A Gen 4 G26 range report

A Gen 4 G26 range report

This is a discussion on A Gen 4 G26 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally made time to get out and shoot my new gun. I put 150 rounds of assorted 115gr. FMJ through it (including shooting 2-17 ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Remy
  • 1 Post By walkbyfaith09
  • 1 Post By Tundra5.7
  • 1 Post By jsimpson4

Thread: A Gen 4 G26 range report

A Gen 4 G26 range report

I finally made time to get out and shoot my new gun. I put 150 rounds of assorted 115gr. FMJ through it (including shooting 2-17 round mags from my G17, I’ll carry one as a spare), and 30 rounds of my 147gr. carry rounds without any malfunctions. I shot 2-handed, 1-hand (strong and weak), slow fire and rapid fire. I shot mostly at 7 yards, with some 10 and 15 yard shooting, and a few rounds of draw-and -point shoot at about 3 yards. I want to run at least 1-17 round mag of my carry rounds through the gun, then I'll call it good to go for my new carry gun.

I had bought a Pearce PG-26 mag extension which adds just enough of an extension (about ½”) to fit the pinky finger on. I feel I shot about the same with or without the extension…but it felt better with the 3-finger grip. The 2-finger grip was ok…and I can manage/control the gun just fine…but so far I feel more ‘sure’ with the extension. For me, where I’ll be carrying the G26 (on my hip at 3:00, IWB), with my physical build, the mag extension doesn’t make it any less concealable than without the mag extension. For me, where I would see myself carrying this gun without the mag extension is if I would be wearing a jacket that had big enough pockets to carry it in the pocket. Or if I had a pair of cargo pants with big enough pockets. Of course I’d only ‘large pocket’ carry with a proper pocket holster.

Comparing it to my G17, I feel like was able to shoot it as good…or maybe a touch better. To be fair, I only shot 25 rounds through my G17 that day. Next time out, I’ll try put equal rounds through each gun and shoot at the same yardages to get a better comparison. I do know I got more ‘slide bite’ than I ever can remember having with the G17. So I’ll be shooting it from now on with the Medium sized Beavertail backstrap that now comes with the gun.

So…yep…I’m very happy (so far) with this little gun.

Congrats on the g26! I picked one up not too long ago and I really like it. I think it's a great carry gun since it's so short in the grip which makes it such a breeze to cc. Also is a very accurate little pistol and very versatile. That's what I like most about glocks actually, super versatile battle pistol. It does have more felt recoil than the g19 or 17, but it didn't take long to get used to it and just tighten the grip a little more and I was fine. I have truglo TFO's on mine and they are awesome! I highly recommend them. Also have a plus 3 round pinky extension from pierce on two of the mags and I keep one flush for carry.
    All around I am very happy with the g26, and now I need I buy a g19!!
    Remy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Congrats on the new 26! I shoot my 27 better than a G22.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Since I already have the G17, for me the G19 is too close to the G17 (which I can conceal pretty easy). I borrowed a friends G23 and compared it to my G26 with the Pearce +0 extension, and the G26 for me still concealed better than the G19 in the grip. But if I could only have 1 Glock, it would be a G19/23 to cover all bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    I shoot my 27 better than a G22.
    As I mentioned in my OP, I believe it is the same for me between my 2 guns. Not quite sure why it is that way...but I'll deal with it!

Love my G26 gen4. I thought I would have to have the Pearce extension but once I got used to the flush floor plate, I prefer carrying it and shooting it that way. Now when I use a mag with the extension, it feels odd. Excellent choice going with the 26. Enjoy it.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jsimpson4 View Post
    Love my G26 gen4. I thought I would have to have the Pearce extension but once I got used to the flush floor plate, I prefer carrying it and shooting it that way. Now when I use a mag with the extension, it feels odd. Excellent choice going with the 26. Enjoy it.
    I'll be practicing live fire draws from concealment with and without the mag extension. I might have a change of mind and go with the flush mag if I feel confident and sure. I want to be prepared for any condition where I might have wet/slick or cold or muddy hands or any less than ideal conditions to deal with.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    sounds great.

The Gen 3 G26 fit me better than the Gen 4, but the Gen 4 G19 is sweet as pie.

I've used the GAP plates in my Glock 33 and also the Pearce.

With no real experience with +1 plates or other extension types, I'm kind of leary about them.

I think I'm good to go with my Glock 26 and a full 10-round mag with one up the spout.

11 rounds on hand should be enough?

No worse than my old 5-shot Ruger and one spare speed loader or speed strip.

Enjoy that new Glock.

I like mine. I prefer the Gen 4s as well.

I have a 17, a 19, and a 26. I probably shoot the 19 best. My 17 has a set of Warrens on it, and is more or less reserved for competition. My 26 is a good carry gun as well, and shoots a lot tighter than I'd expected. I put the Pierce +0 extensions on three mags, bought two more standard mags, and then three factory +2 mags.

Congrats I love my 26 and 27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Congratulations on an excellent choice.

I have the extension on one of the G26 magazines, the other is stock. I insert the magazine that conceals best with the clothes I'm wearing that day. I put the other one in my left front pocket as a spare.

I have sometimes carried a G19 magazine as a spare but don't like the extra weight and size.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    insert the magazine that conceals best with the clothes I'm wearing that day. I put the other one in my left front pocket as a spare.
    I like that idea.

I do have a mag carrier that I can carry a spare G17 mag if I want to.

Links