Kahr K40 slim comfortable steel. I like it.

This is a discussion on Kahr K40 slim comfortable steel. I like it. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got this Kahr K40. It is an all steel 40 S&W with a 3.5'' barrel that holds 6 + 1 with the regular ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kahr K40 slim comfortable steel. I like it.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Kahr K40 slim comfortable steel. I like it.

I recently got this Kahr K40. It is an all steel 40 S&W with a 3.5'' barrel that holds 6 + 1 with the regular magazine.
    When I picked it up, I immediately liked the feel of the grip; which is just long enough to accommodate my whole hand.
    The manual recommends a 200 round break-in, which is fine as I wouldn't shoot a few magazines through a new pistol and call it good anyway.
    For the 200 round break-in, I shot only hollow point ammo and I cleaned the pistol every 50 rounds.
    Kahr advises to use the slide release, not the "slingshot" method; I ignored this and pulled the slide back and let it go as with my other pistols.
    For the first few magazines (which were the Federal Hi-Shok) the K40 balked at my method, after that it accepted my way of doing things.
    No malfunctions whatsoever for the 200+ rounds I've fired through this pistol and brass is ejected consistently (not at or near my head).
    Recoil is moderate / manageable with 180 gr. ammo, the 165 gr. tested produced more recoil and snap.

Chronograph average for at least 5 shots in ascending order of calculated recoil and KE:
    Federal 180 Hydra-Shok @ 961 fps / 369# KE
    Federal 180 Hi-Shok @ 976 fps / 381# KE
    Speer Gold Dot 180 @ 991 fps / 393# KE
    Winchester White Box 180 JHP @ 1,003 fps / 402# KE
    Federal 180 HST @ 1,007 fps / 405# KE
    Winchester 165 Ranger T @ 1,133 fps / 470# KE
    I was surprised by the velocity produced with the 3.5'' barrel.

The K40 did not have night sights, I got some Meprolight night sights and installed them myself (required fitting) using the P500 sight tool (be careful).
    I parted ways with a Glock 30 to get the K40; I did not like the feel of the Glock 30.
    The Glock 30 had a gap between the frame and magazine base right where the center of my pinky is and it annoyed me regardless of magazine used.
    Here are pics of the K40 and comparison pics with my Glock 36 (has an annoying gap where my pinky is, but it is mitigated with a plumbing ring.)

K40a.jpg K40b.jpg K40c.jpg

I really like the K40.
    bmcgilvray and GentlemanJim like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

Love it dude! Kahrs are great, I want a MK9. Currently edc a cw9 everyday all day.

Administrator
    A K9 has been on my want list for a long time.
    Madcap_Magician likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The K Kahrs are indeed a fine line of pistols. Many good features and few flaws. The first Kahr I ever shot was a K40. That experience led me to purchase a K9. Seven more Kahrs followed. My personal favorite is the TP9. Enjoy your new Kahr.

Nice little chunk o' steel in the hand - and I love the fact that even with a compact gun, your pinky isn't left to wave in the breeze or be force to curl under the grip.

I don't carry mine, as when I want a gun smaller than the 1911s I go to the CW9 - same size, just lighter.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The K9/K40 is really a perfect size. Very slim, heavy enough to absorb the recoil and let you know it's there, but not so heavy that it weighs you down. Long enough for most people to get a full grip on it. Great ergonomics and very attractive guns.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Say, this seems a sensible compact carry choice in a good caliber. If the ergonomics are good then compact can be alright but who says they all must also be flea-weight. All steel? I could become interested in one of these; a model I was unaware of.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I need a K9.
    Madcap_Magician likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A K9 has been on my want list for a long time.
    My wife has a Kahr P9 and doesn't care for any more recoil than that; however, she shot a magazine of 180 JHP through the K40 and liked it.
    If my wife thought the K40 did not kick bad, it really doesn't kick bad.
    The K9 would be really soft shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    The K9/K40 is really a perfect size. Very slim, heavy enough to absorb the recoil and let you know it's there, but not so heavy that it weighs you down. Long enough for most people to get a full grip on it. Great ergonomics and very attractive guns.
    I really like the grip of the K40 and the steel frame dampens recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Say, this seems a sensible compact carry choice in a good caliber. If the ergonomics are good then compact can be alright but who says they all must also be flea-weight. All steel? I could become interested in one of these; a model I was unaware of.
    I was never interested in a pistol like this before, my loss ; after trying other options I appreciate it more.

Congrats on the new Kahr. I've been lusting after a Kahr K9 Elite with night sights for a very long time......and then I realize that I would be paying $500 more the the K9 Elite than I paid for my CW9.....and reality check time is over and I just sigh and move on.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Nice pick up. I shot a K40 years ago as a range rental and really liked it. I current own two of Kahr's polymer C series guns and while I like them just fine, I've had kind of a hankering lately for a smallish, all steal carry gun and the K40 in particular keeps popping into my head. I reckon if I come across one at a decent price I might just snatch it up.

Nice...congrats

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Congrats on the new Kahr. I've been lusting after a Kahr K9 Elite with night sights for a very long time......and then I realize that I would be paying $500 more the the K9 Elite than I paid for my CW9.....and reality check time is over and I just sigh and move on.
    The K and P versions have "upgrades" over the C series, Kahr elite with night sights would add to that:

Kahr CW Series | CW380, CW9, CW40 and CW45

I've owned/carried a variety of Kahr variants including the K40. My favorite is the T9. Prefer the steel-framed models to polymer. IMHO, the P40 is a bit "snappy" when stoked with hot .40 S&W defensive ammo. Nice pick!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A K40 has been my primary off-duty gun for the past three years. I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck or a Don Hume 721 OT. Great ergonomics, slim, and accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links