Soft recoiling 9mm for small hands

This is a discussion on Soft recoiling 9mm for small hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my wife shooting. She does not CC she never will. Im looking for a gun for her for HD if im not around. She ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Soft recoiling 9mm for small hands

Soft recoiling 9mm for small hands

Took my wife shooting. She does not CC she never will. Im looking for a gun for her for HD if im not around. She is recoil sensitive...no real way to get over that I guess you either are or you are not.

1. She hated the TCP .380(i can only get around a box down range before i call it quits myself..its a carry a lot shoot a little type gun)

2. She disliked the double action trigger pull and recoil on the Snubby .38 special(thats just with training round nose not even +p stuff)

3. My CC gun the SR9c she was ok with the trigger still said the recoil was more than she liked but said it was better than the others..it was also the only one she shot reasonably well and fit her hands "ok"

4. She LOVED shooting the S&W 22A .22lr and I could not keep mags loaded fast enough for her lol. she shot this very well also and most accurately

So without getting overly big or heavy whats a decent full size 9mm that you would recommend for someone with smaller hands an thats a "soft" shooter.

I really dont feel comfortable with just a .22 lr semi auto for HD...I know its better than nothing but is there a 9mm out there that someone with smaller hands would find to be a soft shooter...

I was even thinking of a smaller semi auto type rifle maybe a carbine type she wont be room clearing just defending a bedroom/bedroom door...if we cant think of a handgun

I didnt think she would be as recoil adverse..hopefully with more shooting she may learn to conquer that fear of the recoil?

I had recently shot a 9mm full metal frame CZ and it seemed to be a pop gun to me because of its weight. maybe something like that?? Just dont want to get the grips too big for her hands. the SR9c/SR9 seemed about the largest she would handle well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Not sure about recoil on a 9mm, I shoot a full size M&P 40, but how about the M&P Shield? Like I said though, I have only ever shot one 9mm, and it's a Hi-Point. lol!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Glock 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Avoid the lighter alloy frame/poly frame guns. You need weight to offset the recoil. I have smaller hands (men's small gloves size 9)

I use a Sig P239 and an Astra A-75 both in 9mm (added benefit is that with a barrel swap on the A-75 you can step up to 40 S&W Order from EAA for $110) Both are single stack and fit my hands well. The P239 is an alloy frame so you may want to try before buy to see how the recoil feels.

There are several of the A-75 steel frame pistols on gunbroker right now for $300-$400
    RickyD and gatorbait51 like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Find her a Ruger P-89. She will be a very happy camper. You want something with a steel frame and heavy barrel.

You're on track. Try a heavier (steel frame) Kahr K9. The single-column grip size is ideal for smaller hands, yet the weight makes 9mm SD ammo recoil recognizably softer. And if you can find a S&W 3913, they're a good compromise as well (one of my favorites).
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Take a peek at the Bersa Thunder Plus .380. All metal (absorbs recoil better than plastic) and a bit larger than a pocket .380. Reasonably priced, and high capacity.
    gatorbait51 and BurgerBoy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Since it is for home defense and not concealed carry, my recommendation would be Glock 17.

Polymer guns usually have less recoil, and the larger/heavier guns have less recoil (hence the 17 rather than 19). The glock trigger is lighter than many others.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Beretta Px4 Storm Full size or Compact has a rotating barrel which really disperses the felt recoil. Polymer frame with three backstrap sizes.

My wife loves her Gen4 Glock 19 (shoots without backstraps so it fits her hand well). While some small pistols are hard to shoot in general (Kahr PM9 comes to mind), most of the "hard recoil" problems can be addressed with proper grip and a solid stance. At least on the Glocks (and probably other brands as well) you can get weighted recoil spring rods (stainless steel and heavier metals) that also help reduce the muzzle jump and soften the recoil. That was going to be the next step with my wife if needed, but we didn't end-up needing that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I will agree with the PX4 Compact. My wife shot over 100 rounds her first time with it with no problem
    If you want to do some research. Go to genitron.com as you click on a gun, it tells you a recoil index which you can compare.
    For example, the PX4 Compact 9mm is 4.86 footlbs recoil and the SR9C is 5.74 foot-lbs
    gatorbait51 and EdJean like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

And the final recommendation is find a range/firearm dealer that lets you shoot a wide range of firearms. Take her there and let her keep shooting guns until she finds one she likes. That is really the only good way for her to find what fits her.

I feel that the Glock 19 is too large for a woman with small hands.

My first recommendation is the Kahr K-9. An all steel, single stack, 9mm gun, this should fit her well. The weight will soften the recoil. My main concern would be whether or not she can cycle the slide easily enough. A secondary concern is the erratic reliability shown by the brand. In a recent survey on this site, 77% of the 122 who answered the survey (the last time I looked), said that they were totally confident in their Kahr. This seems like a low number.

My second choice is the Bersa 9BP-CC.

My third choice is the Sig P-239 in 9mm.
    gatorbait51 and Paladin3840 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I will agree with the PX4 Compact. My wife shot over 100 rounds her first time with it with no problem
    If you want to do some research. Go to genitron.com as you click on a gun, it tells you a recoil index which you can compare.
    For example, the PX4 Compact 9mm is 4.86 footlbs recoil and the SR9C is 5.74 foot-lbs
    But that does not give you impression of recoil. You can have firearms with higher recoil but because of the way they fit in the hand and the direction of recoil feel better to shoot.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Did you plug the holes in that hot tub?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links