Defensive NON-Carry - What't the best you have seen or heard of?

This is a discussion on Defensive NON-Carry - What't the best you have seen or heard of? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where to post, but here goes.... Growing up in a rural farm community 30-40 years ago is a little different, but not much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Defensive NON-Carry - What't the best you have seen or heard of?

Not sure where to post, but here goes....

Growing up in a rural farm community 30-40 years ago is a little different, but not much than now. I distinctly remember when I was about ten years old going into one of the local gas station/community stores. That day I was with a friend of mine who knew the owners very well as there mom stopped there most every day for gas. Robert asked if I wanted to see something "cool", and of course I answered yes. Again, this was a store at least 20 minutes away from the closest semblance of a town.

Below where the register was, was a sawed off double barrel 12 gauge point at your groin if you stood in front of the register. The store owner had a thin piece of paneling between the barrel and the customer. it could be fired from position, or removed and taken with.

They never had a robbery problem to my knowledge.... I bet most of todays corporate gas stations would not be comfortable with that type of "security system"

Anyone have anything to add or similar items....

That was also a much less litigious time.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Brooklyn, NY I used to get my paychecks cashed at a local privately owned check cashing store. He had his shotgun hanging on the wall behind him (He also had the 3-4 " thick plexiglass). But he would also display his better shotgun targets on the wall too.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    My uncle had his own clothing store. Beneath the cash register was a neatly wrapped box, but the top side had only wrapping paper covering it. Inside was an S&W 686. It was a customized gift from SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) with his name engraved on it.

'Not saying it was a great idea for such a valuable gun, but that's how he rolled.
    molleur and Bigsteve113 like this.

The place I tended bar at while in college had a sawed down pump shotty on a shelf right under the bar and a old 38 special in the cash drawer. We had a number of sports pools going on and therefore had lots of cash on certain days. Of course the attitudes of the factory hands that frequented the place was probably enough to keep strangers away.

Claymore mines. Nothing says "go away" better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

When younger only hung out in cop bars owner never felt the need to have a weapon always had a bunch of us there most days.

The little store I used to walk to as a kid had those pull drawer type cigarette pack dispensers about the clerk's counter. One of the drawers contained a Walther P38, or P1 maybe, I never got a real close look at it. The old fellow had very few kin, and I've no idea where that old gun went when he passed on.

Although I never saw it personally, but we had a veteran back home that reportedly has some sort of mine/grenade rigged up under the seat of his truck. If you didn't know how to disarm it, before starting, it would blow up. If it wasn't true, it sure kept someone from wanting to mess with him......

Supposedly a friend who served with him said he had broken his neck during a combat mission and held his head up with one hand and drove himself for help......

Knowing of the guy, I wouldn't doubt either story!

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    Although I never saw it personally, but we had a veteran back home that reportedly has some sort of mine/grenade rigged up under the seat of his truck. If you didn't know how to disarm it, before starting, it would blow up. If it wasn't true, it sure kept someone from wanting to mess with him......

Supposedly a friend who served with him said he had broken his neck during a combat mission and held his head up with one hand and drove himself for help......

Knowing of the guy, I wouldn't doubt either story!
    Wow... I've seen some crazy stuff, but that seems a little too crazy to believe. On the off chance that it is true, he would most definitely be facing a very long time in prison if anyone were to be killed/injured by it. Would it even be legal to have something like that set up in the first place? I'm not sure, but my gut is telling me, "No."

Second Division, Camp Casey Korea 1972.
    I worked in an outfit called AG Forward. We processed messages off the teletype, Delivered Registered Mail and Classified Document Pouchs. Put the CG's Reading File together every morning, etc.
    We had a Loaded 1911 that Lived in the desk drawer in the Cage, and a large Thermite Grenade that Lived on top of each safe.
    Best as I remember the Thermite Grenades were in a cardboard canister about the same size as a 15 Pound keg of RedDot. My guess is they were WAY over size for the application.
    Just got to thinking. Camp Casey 96224, Souel 96301, The real base that the TV Series MASH was located at 96358. Who would think you would remember the Zip Codes after 40+ years.

Bob
    Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carriers
    ICORE MO2908
    NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Wow... I've seen some crazy stuff, but that seems a little too crazy to believe. On the off chance that it is true, he would most definitely be facing a very long time in prison if anyone were to be killed/injured by it. Would it even be legal to have something like that set up in the first place? I'm not sure, but my gut is telling me, "No."
    I can't think of a single place in the US where setting a man-trap like that wouldn't get you thrown in the clink just for having it set up...

At the LGS I used to frequent when I was a teenager, they knew me well and let me behind the counter to look at the shotguns. When I got behind the counter, there were 2 1911s in mounts metal holsters that were screwed to the counter right by the cash register, and a 3rd 1911 out on a shelf a little further down.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Sponsor
    Kept a K frame Smith with 4" barrel under the register at the gun shop. Ithaca 9 shot model 37 M+P propped up with none in the chamber in the corner.

When I had the right people working certain days, the Ithaca went on the long gun wall behind the register with a tag that read "display purposes only, not for sale". No one got to handle it [ take it off the wall ] but the register person or myself. On a few occasions when I didn't like what I saw walk in the door, I'd take it off the wall as if to show it to a customer. Didn't bring any attention pulling from the wall like any other up there for sale.
    Badey likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I haven't thought about this in years, but back in the late 60's, maybe 1969, while in college I tended bar in a joint in downtown Minneapolis. A Thompson .45 Machine gun from the late 20's was either on the wall or against the wall behind the owner's desk in his office - I can't remember which. I thought it was a decorative thing. I found out towards the end of my tenure at the bar that it was loaded and ready for use. Wow!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links