The Judge

This is a discussion on The Judge within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend who just got her pistol permit and has a 22 revolver that she has practiced with infrequently, says she really wants to get ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: The Judge

The Judge

A friend who just got her pistol permit and has a 22 revolver that she has practiced with infrequently, says she really wants to get The Judge.
    I have never liked these pistols, totally based on looks not experience.
    Anyone have any insight on these guns ? Do you own one ? Is 410 an expensive ammo ? Does it kick like a mule ?
    I want to steer her to a 357 revolver for her second gun. She is not interested in semiautos, she has a wrist issue and can't rack the slide.
    Doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win.

2. Remove Ads

I've shot a Judge and am no fan. Seems like a gimmicky weapon or one well suited to dispatching snakes. The 410 was not too harsh.

Before someone is offended and challenges my opinion, no... I would not want to get shot with a 410.
    Eric357 and bmcgilvray like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I've never shot one, but I have seen the ammo tests, and am unimpressed.
    mano3 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Try the Rhino. Get it in any caliber you want and it's supposed to flip the muzzle less which would help with her wrist.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

There better choices than the judge for a carry weapon. The LCR in, 357 would give her the ability to shoot both 357 and 38 "such. The 410 is a poor defensive round at best

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret, DingBat and Eric357 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Moderator
    I am not a fan of the .410 revolvers, they seem to be ineffective on anything other than mice and snakes. Yes I have shot them and other than shooting tossed clay pigeons with them (that is fun) I don't have a use for them.

I would strongly recommend a .38 spl revolver

I would have her try one of the small Beretta or Taurus autos with a tip up barrel, then she wouldn't have to rack the slide.
    mano3, DingBat, Eric357 and 1 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My wife has the Public Defender (Polymer Judge). She loves it when kept at appropriate range it should be effective. Ammo is a little pricey but she doesn't want to shoot as much as I do and prefers .22 lr when she does.
    maxwell97 likes this.

I've fired one. And about the only thing it would be good for is a last resort kind of gun. The 410 rounds were manageable, but all over the place any farther than 10-15ft away, and there's no way she'd handle it loaded with 45LC if she has wrist issues.
    5lima30ret and DingBat like this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

VIP Member
    I agree with the others. Haven't shot, but I have handled the judge. IMO it is big and bulky. I rank it as a gimmick gun.

You said she has wrist issues. Do the issues also make her recoil sensitive? If so I'd recommend a .357 and shoot it with .38. The weight associated with it should help tame the recoil.
    Eric357 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Steer her towards the .357 / .38 revolver.

Will .410 work? Sure.

But it's expensive, big and bulky, and is not even close to .357 in proven self defense situations.

And .45LC will be torture for someone with wrist issues.

The Judge is a great snake charmer. I actually considered getting one for hiking around the Everglades. Snakes are a real concern out there and The Judge in .410 shot would be great for that purpose.
    5lima30ret and DingBat like this.

I like that Ruger LCR or the S&W bodyguard too. I'm hoping to get her to have an open mind and rethink the judge. Hopefully my LGS can work with her. Maybe talk her into some options besides that judge...
    Appreciate the advice.
    Doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    For me, the Judge, nor any of the other .45LC/.410 revolvers are a suitable self defense weapon. There are just too many other proven guns that provide easier concealment with more lethality.

A guy at the local range had just bought one and he let me fire it. He had .45 LC loaded. It was okay, recoil wasn't that much - it is a heavy revolver. To me, it's more weight than necessary in a defensive gun. I wouldn't use .410 for defense, so what's the point? For .45 LC I would rather have a different revolver. A Judge for a new shooter? No, don't think so.
    DingBat likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

IMHO the Judge is far too big & heavy for the performance it delivers. At anything past "in-your-face" range, I'll take a .357 any day. I'd be steering her towards an SP-101.

BTW - A .410 is gross overkill for snakes, unless maybe you're dealing with invasive anacondas in Florida or something. I've never seen a snake take more than two steps after being shot with a CCI shotshell out of a .38 snubby.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I have a Smith and Wesson Governor. Because it can fire 410, 45LC and 45ACP, it is a better choice than a Judge. I have fired around 50 rounds of 410s through it. It does have some kick but it is manageable. I bought it as my primary HD gun. I am a newer Gun person, I am supprised by the negative reactions I see on these types of guns. It is a larger revolver, but it is not too heavy (29 oz). The defensive 410 loads are expensive, but I practice with 45ACP (using moon clip). I still feel it is a good choice for some people (not for CC).

CLASS3NH likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links