Which shall I choose???

Which shall I choose???

This is a discussion on Which shall I choose??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to get a compact .45 but its hard to choose.Its between a M&P and a Glock.If I choose the Glock whih model????Anybody have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Which shall I choose???

Which shall I choose???

Looking to get a compact .45 but its hard to choose.Its between a M&P and a Glock.If I choose the Glock whih model????Anybody have a Glock in model 21?If so what is your opinion??Also looking at a M&P because I have a M&P shield in 9mm and I like how easy it is to field strip?Any feed back?????

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    I have a glock 21. I love it. it doesn't shoot as nice as my 1911, but it's 13+1 capacity is hard to argue with. The M&P is one or two less, correct?
    It is a big, clunky, chunky, brute of a pistol, but there are times that exactly what you want.

The only other double stack 45 I would consider right now is an FNX Tactical 45.

HK's are ok, a MARK 23 would be cool, but they're like unicorns....
    Kennydale and Eric357 like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Your in NY .. How about a sig 220 or the like ... Only as the max mag cap is 10 rounds ..8 normal ... You wont feel so left out with the 13 and 15 round mags on the others ..

That all said I love the 21sf .. Fits my hand great and very smoth shooting and you can mod it to fire 10mm ...

And the glock 21 takes down like any other glock .. Ie very easy

I like that you can shoot 10mm out of the 21 .. I have done that ( with a glock 20 mag and slide ) and that was fun..
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I think that in NYS where you are limited in your magazines i would consider a G36 or a XDs
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

You said you want compact why would you consider a G21, that is no where near compact. In any case, if it has to be glock or M&P i would either go with a glock 30S or 36. My personal preference on compact .45 is the Springfield XDs. The G36 and XDs would be your easiest to conceal if that is what you want, both are single stack and thin the XDs being thinner than the 36.
    Eric357 and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    An M&P points nicer for me than a Glock. "Pointing" doesn't seem to affect my shooting though. I have a Glock 30 and would recommend anything in the Glock 30 line. The G36 is thinner and lighter at the cost of few rounds.
    rockinglock32 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I'm really liking my Glock 30S.

rockinglock32 likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

30S or HK45C

The G21 is my primary carry gun, but compact...it ain't. By comparison, the M&P45 4.5" is more compact, but not by much. They're both duty-sized guns. If I were to look for a compact, it would be the G30 or 30s. I've shot some to the Kahrs and don't care for them...just don't like the feel. For more compact, I like the little Springfield XDs...you give up a little in capacity, but they're small. But, unless you NEED a pocket sized, look at all of them. Big guns may not shoot better, but they'll help you maximize YOUR shooting abilities....IMHO.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Love my G21. Love my XD45 Tactical just as much. Neither compare to my 1911, but I have no desire for a compact 1911. Your needs would probably be best suited by a Glock 30 or 30S since you will have a 10 round limitation. There ain't nothin' compact about a G21 or M&P 45!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Carried an M&P45c for a bit. Excellent shooter. Seemed about the same as carrying my G19 but heavier
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Being in NY, you should really look at the Glock 30 in whatever flavor you like. The silly "only 7 rounds in a 10 round mag" thing has already been thrown out in court. What I really like is that, with the flush 9 round mag, you have a pistol that is as concealable as a baby Glock, but with 9 rounds of .45 on tap (I do not top off my G30 - too much stress on the mag catch for my liking). And the gun is remarkably soft shooting, even with only a two finger grip.

I considered the M&P, but Glocks are lighter in weight.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

New Member Array NebraskasFinest's Avatar
    I have a G21 gen 3 that I used for 9 years of duty until recently switching to the gen 4. Both have been solid weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAD1 View Post
    Looking to get a compact .45 but it's hard to choose. It's between a M&P and a Glock.... Any feed back?
    Hold them both in your hand and see which one feels better. But before you pick up the M&P have the dealer install the small back strap, first.

If you can get past that slide which looks massive (wide) on the M&P, IMO, then ... I know, it's "only" 1.20" wide, but it still looks thick, to me.

Glocks just don't feel right in my hand; I always cant reach the mag release without changing my grip. I'm used to a 1911 slide release so something like the H&K 45c appeals to me more. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the M&P 45c, install the small back strap and do a trigger kit job on it. If I got the Glock I would have to install a trigger from a full frame pistol since I do not like serrated triggers. And since I'm there, I might as well do some judicious polishing, replace the extractor, install metal sights, etc.

See which one fits your hand better. See which one allows you to work all the controls without changing your grip. Both the M&P 45c and the Glock do not have slide releases, so you will have to pull the slide to chamber a round. Depressing the S&W slide stop, trying to use it as a slide release, is a wasted effort - it's really hard to depress. Glock mags are about 1/2 the price of S&W mags, about $20 vs. $40 - if that makes a big difference to you. See which one drops the mag easiest when you depress the mag release (meaning: not having to change your grip). See which one points more naturally.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Both the M&P 45c and the Glock do not have slide releases, so you will have to pull the slide to chamber a round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links