Broke my Favorite Gun tonight

This is a discussion on Broke my Favorite Gun tonight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After 5 years, 4200 rounds, and not a single malfunction or jam of any kind my favorite gun had a terminal failure at the range ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Broke my Favorite Gun tonight

After 5 years, 4200 rounds, and not a single malfunction or jam of any kind my favorite gun had a terminal failure at the range tonight. The recoil spring assembly broke (captured spring system). It's my Taurus PT709. After 4200+ rounds, I can't really be surprised. I should have replaced it as a matter of course before now.

I called Taurus and I could pay to ship the gun to them and they would fix it for free, or just buy a replacement spring assembly for $9 and have them send it to me. So I opted to buy 2 of the springs and have them send them to me. They are on backorder and may be 6 to 8 weeks. But hey, no big deal, I've got plenty of firearms to fill the need.

Another reason to have multiple firearms...and to buy extra springs/parts that you can anticipate needing BEFORE they break. I actually thought about the round count on this gun and the recoil spring a couple weeks ago and then BAM. Broken. Should have replaced it at 3,000 rounds. I'll have an extra on hand going forward.

You may find it surprising that this is my favorite gun (out of several Springfields, Rugers, Smiths, had several Glocks, etc.) but it is. Small, thin, light, easy to carry, fun to shoot, dead-eye accurate, and has been 100% reliable up to this point. Without question, it's been one I've carried, used, and enjoyed the most.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sorry to hear that. Well, a good lesson to share. Everything breaks eventually.
    RickyD and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Worse than losing your dog.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Well, a good lesson to share. Everything breaks eventually.
    Yep...and having a preventive maintenance plan to replace parts you expect to wear (like springs) and having those parts on hand is most beneficial. That's why I ordered 2. I'll be keeping an extra on hand for my firearms going forward. Got to order some for my other autos now too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Even with this malf, I was able to keep firing the weapon on the range to finish out the mag. I held the slide forward in battery, fired, then manually actuated the slide. Learned something new in dealing with a malf. Never had this happen before, so it was a good learning experience in several ways.
    RickyD and gatorbait51 like this.

Hey BugDude, sorry to hear about your Taurus, but good to know the fix is in the works. Historically, there is a lot of Taurus bashing. It sound like you bought a good one. My wife has a PT 92 and it has proven to be a good one too. At least for now. We have nowhere near your round count, but it is a real shooter ... accurate and reliable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    When I read terminal failure I was thinking something catastrophic happened. A recoil assemble isn't terminal. Heck, it isn't even in gun ICU. Just a bit of no-duty status until the new part comes in. It will just let your other guns feel a little less jealous for a while.

Springs go bad. Whether it is the much maligned Taurus or "Glock perfection" any spring will fail given enough use. Glad it happened at the range and not in a situation where it was a matter of life and death. Makes me think that my 92FS has probably well exceeded the recoil spring life. Maybe I should look into getting one of those things.
    Eric357, firerat, cthruit and 2 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    When I read terminal failure I was thinking something catastrophic happened. A recoil assemble isn't terminal. Heck, it isn't even in gun ICU. Just a bit of no-duty status until the new part comes in. It will just let your other guns feel a little less jealous for a while.

Springs go bad. Whether it is the much maligned Taurus or "Glock perfection" any spring will fail given enough use. Glad it happened at the range and not in a situation where it was a matter of life and death. Makes me think that my 92FS has probably well exceeded the recoil spring life. Maybe I should look into getting one of those things.
    Well, the malf took the gun out of commission for a while, hence my use of the word terminal...but it wasn't a permanent. I can't blame the gun or part, just normal wear. My fault for not replacing it sooner. For a small gun, that's a lot of rounds on a recoil spring.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    After 5 years, 4200 rounds, and not a single malfunction or jam of any kind my favorite gun had a terminal failure at the range tonight. The recoil spring assembly broke (captured spring system). I should have replaced it as a matter of course before now.
    The recoil spring assy is one of those things I replace on a regular basis, as a matter of course. It's the one thing in most guns that takes a lot of abuse, along with the mag spring/follower (IMO). Better safe than sorry. A "spring" cleaning has generally involved swapping in fresh recoil assys, with mine. Makes me feel better, if nothing else.

Glad to see that it was easily fixed. Nice to have a couple spares on hand, too.
    BugDude, Eric357, molleur and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Ya, that's not so terminal in my book. Glad to hear your favorite will be back in action with just a spring swap.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The recoil spring assy is one of those things I replace on a regular basis, as a matter of course. It's the one thing in most guns that takes a lot of abuse, along with the mag spring/follower (IMO). Better safe than sorry. A "spring" cleaning has generally involved swapping in fresh recoil assys, with mine. Makes me feel better, if nothing else.

Glad to see that it was easily fixed. Nice to have a couple spares on hand, too.
    Not to hijack the thread, but my EDC (G19) just hit 3,100 rounds. I was planning on replacing the recoil spring and trigger spring @ 5,000 rounds - maybe I should go ahead and get new springs and swap em out?
    BugDude and gatorbait51 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear about the problems with the gun. I' glad it wasn't something much worse. Hope it doesn't take too long to get her back to fine working condition.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Taurus often gets knocked but sounds like yours performs well runs reliably and has a good warranty for when the things of this world happen. Glad she works for you and the other folks I've known who own them (709).
    Czombie likes this.

Everything mechanical breaks and malfunctions. What shows the character behind the break, is how it was dealt with. You knew enough to be able to finish the mag safely, that is awesome. And your gun was still able to go bang, even when it was broken.

Bravo to both, you and your gun. Hope they get the springs in earlier than expected.
    molleur likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    After 5 years, 4200 rounds, and not a single malfunction or jam of any kind my favorite gun had a terminal failure at the range tonight. The recoil spring assembly broke (captured spring system). It's my Taurus PT709. After 4200+ rounds, I can't really be surprised. I should have replaced it as a matter of course before now.

I called Taurus and I could pay to ship the gun to them and they would fix it for free, or just buy a replacement spring assembly for $9 and have them send it to me. So I opted to buy 2 of the springs and have them send them to me. They are on backorder and may be 6 to 8 weeks. But hey, no big deal, I've got plenty of firearms to fill the need.

Another reason to have multiple firearms...and to buy extra springs/parts that you can anticipate needing BEFORE they break. I actually thought about the round count on this gun and the recoil spring a couple weeks ago and then BAM. Broken. Should have replaced it at 3,000 rounds. I'll have an extra on hand going forward.

You may find it surprising that this is my favorite gun (out of several Springfields, Rugers, Smiths, had several Glocks, etc.) but it is. Small, thin, light, easy to carry, fun to shoot, dead-eye accurate, and has been 100% reliable up to this point. Without question, it's been one I've carried, used, and enjoyed the most.
    Good to hear it has been reliable up to this point. I may need to think about having a few simple spare parts around for some of my pistols.
    BugDude likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Yes it happens, learned that one many years ago, since have extra parts ready to go in range bag. Since this post have taken inventory of parts an have found needed several for new acquisitions. Thanks for that.
    molleur and BugDude like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links