Sig P250 vs Walther PPX "the affordable DAO's"

This is a discussion on Sig P250 vs Walther PPX "the affordable DAO's" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These both seem like nice models for what they are. Safety-less, hammer-fired DAO's that are priced to be an "every-man's gun". With a close comparison ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P250 vs Walther PPX "the affordable DAO's"

These both seem like nice models for what they are. Safety-less, hammer-fired DAO's that are priced to be an "every-man's gun".

With a close comparison between the Sig P250-compact and the Walther PPX, they are almost identical on paper, with discrepancies in length, height, weight being minute and almost irrelevant. The only real difference between them I've noticed is that the PPX is a touch taller in the hand, an ounce or two heavier. However, these aren't necessarily bad things, as the PPX manages to squeeze an extra round in it's mag and seem to shoot a little softer than the P250C.

Both of these guns are owned by a few friends of mine, so I've had a few chances to take them for a spin. I'm thinking of getting a PPX just as a cheap plinker or nightstand rig.

I'd like to hear what you all have to say about each pistol if you've got some time on your hands. The only real benefit i see that one has over the other, is the Sig P250's ability to "double-strike" a round (something i wish the PPX had).

I've got a glock, revolvers, a handful of shotguns and rifles ect, ect ect. I'm not looking for suggestions of other guns to get, just your thoughts on these two. Thanks in advance for lending a hand if you can

I have zero experience with the Walther and only a single outing under my belt with my buddy's P250. But I really liked the P250. The one big difference that I like about the Sig is its modularity. The ability to go from subcompact to compact to full-size is a great feature in my opinion.
    Ianthin likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I think the P250 is a better pistol.
    Ianthin likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    The Walther is made by Umarex.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Never messed with the Walther, but the P250 has a really nice, smooth double action trigger. Surprisingly nice considering what it is. It's one of those guns I've always wanted, but never go out of my way to look for.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

I've never fired the Walther but I carry a P250 sc 9mm everyday.

Never had a single issue in 1000+ rounds.

Long trigger pull but smooth as butter.

I have a p250 sc in 40. Like it quite a bit. Functions flawlessly. I like the long trigger pull. In a stressful situation the long trigger pull will not be a problem for me while a short light pull with me might could yield an unintentional discharge. Yes, I know about "train, train, train."

The double strike seems to me to be less important if you use top quality ammo. I have used the double strike feature when shooting the cheap by the case cartridges. I concluded that it was the ammo not the gun that would cause the need for a doublestrike....perhaps every 300 - 400 rounds. Interestingly, every double strike caused the cartridge to fire.

No experience with the Walther.

TF

Sponsor
    I have the PPX and had(sold) the P250. The trigger on the PPX is head and shoulders above the P250 IMHO. However, you must keep in mind that the PPX is not truly a DAO pistol. It's more analogous to a striker fired pistol ala Glock or M&P. It's a pre charged hammer fired pistol, the hammer is cocked partially and the trigger fully cocks and releases. It does not have double strike capability.

I never really got to like the long(but smooth) DAO trigger on the P250. It just wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak.

I'm not sure about the PPX being made by Umarex. Mine is marked Walther, Ulm Germany. It does have less of a warranty than other Walther pistols and the barrel/chamber/locking block construction is drastically different than other Browning actions from Walther. It appears to be a MIM block with the barrel/chamber press fit and the feed ramp welded in place, which I'm sure contributes to the lower price.

The PPX is shooter though. Very accurate and follow up shots are easy due to the very manageable recoil and extremely nice trigger. While I only have around 1k rounds through mine it has not shown any problems yet. I shoot my hand loads primarily but ran a box of WWB and a couple mags of Critical Defense through it as well.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

P250 all the way.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

+1 for the p250 love mine!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I've had my PPX 9mm for about 18 months and it has been awesome. Very accurate and no issues after hundreds of rounds. It's been great at the range, for home defense, car, and I also carry it in a nice onyx iwb holster at times. It's been so good I bought the .40s&w version not long ago and it's performed the same with a bit more punch.

I've only seen the p250 in a store and have never even picked it up.
    Last edited by muckaleewarrior; August 14th, 2014 at 05:10 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    ...I'm not sure about the PPX being made by Umarex. Mine is marked Walther, Ulm Germany...
    My mistake. The CCP is their budget Umarex model. Still roll marked Walther, Ulm, DO, but made by Umarex. Walther has produced so many models in the last five years it's like trying to keep up with Glock or XD keeping them all straight.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I have both handguns. I like the modularity of the p250 and find it in the medium frame to be a great shooter as it is both accurate and easy to stay on target for quick follow ups. I carry it in the SC configuration and it is a nice carry piece. It will shoot rather well in the SC configuration also. The Walther PPX has an excellent trigger and is easy to shoot very accurately. I have become a fan of the PPX as a range or night stand handgun but it is not a very concealable handgun. Because of this, my Sig p250 is generally shot more as it is a carry gun for me. The PPX has been called an ugly handgun but I have become a fan of the ergonomics that it provides. The somewhat odd looking grip fits my hand very nicely and it is an easy gun to control. The p250, like all Sigs, handles well and is likewise easily controlled for FU shots. I tend to shoot Sigs better than just about anything else I own except for my Walther PPQ, PPX, and P99. My Sigs and Walther handguns both provide me excellent accuracy at the range and great ergonomics. They have become my favorites. The p250 and PPX are excellent values also.

The PPX has the best trigger of any striker fired gun I have ever shot. It's also ugly as a mud fence but has great ergos. If I could make it hold 19 rounds like my CZ-75 SP01 it would probably be my new HD pistol. I'm not familiar with the Sig 250.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    The Walther is made by Umarex.
    Umarex GmbH, Arnsberg, Germany has owned Walther Arms, Ulm Germany since 1992. Umerex makes some very high quality airguns and recently began manufacturing rim fire rifles in Germany.

S&W was the licensed US importer of Walther Arms (all made in Germany) from about 2006? until 2012.

Umerex USA was formed in 2006 after acquiring the US company RWS, also a maker of air guns in the US. Umerex USA has now assumed all Walther Imports to the USA.

Umerex has manufactured all Walther's under the brand name Walther Arms in both Amsberg and Ulm Germany since 1992.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links