M&P Shield striker movement

This is a discussion on M&P Shield striker movement within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, So I finally started cc'ing my M&P Shield with a Crossbreed Supertuck and like many people have been doing all kinds of research ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Fisher10

Thread: M&P Shield striker movement

Hey guys,

So I finally started cc'ing my M&P Shield with a Crossbreed Supertuck and like many people have been doing all kinds of research on these forums and Google about issues and potential concerns while carrying. Being my paranoid self, I have spent a lot of time recently researching the mechanics of the striker with the striker block. Just to ensure the striker block was working to a degree, I push slightly against the nose of the striker without compressing the striker block and as expected the striker does not move forward enough to where it could strike primer on a cartridge. Subsequently I push down on the striker block while pushing against the striker nose and as expected the striker moves enough to where it could hit the primer of a chambered cartridge.

Now for the paranoid part:

When I put a DECENT amount of forward pressure on the striker without pressing down on the block, the striker SLIGHTLY moves forward within the channel. not enough to where it could hit the primer, but seeing that tiny amount of forward movement made me curious enough to ask the intelligent individuals on this forum if I should at all be concerned with this. Would it be possible, given these specific circumstances, if enough force was put on the gun if it fell at the right angle or got hit hard while holstered, for the striker to still come forward past the block? I mean I put a good amount of pressure on it, and the striker definitely did not come out past the channel, but I am mainly wanting to see if its even physically possible.

Appreciate any help yall can give me!

OO7
    The shields safety has a firing pin disconnect. If you are that worried carry with the safety on
    The government should be afraid of their people not the other way around.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I don't think it's a big concern. I accidentally dropped my SD40VE onto a hardwood floor and it didn't go off. I haven't dropped my M&P yet, and hopefully, I won't.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by Bagelz1 View Post
    I put a good amount of pressure on it, and the striker definitely did not come out past the channel, but I am mainly wanting to see if its even physically possible.
    S&W has done their R&D and as evident with the minor trigger dingus return issue on some early Shields, they aren't afraid to issue a recall when something in the design isn't right. Your gun is safe.

Put your gun back together and stop being paranoid about it. The only way that gun will fire is if the trigger is pulled. If knowing your pistol will fire when the trigger is deliberately pulled bothers you, it also has manual safety.
    Bagelz1, Bad Bob and Enzo411 like this.

Sponsored Links