Is the Nano too heavy to pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Is the Nano too heavy to pocket carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after comparing the two side by side I decided to forfeit the cm9 and stick my Nano on layaway. Wouldn't you know they put ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is the Nano too heavy to pocket carry?

Is the Nano too heavy to pocket carry?

So after comparing the two side by side I decided to forfeit the cm9 and stick my Nano on layaway. Wouldn't you know they put a TCP on sale. I've seen pics online where the Nano and the TCP are pretty darn close when laid on top of each other. The Nano weighs 23 oz loaded and the Taurus weighs 13.5 oz loaded. I would be packing this pistol during the summer months. I wear khaki/cargo shorts and on the really hot days I will wear drawstring gym shorts but rarely for much longer than it takes to mow the lawn or just over to a friends for a cookout.

I would carry in the front pocket. I think the nano would be fine in those khaki and jean shorts but maybe the tcp is the better option for gym shorts.

My issue is, new caliber, new expense. That $230 gun will add up to $400 in no time if I intend to break it in. Found some good Federal Hydras for $20 I would carry in that gun. So my question : I'm pretty set on the Nano but should I spend another $230 on a gun I will carry maybe 2 months out of the year on certain occasions? Or can the Nano fill that niche for gym shorts too?

Thanks everybody.

2. Remove Ads

I don't really pocket carry, but the other day on impulse I bought a cheap pocket holster for my Nano. I tried it in a pair of cargo shorts and it didn't seem too heavy. YMMV.

Definitely get the Beretta over the Taurus.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

I had a Nano, sold it (it was picky about ammo). For me, it was too heavy for pocket carry. Would only carry it IWB. I've since swore off single stack 9MM. If I'm going to pocket carry something in cargo shorts, it will be a 38 special.
    Haywood and miller_man like this.

I don't own a Nano but I found my LC9 to be to heavy for pocket carry at 17 some odd ounces. Can it be done? Of course. Is it comfortable? No

Skip both and get an LCP. Better yet skip it and just get an LCR.
    miller_man likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    cargo pants and a good belt. I've been pocket carrying my all steel 642 for years now, sure it's heavy, but a good sticky and it's all good.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

20 ounces is my max. It's thin enough but for my body too heavy.

The TCP is a good choice for pocket carry I have had both a 38 and 357 LCR and the 38 was far better. In a pocket 4 ounces is a lot.

My big issue was width. And the grip would peek out. The boot grip was better however.

I can carry a cm9 in my pocket and it's ok except in skinny jeans.

Just ' bout the action Boss...

For pocket carry, I like to limit gun weight to about 16 ounces, unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    cargo pants and a good belt. I've been pocket carrying my all steel 642 for years now, sure it's heavy, but a good sticky and it's all good.

I'm verging on being picky here, and I know it, but....

There is no all steel 642. The steel version of this Centennial style Smith is the 640.
    Last edited by sensei2; April 15th, 2014 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    For pocket carry, I like to limit gun weight to about 16 ounces, unloaded.
    Same here. The CM9 is as heavy as I want to pocket carry, and even then I prefer a back pocket with wallet holster. It is 14 oz. unloaded compared to the Nano at about 18 oz. If I'm in shorts with a draw string though I'm likely carrying my Kahr P380 at about 10 oz.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    zerosoma That's some thing you have to decide for your self. When I worked in the construction trades I carried a 21oz ss snubby for 20 years at work but now draw the line at the lighter cm9. I also mainly iwb now.
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Depends how well your pants fit. Lot of people with out a Nano in their pocket and the pants are falling off

Subjective question in that everyone has their weight/thickness threshold when it comes to pocket carry. Type of trousers/shorts dictate which of my pocket pistols I carry. In dress slacks, the LCP. In jeans, the PM9. In cargo shorts, the PM9. 442, or G26. Of all, the PM9 sees about 90% duty.
    Rotorflyr likes this.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

I pocket carry one often. Fat guy with big pocket.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Well... I hope I did the right thing but I did something I said I wouldn't. .. I added caliber and bought the TCP. It hasn't even arrived yet and I've spent $300 on ammo and have yet to buy find and defensive rounds.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

^ see I don't see myself personally wanting to spend that much on ammo for the gun. We will see I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links