Defensive Carry banner

Have a dilemma, sell the P229?

2K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  zerosoma 
#1 · (Edited)
OK here is my issue.

My EDC is a SP101 2.25" along with a speed loader. My only gripe is the low capacity and relatively slow reload (compared to a semi).

There are days when I would "feel" more comfortable having a semi with a larger capacity with an extra mag that could be changed quickly and the lighter weight would be a bonuse.

I have a Sig P229 9mm that I love to shoot but because its so dang heavy I literally never carry it, in fact when I go to the property to shoot, hog hunt or whatever, the P229 stays at home because I dont feel like lugging it around. BTW, when I go to the property I'm carrying my AR15 and usually my 22/45, or if its one gun, my GP100. Wouldnt hog hunt with a 9mm.

To fill the role of a semi with more capacity over my SP101 I'm considering selling the P229 and buying a M&P Shield in 9mm.

What says the hive? Before anyone says "keep the Sig and buy the shield", I'm transitioning to a new job and will be awhile before I have a steady income so I will need to sell one to fund the other. Also, I am a revolver guy at heart and while I like Sigs, I'm not attached to this particular model, I have a sweet P225 that I restored last year! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
USA or W german ?

USA made yeah .. W German ..well not a w german anymore is there ...

I assum you have fired takend down etc the shild and now you liked it ... The price 9mm 229 are going for now is a bit higher then blue book I must say so it might be hard to replace it down the road

Reactions: gatorbait51
#3 ·
What kind of holster/belt are you using for the Sig? I just don't see the Shield being a very good answer to the problem you state of more capacity over the SP101; sure it's got more ammo than a 5 shot revo, but not a huge gain and you are stepping down from .357 to 9mm.

Before I went to a G23 I carried a Sig P229 in .40 all the time. It is a thicker, heavier gun, but you gain shootability. I carried mine AIWB and it wasn't an issue.

#4 ·
Yeah 1000% this your not gaining much with a shield over a double stack gun .... Never mind going from 357 mag to 9mm .... A 226 yeah I could see that being tricky to carry but the 229 is the compact version .... I mean you want a throw in your pants gun you can get a p3at etc for like 180 otd these days if you look ... I rather have a wheel gun a double stack owb gun and a pocket gun then the shielfd wheel combo ... Shild was never a pocket gun iwb maybe

#7 ·
Also, I'm a t-shirt kind of guy and the Sig doesn't hide well (OWB) under a t-shirt. I can make the SP101 disappear. I guess I just never really got used to carrying a heavy gun on my hips.

#8 ·
BTW, I'm thinking Shield because if I were to go to a double stack 9mm that I wouldn't be far removed from just carrying the P229. Sure a G19 is alot lighter but the thickness is what makes a difference. And yes, I've shot a shield and it was alright, not nice like the P229 though.

#9 ·
You though about a p11 keltec ? I know the rep they have but other being a pain to put together I liked the one I had .. I mean the mags hold 12 roudns and you can pocket carry it .. And you can use 20 round 59 mags in it ... I was able to get it into jeans pockerts no worrie ...

Also note for me comeing from sigs/glocks etc the shild was a hugh pain to take down for me .. Gave up and sold it ( yeah I know ) I just dont have time for pita guns

#10 ·
I had a 9mm P-229 that I sold because I needed the money. Been sorry ever since. I'm 5'7", 160 pounds, and 69 years old, and while I notice the weight of my P-229/.357SIG and it's two spare magazines, I don't find it hard to carry. How does the weight of the Sig compare with that of your Ruger SP? Seems to me the Sig shouldn't be that much more. My suggestion: carry the Sig OWB at 4:30, and ADD suspenders to your belt to help support the weight.

#12 ·
You and I are about the same size and the Sig fully loaded is quite abit heavier then the SP101. Maybe if I try to offset the weight by carrying an extra mag or two on the other side. I've tried many different options and while I can make some work, and I do at times, I just cannot get comfortable.

#13 ·
Since you're a revolver guy, how about this: Sell your 229, and buy a used 2" S&W 64 AND a Shield - and you'll just about break even if you're an astute shopper.

The M64 gives you 20% more firepower than your SP101 with a tiny increase in bulk. If you can make your SP101 "disappear," a K-frame snub shouldn't be a challenge.

Heaven forbid you should carry a 1911 if you find the 229 "so dang heavy!"

#15 ·
Best suggestion I've seen.

If you don't like the P229--and sounds like you really don't--then get rid of it and get something you do. I've lost track of how many guns I've traded/sold, and to be honest--there only a very few that I wish I hadn't...and even fewer that I've either bought back or replaced with an identical model.

If you decide down the road that you miss your P229...it's not like it's a rare pistol, and you'll never find another one. It can be easily replaced.

Reactions: Hulley
#16 ·
I think you may regret selling a Sig. I would fee fine with 5 rounds of.357 personally. If you feel you need more, why not a $200 pocket .380 to carry in addition to the revolver? Instead of carrying a speedloader you could have 7 rounds of 380 for backup. Some sacrifices can be made pretty easily for the extra $200.

#18 ·
The weight of the Sig 229 is all in your mind. yes it's heavier but it's well worth it. All steel with a 15 rd magazine and a 20 rd mag from my P226 TacOps for a spare.

My personal policy is that I will never get rid of any of my Sigs ever again.

#19 ·
From what I'm reading and working out in my head is, maybe I should keep the Sig for now seeing as I have a EDC set-up that works for me and just try different carry options for the P229 until I've found something that works. Plus by then I just may have the money to keep the Sig and buy another firearm later. I have no problem selling crappy guns or guns that I just plain didn't like but the P229 is neither of those, it just does not get used much.

#21 ·
Another item to consider on the P229 is does it have a short extractor?

With Sig now going to the MIM long extractor, and plenty of people have had issues with that part, as others haven't. If you have a short extractor P229 you won't be able to replace it later with a new production gun, you will have to find something used and in the condition you want later. I prefer the original design to the one made to cost saving measures, that ironically still sells for the same price.

Also is it a railed model? The original frame made sans the light rail gets a premium in some circles, it sure is good looking.
What year is your Sig P229?

#24 ·
I only sell guns I don't want. With as many guns as you have, I don't see a problem keeping the P229 and buying another gun more suited to your needs.

#25 ·
Well, if you'd still use the 229 for home defense or whatever, it's probably best to keep it. But, if you really have no use for it whatsoever, that's a lot of money to keep tied up. How about this: trade/sell the 229 towards a Smith Airweight J-frame (637, 642, etc) AND a Glock 19? Then your "added capacity" for your SP101 is the J-frame carried in a pocket or ankle holster. Your 9mm needs would be filled by the G19 (or maybe an M&P). You'd probably have to pay in a bit, but not much.

The thing to avoid, IMHO, is trading a gun that holds its value (like pretty much any Sig) towards guns that don't so well. Glocks and Smiths hold value pretty well.

#28 ·
Right now the 229 is on my nightstand with a light on the rail. Its a great home defense gun but I have other options for that as well. I would like to get a G19 one day but the whole idea behind this thread is to sell the 229 in favor of replacing it with something as easy to carry as my SP101 but has more capacity.

I think I'll hang on to the 229 for now and keep doing what I've been doing, carry the SP101 with a speed load.

#26 ·
OP, it sounds like you're not too attached to your 229. If this is the case, then sell it or trade it and get what you want.

Have you considered carrying your 225? Sure it's a single stack 9mm and has 8 rounds total but it'll put you on the road towards where you're wanting to be. Carry a second magazine and life will be good. I carried a P6 (very similar to the 225) for a few years until I got a S&W M&P9c... 4 more rounds in a slightly more concealable pistol. The only thing I'd like to get to make it the perfect gun for me to CCW is a better holster. If it comes down to it and I feel the need for a larger caliber, I break out the P6's bigger brother P220 and carry it.

#27 ·
How much heavier is the 229 than the 2340?

I carry IWB one a lot and its not really a chore, other than if I was going to a place where I had to be in a suit and tie.
If I am out in the woods running around, if I didn't have a DW 15-2 VH 6 in .357 mag on me, I would have the 2340 which is .357 Sig.

I don't think you are getting creative enough with carrying the 229

#30 ·
By all means keep the sig fella, save for the shield and just carry your ruger for the time being. It's what I carry with flat point 357's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.