M&P Shield Manual Safety Removal

This is a discussion on M&P Shield Manual Safety Removal within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a video on how to remove the M&P Shield safety. You will need some machining equipment. And of course he does not tell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: M&P Shield Manual Safety Removal

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

M&P Shield Manual Safety Removal

Here is a video on how to remove the M&P Shield safety. You will need some machining equipment. And of course he does not tell you how to disassemble/reassemble the gun.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Why would you want to remove a safety?
    D_FIN, OlCop, CLASS3NH and 1 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Can't see modifying a carry weapon in such a way as to make it easier for an attorney to make it seem I was itching to use it.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Why would you want to remove a safety?
    I agree. The safety on my Shield is always off and never once in over a year on carrying has it every engaged.
    CLASS3NH, Norm66 and andrewcdub like this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I agree with the two previous posts. I really think the safety on a Shield is for holstering rather than for carrying it with the safety on. It's actually pretty tough to put on & off I can't really believe the designers expect it to be carried on.

And the prosecuting attorney factor is a huge one IMO. "This man not only used man-killing bullets designed to expand but he also disabled a safety device on his gun". Not for me.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Why S&W decided a thumb safety was necessary on the Shield is a question only they can answer. I rarely engage mine, except when holstering. I disengage just before the gun's completely holstered and the trigger is safely covered. Do I have to? No, but I do it anyway.
    Norm66 and CLASS3NH like this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Can't see modifying a carry weapon in such a way as to make it easier for an attorney to make it seem I was itching to use it.
    Or, imagine having a negligent discharge in which someone was injured or killed. Imagine how easy the argument would be by the prosecutor when the realization dawns on the jury that the safeties were deliberately removed.
    CLASS3NH, mook012 and Brad426 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Just my humble opinion but I wish someone would make an aftermarket safety with a larger lever. I'd like one about midway between OEM and the one on the M&P Compacts.

FWIW I've never been bothered by thumb safeties.

Hey OP, have you ever heard of "Glock Leg"? just wonderin..
    CLASS3NH likes this.

The safety on the Shield is so unintrusive, I don't know why there is so much banter about it. Simply leave it off. I sure wish the hobby of trying to make all guns into a version of a Glock would end soon.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I would not buy a pistol with a safety unless I wanted a safety.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Have to agree with the others. Why even worry about the safety. Leave it dis-engaged. That's how I carry my CZ RAMI. Now if I were carrying it cocked and locked, then yes the safety would be engaged.
    mook012, CLASS3NH and Norm66 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ah yes, when all else fails lets really try and see if we can screw up our defensive weapons. After all, we certainly know better than the manufacturer how this thing should work. After we bubbafie it we can go on the forums and complain about how it doesn't work and we'll never own another one. And besides, I've never seen a news story where anyone was crucified for removing a safety device so its obviously ok to do so.

It is easy to disengage the safety of my shield with a sweep of the thumb. It is no big deal. That being said, I don't always carry it with the safety on. I do have the habit of sweeping my thumb down though to disengage the safety whether it is on or not.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Just my humble opinion but I wish someone would make an aftermarket safety with a larger lever. I'd like one about midway between OEM and the one on the M&P Compacts.
    I've wanted something like this for a while. I like the size of the one on Ruger's LC9. I'd be very pleased with one on my Shield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links