Taurus 608 8" .357 Mag

Taurus 608 8" .357 Mag

This is a discussion on Taurus 608 8" .357 Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm resdy to buy a new gun in the $500 or less range. I was planning on a new S&W 642 for the carry rotation ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bama61

Thread: Taurus 608 8" .357 Mag

Taurus 608 8" .357 Mag

I'm resdy to buy a new gun in the $500 or less range. I was planning on a new S&W 642 for the carry rotation as my first revolver, but I saw a friend of mine selling a Taurus 608.

I have no real personal experience with revolvers, other then maybe a box of ammo through a friends old Smith, and a round or two through a big .44 Mag at the range.

Would this revolver be a good first revolver? Mainly just as something to target shoot with at the range. He is asking $550, but I'd probably offer $500.

I picked up a Taurus model 669 in .357 Magnum back in the 90's. My brother purchased an identical revolver on the same day that I bought mine, 3 serials lower than mine. He had nothing but problems with it, sent it back to Taurus for repairs 3 times and finally sold it. He never even got 50 rounds through it. I know several people with similar stories. I've ran thousands of rounds through mine without a single problem though, and I still take it to the range every time I go. I'll never buy another Taurus, but I will enjoy the one I own for as long as it holds together. It's strictly a range gun, and will never be the gun I'll count on to protect my family.

My understanding is that Taurus quality is hit-or-miss. Has your friend put a lot of rounds through it? Has he had any problems with it? It might be one of the good ones. If I were you though, I'd have a lot more confidence in the Smith, and when it comes to protecting your life and the lives of your loved ones, you need to be confident that it's going to work when you need it most.

No huge fan of Taurus, will never buy another because they are a foreign company. Before I wised up on where to spend my money I did buy a few. I found Taurus Revolvers to work well.
    I have a 669 that has been around a long time, it has killed more than a few Deer.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I've had 11 Taurus Revolvers. 2 had to be sent in for repair. 1 of the repairs was my falt. Both were repaired quickly. The 608 was a little too large for me. The 627 Tracker 7 shot 4" is easy to hanldle and fun for informal target shooting. I also carry it camping. I think the price is too high. I paid less than $400. But that was 5 to 8 years back. All my Taurus Revolvers have been accurate and all have had smooth actions. My 617 is a 2" 7 shot DAO Snub. The action is very smoth and and handles 357 with no problem. It's in my carry rotation. I also have a 605. It is a stainless 2" 357. The action is so smooth and single action is so light that you would think a Smith worked on it. I have no complaints about Taurus Revolvers.

Distinguished Member
    I have not had the 608 but I have had a few other Taurus revolvers over the years. I've never had an issue with any of them. I've always compared them to some of the big names my buddies were shooting and for me they shot just as well and at the time the cost was a bit less.
    Haywood likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I'd rather just get a J frame that I could actually use for carry instead of a revolver that could possibly be hit or miss.

Thanks for the info, it is right along with the research I did on my own.

Anywhere between $500 and $550 would be a fair price for the 8" model. Lifetime warranty on all Taurus. Biggest issue is whether it "fits" your hand. If it doesn't feel natural, then don't buy it.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Links