Range Report: Millenium Pro 9mm

This is a discussion on Range Report: Millenium Pro 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well finally I got to shoot my new 9mm. Well ok its my only 9mm. The weather here on the central oregon coast isnt the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: Millenium Pro 9mm

Range Report: Millenium Pro 9mm

Well finally I got to shoot my new 9mm. Well ok its my only 9mm. The weather here on the central oregon coast isnt the best. It rained pretty much all day. So i diddnt get any pictures of the groupings but I will next time.

The Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm was a christmas presant from my wife. Since I have gotten it I have taken it apart and cleaned it and familliorized myself with its parts and features. My first impression of it was only O.K. at best. I liked its size and weight but the trigger feature really botherd me. Its DAO\SA but pretty much DAO all the time. The trigger pull length is really long and the fireing pin is let go when the trigger is COMPLETLY back against the frame of the gun. So there is a huge pull on it but they consider that part of the safety I think. Once there was a live round in the chamber and i took by first shot things changed. The reset on the trigger is really close to the back of the frame so i can make fast shots. No need to let the trigger go back to resting position before taking another shot. This was nice. The recoil on it was VERY manageable. My large hands held it nice and tight. I was able to touble tap and shoot pretty close to spot on. This was with white box fmj ammo.

After putting 100 rounds of ball ammo though it I switched to my carry choices.

The Federal Hydrashok ammo fed perfectly and shot straight. Just as expected. The grouping was probubly about 2.5" And I know without pictures this measurment is not "sound" I shot the 147gr standard pressure.

The speer gold dots also did very well. They had a little more felt recoil due the the fact they were the 124gr +P short barrel loads. They fed perfect and ejected perfect. The grouping on these were smaller than with federal.

Horady Tap Ammo did the best In my opinion. The standard pressure 124gr felt to me the same as the +p speer and they had the smallest grouping out of the three. Fed perfect as well and Had no ejection problems. They seemed to load into the mag a little easier but that could just be my imagination.

All in all it was a great day at the range. When i went to take off my target from the backstop the wet paper just "melted" away. When the weather gets nicer ill try and post grouping pictures but for now i did my best to take an "artzy fartzy" photo of the gun.

I would recomend this gun to anyone looking for a very well balanced carry gun! No failure to feed, fire, eject.

For now! Stay safe out there!
    Gregg
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad it worked for you, good report.

Nice review Gregg, glad you like it. I think my girlfriend has chosen the PT-111 for a carry piece so this is good to know. I have actually as of late haven't heard any bad things on this gun in any of the calibers offered.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    Good report. I'm not much of a Taurus fan, but I've always like the pt-111; except for one thing. The trigger always felt gritty. Did they fix this on the newer ones, or do they still come with the factory installed sand?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Good report. I'm not much of a Taurus fan, but I've always like the pt-111; except for one thing. The trigger always felt gritty. Did they fix this on the newer ones, or do they still come with the factory installed sand?
    The sand your feeling is the rough plastic under the trigger rail. Mine felt the same way. So no they have not fixed it. But to take care of that myself I used an oiler cap with a long thin metal tube attached to oil under that rail between the plastic and the metal. It really helped and the trigger pull is smooth as silk now! Im sure every time i fire it ill need to clean and reoil under there but its a small price to pay in my opinion.

The sainless slide really looks nice when its all clean. I wish the slide had more of a shine to it. the finish is almost satin. But the two tone of it does really look nice when all cleaned up.

Thanks guys for the kind comments!
    I carry because I care.
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Administrator
    good, I'm glad you figured out a way to cure that problem. I have a friend who carries one daily, he fixed his too. I don't know how he did it but it is much better now. I was going to offer his solution once I asked him how he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post

The sainless slide really looks nice when its all clean. I wish the slide had more of a shine to it. the finish is almost satin. But the two tone of it does really look nice when all cleaned up.

Gel, you want the "satin" finish on the slide as if it were shiny it would tend to glare when in the sun and that could cause problems in a day time defense situation if your slide blinds you. Keep it simple, it look's good the way it is.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

good range report. glad you like your new gun. have fun with it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I knew you were going to like this gun Gel. I told you you would.

Glad you are happy with the Christmas present. It's always good when you have a woman you love who gives you a gun as a present. Mine has done that a few times and it is always the best present she can give me.

That is a nice looking PT-111 you have there too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Glad you like it. Never got to try the DA/SA version.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

To be honest im not sure about this SA mode. I mean when you rack the slide to chamber a round you have to pull the trigger just as far as you normally would in order to shoot. If you clear the chamber and pull the mag out you can dry fire it over and over by just pulling the trigger. Where does the SA come in? I may be miss interpreting the SA meaning. When I think SA I think old west revolvers that you have to manually cock everytime you want to fire.

I know there is a thread on this but PT-111 mabie you can explain it to me a little better about our gun?

Also This is my new daily carry. The XD is a great gun but its a little heavy for daily carry i think. I really like the smaller frame for 365 carry. An XD SC would be nice to try out sometime, but for now I think my little 9mm will serve me well if the time ever came.

Ti- Well I was not thinking of chrome or anything like that, but a little gloss would have been nice LOL. It is a nice looking gun I have to admit. There is a chome taurus 24\7 at the local pawn shop but I think ill leave the Bling to my jewlery!

OHH and on another note, my local gun shop actually had a box of the real black talons for sale in 9mm. they were 39.99 a box of 20. I almost got some, but they are more for collectors. I can see paying 40 bucks for bullets to sit in the safe. I could carry them i guess but with only one box left i really wouldnt have alot of spare ones to run them through the gun to make sure they will not jam up, you know? Plus the primers and powder are from the 80's not sure if i would want to put my life in the hands of 27 year old bullets. But some people do.
    I carry because I care.

Congrats on your PT111pro. Sounds like a winner.

I carry SXTs in my 40 and work great!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious View Post
    Well finally I got to shoot my new 9mm. Well ok its my only 9mm. The weather here on the central oregon coast isnt the best. It rained pretty much all day. So i diddnt get any next tipictures of the groupings but I willme.

The Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm was a christmas presant from my wife. Since I have gotten it I have taken it apart and cleaned it and familliorized myself with its parts and features. My first impression of it was only O.K. at best. I liked its size and weight but the trigger feature really botherd me. Its DAO\SA but pretty much DAO all the time. The trigger pull length is really long and the fireing pin is let go when the trigger is COMPLETLY back against the frame of the gun. So there is a huge pull on it but they consider that part of the safety I think. Once there was a live round in the chamber and i took by first shot things changed. The reset on the trigger is really close to the back of the frame so i can make fast shots. No need to let the trigger go back to resting position before taking another shot. This was nice. The recoil on it was VERY manageable. My large hands held it nice and tight. I was able to touble tap and shoot pretty close to spot on. This was with white box fmj ammo.

After putting 100 rounds of ball ammo though it I switched to my carry choices.

The Federal Hydrashok ammo fed perfectly and shot straight. Just as expected. The grouping was probubly about 2.5" And I know without pictures this measurment is not "sound" I shot the 147gr standard pressure.

The speer gold dots also did very well. They had a little more felt recoil due the the fact they were the 124gr +P short barrel loads. They fed perfect and ejected perfect. The grouping on these were smaller than with federal.

Horady Tap Ammo did the best In my opinion. The standard pressure 124gr felt to me the same as the +p speer and they had the smallest grouping out of the three. Fed perfect as well and Had no ejection problems. They seemed to load into the mag a little easier but that could just be my imagination.

All in all it was a great day at the range. When i went to take off my target from the backstop the wet paper just "melted" away. When the weather gets nicer ill try and post grouping pictures but for now i did my best to take an "artzy fartzy" photo of the gun.

I would recomend this gun to anyone looking for a very well balanced carry gun! No failure to feed, fire, eject.

For now! Stay safe out there!
    Gregg
    Gregg,

I am considering buying a PT111 Mil/Pro. In fact, I went to my local gun shop today and was quoted $426, which seems high. May I ask what you paid? Thanks.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Gregg,

I am considering buying a PT111 Mil/Pro. In fact, I went to my local gun shop today and was quoted $426, which seems high. May I ask what you paid? Thanks.

Ron
    WOW! Umm well. I paid $225 for mine on gun broker. it had 200-250 rounds through it so it was not brand new but it is in perfect condition not a single sign of wear. Hell its probubly not even broken in at that point. After shipping and FFL transfer fees It was $275 Out the door.
    I carry because I care.

Ron,

I think you are being quoted for the Mil Pro Ti (titanimum) slide model at that price. Even so they are a bit high on it.

PT-111 Blued Slide = $310 - $315 New

PT-111 Stainless Slide = $320 - $330.00 New

PT-111 Ti Slide = $400 - I guess $426.00?

IF being quoted on the Ti model they are about $25.00 to high on them. If any thing other than that, well you can see the difference. For that Kinda money I'd just go with a Glock.

Ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links