New car gun

This is a discussion on New car gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning all. I am looking to be in the market for a new 9mm. My primary carry when I'm off work is my Shield ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: New car gun

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar

New car gun

Good morning all. I am looking to be in the market for a new 9mm. My primary carry when I'm off work is my Shield in 9mm. Since I can't carry at work I put my LCP in my pocket if I have to go somewhere after work. So the Shield is in my safe on the desk in my bedroom most of the time as a home defense gun. I've seen some people talk about the sccy 9mm pistol. I'm a college student so price is a big deal. I'm looking to keep it in my car mostly. But I need it to be reliable enough to stake my life on.

I'm not wanting to start a caliber war. I believe a 9mm is sufficient to stop a threat in my area. Especially since spring is here and summer is coming. I can't afford one of the big brands like Springfield right now. I will be looking on other sites for reviews and stuff too.

I was just looking to get y'all's opinion on it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am not a big fan of the term "car gun" as you either carry it or you don't. Unfortunately you can't carry at work, so I would definitely think about how your are going to secure your firearm when it's in your car. If it were I, I would use the shield for the car and get a larger capacity firearm for the house.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Look at RIA 9mm 1911. I have one in .45. You can get one under $500.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

What is your price range?

Sub $500 - Sig SP2022 can be had for around $450ish but act fast. Prices are rising.

I'd agree with C Hawk in keeping the high capacity firearm for home defense and the Shield for a car gun.

I also agree that dedicated stay in car guns are a bad idea.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    So the Shield is in my safe on the desk in my bedroom most of the time as a home defense gun.
    just curious.........is the safe somehow bolted to your desk?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I am not a big fan of the term "car gun" as you either carry it or you don't. Unfortunately you can't carry at work, so I would definitely think about how your are going to secure your firearm when it's in your car. If it were I, I would use the shield for the car and get a larger capacity firearm for the house.
    Well I have a hidey hole in my car that I'd put it in. I plan to get a higher capacity for the house. Later on. Maybe next year. I just need something to keep in the car for a while. And I'd probably carry the SCCY just like I'd carry the Shield. Just depends.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    just curious.........is the safe somehow bolted to your desk?
    No it just sits on top of it. The desk is right next to my bed. Easily within my reach.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by firerat View Post
    What is your price range?

Sub $500 - Sig SP2022 can be had for around $450ish but act fast. Prices are rising.

I'd agree with C Hawk in keeping the high capacity firearm for home defense and the Shield for a car gun.

I also agree that dedicated stay in car guns are a bad idea.
    I'm not sure on a price range yet. If I am to pay over 500 for a gun I'm getting a full size and just keep it in my safe and swap out the shield. I'm also curious as to why a dedicated car guns is a bad idea.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OO7
    No it just sits on top of it. The desk is right next to my bed. Easily within my reach.
    I hope you're fast with the safe comb if you want to use that gun for home defense
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

I'm not sure on a price range yet. If I am to pay over 500 for a gun I'm getting a full size and just keep it in my safe and swap out the shield. I'm also curious as to why a dedicated car guns is a bad idea.
    They are easy to steal.

Same goes for your gun safe on your desk. Bolt that sucker down if you can. Or at least hide it.

Otherwise it makes a nice carrying case for a thief.

Anyways back on topic, I've heard (never fired myself) good things about the Canik line of pistols.

Buy CANIK at BudsGunShop

Decent priced (usually sub $500). but again act fast because prices are rising.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

sounds like an attractive item for a burgler to make off with while you are not at home
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

My sr40c is my car gun when I'm in the car, my truck gun when I'm in the truck, my house gun when I'm in the house etc. etc.

OO7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    My sr40c is my car gun when I'm in the car, my truck gun when I'm in the truck, my house gun when I'm in the house etc. etc.
    I'm the same way with my shield! Crazy

OO7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    sounds like an attractive item for a burgler to make off with while you are not at home
    So is all the rest of the stuff we own. Tv's and all kinds of stuff. Thankfully we live out in the country and crime isn't too bad. The city I work in is a different story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links