What .380 do I get for my birthday?

What .380 do I get for my birthday?

This is a discussion on What .380 do I get for my birthday? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the concealed world and currently I carry a Beretta Nano. I love the gun and it has been really nice to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What .380 do I get for my birthday?

Question What .380 do I get for my birthday?

I am new to the concealed world and currently I carry a Beretta Nano. I love the gun and it has been really nice to carry. I am quickly finding out that as the weather is getting warmer, it's harder for me to conceal the Nano in a way i'd like. Maybe im paranoid from having only carried for a few weeks now. I want to get a little tiny pocket .380 that my wife can also carry when I am carrying my Nano.

Funds are limited, so I am trying to stay around $350. Knowing also that .380 ammo is a little pricier right now. I really am set on a .380, so don't try to sway me from it.

I would really like to know if any of you have shot the Kahr CW380? It's priced really well and it seems like from what I read people moan about the break in more than anything. To me, as long as after the break in it's a nice reliable gun, i'll be happy.

I'd love to get the Colt Mustang or Sig P238, but I don't have $600 or care to spend $600 on a gun that doesn't get shot often enough to make sense dropping that kind of money.

Thoughts?

I carry using a VersaCarry holster, and have really enjoyed it so far.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

for that price range, I would say the ruger LCP
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    For that kind of money you're talking about I'd go with the LCP. You may also look into the Taurus TCP. I'm sure some people will hate on that one though.
    But I carry the LCP a lot and it is a great shooting mouse gun. You'll be happy with it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Administrator
    I'd also say the LCP. The Kahr is a great little pistol though too... I just think for your stated intentions the LCP is a better buy.
    gatorbait51 and DanielC like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You don't, you get a real gun....

J/K guys don't get all bent out of shape.

Ruger LCP gets my vote for your intentions.
    gatorbait51 and Smarshe like this.

Well I do have my air pump BB gun. That's my real gun!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Bersa makes some nice .380 pistols for the price. Ruger LCP or LC380 are options. S&W Bodyguard is an option. I do not recommend a .380 for primary carry since I personally don't trust a pocket 9mm for primary carry. But, you have to do what is right for you and your family in your circumstances. Good Luck!
    gatorbait51 and WannabeaCPA like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    $600 is nothing to drop on a self defense handgun. I could go on, but you all have heard it before.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash13a View Post
    I am new to the concealed world and currently I carry a Beretta Nano. I love the gun and it has been really nice to carry. I am quickly finding out that as the weather is getting warmer, it's harder for me to conceal the Nano in a way i'd like. Maybe im paranoid from having only carried for a few weeks now. I want to get a little tiny pocket .380 that my wife can also carry when I am carrying my Nano.

Funds are limited, so I am trying to stay around $350. Knowing also that .380 ammo is a little pricier right now. I really am set on a .380, so don't try to sway me from it.

I would really like to know if any of you have shot the Kahr CW380? It's priced really well and it seems like from what I read people moan about the break in more than anything. To me, as long as after the break in it's a nice reliable gun, i'll be happy.

I'd love to get the Colt Mustang or Sig P238, but I don't have $600 or care to spend $600 on a gun that doesn't get shot often enough to make sense dropping that kind of money.

Thoughts?

I carry using a VersaCarry holster, and have really enjoyed it so far.
    In the price range your talking, I will have to agree with the others. Look at the LCP. As to the Mustang or 238, I can understand money being tight, but how do you put a price tag on what yours and your wife's life are worth?
    gatorbait51 and JDE101 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Bersa .380's are awesome (I own 2) but may be a bit big for pocket carry.

Yeah it's a hard decision personally. Being a full time student and married, money is tight. So I simply want another option to add to my Nano. I'll throw another thing into the mix. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors, hiking, backpacking, camping, and have had some encounters on the trail. I do not want to carry in my backpack cause of how long it can take to get the bag off (vulnerable). So part of my reasoning is to have something real small that i can still get a backpack waist belt around but still carry IWB. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll take another look at the LCP.

Pocket carry is great for micro gun.. Some ask for your wallet you can give him a whole lot more ... For 200 bucks you can buy a Keltect p3at which if they run will alway run .. The lcp is another good choice ..The new bodyguard sans laser is great .. I have carry a lot of pocket 380s ... Right now I am carrying a ppk 32 but just beacuse I been diging them lately .. Normal I carry a bodyguard ...

Really all good chocce though the sig 238 is great ... I have seen 380 go for 20 bucks a 50 pack so not terrible ...

I normal carry either remora or galoc or desantsi nemsis ... I normal pocket carry so ask me what you want ... I have carried a lot from ppks to p11 ..

good luck
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Have had several .380's an my vote is for a G42 feels great feeds everything shoots very accurately easy to field strip an clean. If you wear cargo shorts easy to pocket carry great all around weapon got mine for 459.00 so a little outside your buget but
    IMHO worth every penny
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My CW380 has been a wonderful experience. I really enjoy shooting it as much as my other pistols. Only had 1 stove pipe during the break in period between rounds 50 and 75. A couple hundred rounds later, not a single issue. Overall, mine is very well built, fits my hand well, and can be carried anywhere in my pants pocket.

That said, do consider the LCP as well. It is slightly cheaper than the Kahr and any quality difference are negligible. Personal preference, how they feel in your hand will probably be the difference. Also, you'll have to be patient in order to bring one in at $350. In total, I paid $365 for mine which includes online purchase price, shipping cost and transfer fee. Having no idea what you LGS is like, I can only say that is you search around online you can find some decent prices on the Kahr, $300 to $315 before shipping and transfer fee.

Good luck and good hunting with your search.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kahr CW380, Kahr P9, Walther P99AS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links