handled several and I really, really like it. Most likely it will be my next handgun purchase.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Bresa is the most undervalued gun on the market. If you want small, skip the CCP and get a PPS now. I have carried one for years. The 3 magazine sizes allow you to customize the gun to your needs. Any gun on your list (after the Taurus) is fine if you like it.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
    How do you like your TCP? I am seriously considering buying one for my pocket pistol niche since its on sale for $220 this week. What makes you want to get a pocket 9mm? What are you lacking with the tcp that makes you want another pistol?

I did alot of research on the TCP..I owned a few other small 380's before the TCP....and was not impressed....but the TCP has lived up yo its billing..no issues...runs great..

And why am I looking for another pistol ?...thats a good question ..I have 29 in my safe as I type this....

And in reality...I really don't see a whole lot of a advantage with the small 9 compared to the small 380....the 380 functions with alot less pressure and with all the new ammo options ....the gap between the two gets smaller ..and smaller ..at least for my attended purpose..

I'm a huge Fan of the small 380s . I have the BG and I have had the gen 1 and now the gen 2 LCP. I have a kahr cw 9 that is my EDC and is my favorite over the shield and xds that I sold off. I was planning on adding the kahr 380 until I tried the TCP it's sold and inexpensive so that will be added first. It is a solid pocket piece.

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links