Fullsize or compact?

Fullsize or compact?

This is a discussion on Fullsize or compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Getting a new M&P.45 soon.Can,t decide between a 4.5in. fullsize or a 4in. compact.Would one shoot better than the other.?Need some feedback????????????????????????????????...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fullsize or compact?

Fullsize or compact?

Getting a new M&P.45 soon.Can,t decide between a 4.5in. fullsize or a 4in. compact.Would one shoot better than the other.?Need some feedback????????????????????????????????

VIP Member
    I carry the 9mm versions, so have nothing .45-specific to offer. Here is a comparison thread:
    New S&W M&P 45 Compact
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

It's unlikely that THEY'LL shoot appreciably better or worse. Yet YOU might shoot one better than the other. If it's for EDC, I'd be more drawn (pardon the pun) to the compact.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Whichever feels better in your hand will likely be more balanced and therefore shoot better. I think the only exception to this rule would be with the H&K USP compact vs. the full size USP as they have different recoil spring and guide rod systems.

OO7
    I would likely pick the compact for convenience when carrying
    The government should be afraid of their people not the other way around.

VIP Member
    Personally, I think the 4.5 will still conceal well, better balance and little difference in weight.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I bought the 45c. Great carry size, I have XL size hands and the 8 round mag with pinky base plate firsts me perfectly. I also have the full size mags with the xgrip extension if I want more capacity. So in my mind the 45c gives you both compact and full size options.
    firerat and bxny10455 like this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

VIP Member
    For cc I think the 4" would probably carry easier and conceal better. As far as shooting I've got a 5" and 4" 1911 and I can't really tell a difference up to 20 yards.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

My 45 C is my only M&P pistol, and it's more like the size of a Glock 19/23 rather than a "baby Glock". I like it a lot, enjoy shooting it, and it conceals with no problem. I'd strongly recommend it!!
    zonker1986 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I look at both of those from time to time & I just love the way the .45c fits my hand!
    But yeah, I've yet to fire one.

Compact

If you have a CC permit get the compact no permit get the full size ..You cant gain any more roudns either way due to the state .. I perosnal would go for the compact if it feels good to you ... Only as like the glock 19 it is best for everthing ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I think the grip height affects concealment more than barrel length. CCO, Vbob, those are designed to minimize the print of the bottom of the grip.

I recently went through this with the M&P 40 vs. the 40c. I shot both well so it was just a matter of if the full size felt ok to conceal. I chose the full size .40 and it is easy for me to carry it. In fact, it much easier than I anticipated and I do forget its there sometimes. The key is to get a decent holster. I like the full size feel over the compact and the extra rounds is a plus.

Which ever one you shoot well and will carry. 1/2 in added to the barrel will probably be unnoticeable but 1/2 in the grip may be a game changer.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links