which to choose??? trouble deciding!

This is a discussion on which to choose??? trouble deciding! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am having a dilemma of sorts! I am trying to decide which handgun to choose from for my next purchase, either a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: which to choose??? trouble deciding!

Hey everyone, I am having a dilemma of sorts! I am trying to decide which handgun to choose from for my next purchase, either a glock 23c or HK usp 40. I am not the greatest of glock fans, but I do know and don't question the quality of their product. I am an admitted HK fan, but not really that much into full size pistols. I know I will not be disappointed in either products performance, but it has been a very long time since I have fired an HK usp, and while I have experience with the glock 23, I have never fired the 23c. This would be more of a range toy for me as I don't have a use for carrying a full size pistol nor do I like the idea of a compensated weapon for SD.

I guess what it comes down to is how each weapon handles when fired, and whether or not the 23c has the potential to become a collectable some day.

Please keep in mind I do not have access to either of these to fire, and the price is 725 for the HK and 590 for the 23c. Thank you for any input, its greatly appreciated.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    If you know and like the Glock, go for it
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Distinguished Member
    I'm a glock guy for the most part. I like the trigger (I know it is provincial of me but I like the consistent pull, not a fan of DA/SA) so for me it is a no brainer. But the H&K is a thing of beauty, Nah, get the glock.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I've never been able to comprehend why HK has such a premium in the handgun marketplace. Every time I shoot one I ask myself what the big deal is compared to other less expensive pistols. Great handguns, but I havent found/shot one that is $4,$5,$6 hundred better than a M&P, Ruger, Glock, or similar model/manufacturer.

Go with the Glock.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

RT
    I would buy the Glock and use the money saved for something like a decent holster, spare mags, ammo, etc.
    gatorbait51 and BamaT like this.

If between a Glock 23 and a H&K USP, being an H&K fan, I'd say the USP (or even the P30) would be preferable. Great build quality, reliability. The P30 ergonomics are quite different, and that might make all the difference.

Myself: I'd do the USP or P30, if the G23 were my other option.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OO7
    The glock is just a better overall value IMO.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

To tell you the truth, it really doesn't sound like you really want either one. So, if it's going to be just a range toy, then I would get me a six inch 686 357 magnum or a 629 in 44 where I could really rip and roar at the range. The other two sound about damn boring.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

No Glock fans here....H&K
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    ^^^yup.

You don't really like full size frames, but you are going to but a full size frame? And then you are going to but a range toy and it has to be a polymer frame? In .40? In hi really want to enjoy your time, get a 9mm steel or alloy frame pistol. Well, that or the mini cannons glockman suggested.

Neither of the guns you listed will have any collectible value, but HK may hold more value (lose less) than a Glock. The HK P30 is a great suggestion.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Technically the g23 is a compact and not a full size. Might want to consider the 22. The 22 is a sweet shooter. I would go with that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Wow, in 10 responses no one has said get them both.......!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    SIG P226 in 40 LOL

My G23 is my HD gun and I like them alot,HK dont seem to catch my fancy one bit and neither do their price tags
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If you already have a center fire pistol covered for your personal defense then you really need a quality .22 pistol next. Ammo will be back one day when we get beyond this season of evil in Washington. Nothing is so entertaining and productive of handgunning skills as a .22.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Based on what you told us, I recommend you not buy either right now. It appears you have a lot more research and thought to give. Not being able to handle, much less fire both, is a serious detriment to making an informed decision. Guns are very personal items to the owners. You need to not rush into a purchase you will possibly (likely?) come to regret. IMHO, I don't think either will become a "collectible".
    oscar1, Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links