Ruger LCR...where you have been all my life?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR...where you have been all my life? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from taking my new Ruger LCR .38 Special out for its first range trip and all I can say is WOW! ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Phaedrus
  • 2 Post By Katoom
  • 1 Post By Haywood

Thread: Ruger LCR...where you have been all my life?

Ruger LCR...where you have been all my life?

I just got back from taking my new Ruger LCR .38 Special out for its first range trip and all I can say is WOW! What an awesome little gun! I've had maybe ten wheelguns over the years but none in the last 10-15 years or so. Man, the LCR is a great shooter! What a stupendous double action trigger! I was surprised to have my first five rounds all cluster right in the center of the A zone in a group about 2.5" wide at 10 yards. Not amazing but pretty good to me for not having shot a DA gun in a decade and a half. What a fun little gun to shoot, too. All I had on hand was 130gr Winchester Ball training ammo, not +P, but it was quite pleasant. I can tell that +P stuff is gonna be pretty snappy in this little thing, though, but it should be manageable. Sadly I only took one 50/round box along with my Ruger Mk I .22 pistol and a few hundred rounds. I should have taken a couple hundred rounds of .38 Special and 50 rounds of .22 LR, due to how fun the LCR is to shoot!

Now....if only they'd make this thing in a 9mm! It would rock to have it in 9mm and a dozen moon clips. Wonder if such a thing will happen?
    5lima30ret and Sleepnheat like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

BTW, I'm seriously thinking about picking one up in .22 LR!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Im going to be picking up my first revolver in the next few weeks, maybe even this weekend, and Im stuck between the S&W 642 and the Ruger LCR. Both look great.

I'm very happy with my .38. It shoots well for me too. Instead of 9mm, I'd really dig a larger 5 shot .45ACP model using moon clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Im going to be picking up my first revolver in the next few weeks, maybe even this weekend, and Im stuck between the S&W 642 and the Ruger LCR. Both look great.
    I agree both are great. Personally I like the LCR a little more. It just fits my hand better and I prefer the grips. Also the front sight is supposed to be easy to change DIY-style (haven't tried yet but I will probably be getting an XS night sight soon). I doubt you can go wrong either way.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Good to hear a good range report. Sounds like I need to pick one up for myself.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I'm a pretty hardcore autoloader guy, so for me to love a wheelgun is saying something! Can't go over how nice the trigger is for such an inexpensive gun OOTB. BTW, there's a new version for 2014 that has an exposed hammer. Funny, I just saw it today, less than a week after getting my LCR. I'm probably lucky, though- had I seen it earlier I would have probably bought it over the version I did buy but it likely wouldn't have served me as well. I probably would have been seduced by the ability to thumb cock it for a SA shot when realistically that's now how this gun is meant to be used. And the hammer would just be one more thing to snag and catch.

Just wait till you handle the LCRX .....

When that comes out in 22 mag and 357 yeah I am getting one .. Plus no lock !
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I agree both are great. Personally I like the LCR a little more. It just fits my hand better and I prefer the grips. Also the front sight is supposed to be easy to change DIY-style (haven't tried yet but I will probably be getting an XS night sight soon). I doubt you can go wrong either way.
    Same here. I was between the Ruger & S&W and liked the fit of the LCR better.

I also swapped the front sight to a HIViz FO. With a set of roll punches it's a quick & easy job.
    WisconsinJohns and Phaedrus like this.
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

My LCR357 is one of my favorite carry guns. Weather it's in my pocket backing up my SP101 or IWB with 442 in pocket, it's with me every day. I have over 3000 rounds through it. Now that arthritis is weakening my hands I have been shooting more 38s than 357. I also have been using 135g Gold Dot 38+P for my carry load because of its reputation. With the addition of a XS dot sight it dose nightstand duty also.
    BMAT likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I love my LCR .38 and would to have the little brother to it in .22 mag!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Haywood said what I do to the tee. But I just have 2000 thru mine and a Novak tritium front sight.

Just love the LCR myself. She gets more carry time than any of my other girls. Oh, and she is SOOO fun to shot!

Enjoy!

http://www.studentofthegun.com
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I tote a LCR .357 everyday. No complaints!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Just wait till you handle the LCRX .....

When that comes out in 22 mag and 357 yeah I am getting one .. Plus no lock !
    I hate to bust your bubble but my lcrx has a lock

Links