safety not needed for me

safety not needed for me

This is a discussion on safety not needed for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my permit to carry and after just a couple of days I see why most people carry guns w/o a external thumb ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: safety not needed for me

safety not needed for me

I recently got my permit to carry and after just a couple of days I see why most people carry guns w/o a external thumb safety. I have been carrying a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 in a pocket holster. Now I havent done much practicing unholstering but it likes to get caught up on the sites. Along with that, the holster doesn't always stay in the pocket. So, those two things along with having to thumb off a safety and im losing alot of time from the moment I have to pull a weapon to save my life.

Perhaps I was just a bit nervous about carrying a loaded gun around because I do own a glock 26 but havent wvwn bothered getting a holster because I never thought id carry it. Now I think I may. That or I need more practice with my current setup. I bought some snap caps and had planned on practicing but after these past few days im thinking I may skip it and go with the glock.
    Is the bodyguard okay to carry with the safety off?
    In a pocket holster?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yea, you never know when you'll need that extra second to save your life. It seem like daily that I have to draw my weapon to thwart some bad guys motives.
    gatorbait51 and denclaste like this.

You can carry the Bodyguard with safety off and have the first round be DA?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Yea, you never know when you'll need that extra second to save your life. It seem like daily that I have to draw my weapon to thwart some bad guys motives.
    OP, a similar question posed here: S&W .380 Bodyguard safety
    If your holster is not staying in your pocket, you should get another holster or alter your set up so you will maintain control over the gun.

Dono - what's your point? Don't practice drawing? Don't prepare for an unlikely scenario? The OP's question is a valid one.
    suntzu, StormRhydr, BkCo1 and 6 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Glocks do make good carry guns..... but you still have to practice with it
    gatorbait51 and kahrcarrier like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasejax View Post
    I recently got my permit to carry and after just a couple of days I see why most people carry guns w/o a external thumb safety. I have been carrying a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 in a pocket holster. Now I havent done much practicing unholstering but it likes to get caught up on the sites. Along with that, the holster doesn't always stay in the pocket. So, those two things along with having to thumb off a safety and im losing alot of time from the moment I have to pull a weapon to save my life.

Perhaps I was just a bit nervous about carrying a loaded gun around because I do own a glock 26 but havent wvwn bothered getting a holster because I never thought id carry it. Now I think I may. That or I need more practice with my current setup. I bought some snap caps and had planned on practicing but after these past few days im thinking I may skip it and go with the glock.
    Is the bodyguard okay to carry with the safety off?
    In a pocket holster?
    Training and practice will go a long way toward alleviating those problems you are having. A better holster might be in your near future from your description. That holster should not be coming out with your gun.

Now, with training and practice you may even come to realize that a manual safety really add NO additional time to your draw stroke. Don't buy in to the hype.

The choice between a manual safety and no manual safety is a personal choice. You just have to learn the pro's and con's of each.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

With practice, the thumb safety becomes second nature. I carry a 5" 1911 OWB and pocket carry a Sig P938 as a BUG. Both are carried in condition one with the thumb safety on. You need a different holster that stays in your pocket when you draw. Pocket draw will usually be slower than other carry positions with the possible exception of ankle draw.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Here we go! One More Time!
    finst3r, Eric357, ginzo and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Did I ever mention practice?
    BkCo1, denclaste and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I have a S&W Bodyguard for a EDC in a Recluse pocket holster with the safety off. I Have tried a regular sticky pocket holster and I did not like how it worked for me. The Recluse has worked excellent. I have never had it come out of the hoster and IME it's trigger guard becomes a perfect guide for setting up your trigger finger.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have practiced drawing my Ruger with the safety on and off using the OCAT System as a time keeper and the reality is that there is no difference in time between the two. Once I have cleared the holster and the firearm is starting to be brought up I disengage the safety before the sights reach the target.

The problem it seems that you are having is that you are doing things in serial (one at a time) instead of doing them in parallel (multiple things at once). If you are doing it (right), the safety will have no slowly down of you firing that first shot. But you have to practice a lot to get to the point you can do that.

It's funny, when I first bought my carry gun, an M&P 40c, I thought it would be a good idea to have a safety on it. Now after carrying for a while, I absolutely hate the god awful safety on this thing. I will never buy a carry gun with a safety again. I love the gun though so I just deal with it.

I did think about having it removed, but I have decided against that because I don't like the idea of making functional modifications in case I ever have to be judged in court.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    This is why there is so many types of guns out there, everyone has different likes and needs, what works for one may not for the other.

Sounds like you need a better holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    A BG 380 is DAO and I think as long as you have a good pocket holster you should be fine. My wife carries hers AIWB and there has been no problems.

I have an LCP that I carry in a pocket holster and they don't have an external safety. I also suggest get into the practice of removing your holster out of your pocket before you "re-holster" when you practice your draw with a pocket holster.

-
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links