Dry Practice included with CCW class - anyone know of anyone else?

This is a discussion on Dry Practice included with CCW class - anyone know of anyone else? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently started a business teaching the Nebraska CCW class to help residents to get their CCW permits. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I designed ...

Thread: Dry Practice included with CCW class - anyone know of anyone else?

Dry Practice included with CCW class - anyone know of anyone else?

I've recently started a business teaching the Nebraska CCW class to help residents to get their CCW permits. As a Certified NRA Instructor, I designed my curriculum to teach valuable Dry Practice skills to my students to make sure they are learning safe gun handling skills and so that they understand HOW to do Dry Practice. As firearm owners I hope we all know how important Dry Practice is, but I'm unaware of anybody else offering instruction on HOW to do it. For instance, the draw process, sight alignment and sight picture, grip, trigger press, trapping the trigger, trigger reset, follow through, etc... If someone doesn't know how to practice these things, are they really able to effectively do it? or are they just ingraining poor technique into their muscle memory?
    Ken Evans
    Instructor - Second Amendment Firearm Education (SAFE)
    Omaha, NE

2. Remove Ads

Who else is a believer in the importance of Dry Practice? Did you know that the NRA actually
    now recommends 90% of your practice should be Dry Practice? The idea behind it, though, is to
    build into our muscle memory good techniques so that if we are ever forced to use our gun in a
    self defense situation, our body knows how to react. If we practice improper technique, we develop
    poor habits that may hurt instead of help our chances of survival.

What are your thoughts about when someone should learn the basic fundamentals of Dry Practice?

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You might want to look into Laser Dry Fire. Put in a laser, use a system like the OCAT System and you have a virtual range in your classroom.

cj
    Front Sight (say of them what you will, but they can take a completely novice and get them shooting safely and usually fairly accurately by the end of a 4 day class) emphasizes dry practice heavily in their curriculum. In fact I believe they even offer an online course which is exclusively dry practice.

Claude Werner teaches dry fire and has several videos and cd to assist with such.

Links