Help me choose my new carry weapon

This is a discussion on Help me choose my new carry weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had originally purchased an M&P Shield 9mm for my daily carry, but less than 24-hours after I brought it home the wife saw it ...

View Poll Results: Which "Tiny Niney" would YOU choose

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walther PPS

27 20.45%
  • Kahr PM9

19 14.39%
  • Sig P938

31 23.48%
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE

55 41.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Help me choose my new carry weapon

Hugh_Jorgan

I had originally purchased an M&P Shield 9mm for my daily carry, but less than 24-hours after I brought it home the wife saw it and commandeered it for HER personal defense weapon. And that's fine...it was a great price, but thats about the only reason I bought it...it didn't make my heart skip a beat like the Kimber Solo Carry did. But now I need to buy myself another carry weapon. I know this is probably going to sound odd, but even though I really like the Shield (for the price) I do NOT want two of the same weapon in the family, as I may get the Shield back someday because the wife has found a gun in pink she likes better (I'm kidding, but not really...sigh ).

Here is what I'm looking at (ALL in 9mm)...

• Walther PPS ~ (found ONE at $525)
    • Kahr PM9 ~ (found three, priced between $600 - $700)
    • Sig Sauer P938 ~ (found two ["Nightmare" & "Blackwood"] at $640/each)

I have not had an opportunity to shoot any of these weapons...but I've purchased every weapon I own (save for the Shield) PRIOR to shooting and have never regretted a single purchase. I find that I can readily adapt to any firearm with some practice at the range. Well, I say that because I have YET to buy a weapon that I absolutely couldn't shoot or hated shooting (knock on wood). Also, I dont have a preferred carry method...I will pocket-carry or holster depending on what I'm wearing, so minute differences in size will not matter much to me. I'm primarily concerned with reliability, functionality and accuracy (the last one being somewhat subjective).

I'm leaning toward the Walther because of price (and because James Bond choose Walther, so its GOTTA be cool...right?), but I would really like feedback from owners about pros and cons of each weapon. And if anyone out there happens to own (or has owned) all three, I would REALLY appreciate which one, if any, you thought was an overall winner.

Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I chose the Sig,sorry that I can't compare all three. The Sig is a nice little shooter, I usually hate the tiny nines but I chose the Sig with the houge rubber grips and 7 rd mag. Gives me a nice full grip. The Sig comes in many different configurations, one to suit just about anyone. I haven't had it long but it has ran everything I put through it. Oh btw don't let the wife shoot it,you might be back to the shield if you do....
    gatorbait51 and redbirddog5 like this.

Just Based on reputation I would go with the SIG. It seems to be on a lot of YouTube Bloggers must have, when SHTF lists.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Distinguished Member
    From everything I've read and seen on these the SIG is the one I chose.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    All of the above
    Eric357 and gatorbait51 like this.

Had to vote NOTA, as I would choose another platform.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Alright, I have owned the kahr cm9(same as pm9 just cheaper less fancy version), shot the p938, and own the pps.

Kahr has a pretty awesome trigger, not as good as the solo, but still really nice. I happen to like kahr a lot, but for me dot care much for their polymer line. The pm/cm is nice and compact and really disappears, but I didn't enjoy shooting it. My trigger finger would get rubbed really bad after every shot, and doesn't handle recoil as well as others in it's size. So I sold it. For me I need to enjoy shooting my gun, otherwise I won't.

The sig is really hard to beat. It's extremely small, probably the smallest 9 out there next to the nano. Light weight, can fit into a pocket, and has a pinky ext mag with room for all 3 fingers. Buts it's entirely different than the others since it a 1911 style. Single action trigger, carrying cocked and locked. Since the trigger is single action it's not too hard to be accurate. Among being a good looking gun, it was also fun to shoot and easy to carry. Never bought one though because couldn't ever find one at a decent price. But it's hard to beat the p938 when it comes to size and shootability.

Walther pps. This gun I own currently, and have zero plans on getting rid of. I have also owned many others and this one is my favorite for single stack 9's. It's the same size as the shield, has 3 sizes for mags, has the lever mag release which I really like, also has a rail for a laser or light. This gun is a fantastic shooter. When you hold it, it feels like your holding a full size gun, it points like a full size, and it shoots like a full size. This gun puts others to shame when it comes to accuracy, not saying all the others aren't accurate, but this is stupid easy accuracy. Everything you point at you hit. The trigger is amazing, glock like and very predictable. Gets smoother and better the more you shoot. Handles recoil very well, follow up shots are easy. I put a set of talon grips on mine and love it. It's definitely the all around best edc piece for me. BUT it's not a pocket gun if that's what your after. Also the accessory market isn't that great. But what a fine quality weapon that inspires confidence and is a joy to shoot.

Also want to add that the baretta nano was surprisingly a really nice gun. I like that gun a lot more than my kahr cm9. Trigger is heavier but still smooth. Was easy to be accurate, and handle recoil very well. Same size and price as the kahr cm9. Could probably be picked up for under $400. I wouldn't mind owning one of those just because it's cheap and super small.

Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I personally would choose a Glock 26 or Glock 19. However, you should go shoot and handle the pistols you listed and go from there based on what YOU like.
    walker2713 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I've read of reports on the SIG-Sauer boards of new 938's going back to SIG-Sauer for service. Not something I would want to do right after bringing it home.

Walther PPS is my choice. Try one, you won't regret it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Yes, there have been some reports at SigTalk about some 938's having to go back to the factory, same as every brand out there.

I love mine, it shoots like a much larger pistol and is super easy to conceal. No problems at all even with cheap range ammo and some real crap steel cased. $640 is not a bad price either. I see them for less on Slick Guns if you are not as picky about which model.

I didn't vote because I don't think it is a valid way to determine what best meets the OP needs. I have both the Kahr and the Sig. OP needs to determine if he is comfortable with pocket carry on a 1911 style SAO in condition 1. Personally, I am not. That is why I carry the Kahr pocket carry in either a DeSantis Super Fly front pocket or a Braids Holsters wallet style rear pocket. The Sig shoots better as a range pistol, but since this is for defensive carry I am less concerned with pumping lots of rounds down range than I am with comfort and concealability. For IWB/OWB I would carry the Sig as I love shooting it and I am comfortable with it in condition 1 on my waist. The Sig comes with a kydex OWB holster. However, for IWB carry, I normally carry a Sig 1911 Ultra Compact in .45.

If the OP is comfortable carrying a SAO cocked and locked in a pocket, I'd go with the Sig. If not, I'd go with the Kahr.

As for the Walther, I have not shot nor do I own the PPS. But I do own a Walther P22, and if it is any indication of the other Walther pistols, I would not buy the PPS.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I've shot all that you have listed. And the one that I carry is the Walther PPS. For me it's the best shooting gun out of all that I have owned and shot in the CC sized guns. It's surprisingly very accurate and easy to put on target. I actually like the mag release on it and wish that more manufacturers had this type of mag release. It's a more natural action than a normal mag release button. Just take some getting used to though. I have probably 1500 rounds through my 9mm PPS cary gun and it's never failed me.

In the end it's up to what feels right and good for you. Find someone that has the guns and shoot them. I don't like having to learn to use a gun if I am going to use it for CC. It has to be one that feels the most natural and one I can put on target without much training and practice. Not saying that you should not practice. Just that the most natural feeling gun is one that you will most likely fire the best in a stressful situation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I would get a Ruger SR9c, but that is ME and that is the key point to this, ME. No one can tell you what is the right firearm for you to carry, we are all different and will like different things.

Find a gun store/range in which you can try out each of the firearms and find out which one works best for YOU!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    No one can tell you what is the right firearm for you to carry, we are all different and will like different things.

Find a gun store/range in which you can try out each of the firearms and find out which one works best for YOU!!!
    Good advice.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Sig p938. Mine is new (early March) & has been 100% reliable. Shoots everything I put in it. Approx. 600 rounds of 7-8 different brands of range ammo & Hornady CD. No hiccups with a newbie shooting & maintaining 1st firearm. Have shot the PPS, and it's nice pistol too, but the best one is a personal decision. Try to shoot them all.
    MMinSC, gatorbait51 and Buckman60 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links