Have a dilemma, sell the P229?

This is a discussion on Have a dilemma, sell the P229? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK here is my issue. My EDC is a SP101 2.25" along with a speed loader. My only gripe is the low capacity and relatively ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Have a dilemma, sell the P229?

OK here is my issue.

My EDC is a SP101 2.25" along with a speed loader. My only gripe is the low capacity and relatively slow reload (compared to a semi).

There are days when I would "feel" more comfortable having a semi with a larger capacity with an extra mag that could be changed quickly and the lighter weight would be a bonuse.

I have a Sig P229 9mm that I love to shoot but because its so dang heavy I literally never carry it, in fact when I go to the property to shoot, hog hunt or whatever, the P229 stays at home because I dont feel like lugging it around. BTW, when I go to the property I'm carrying my AR15 and usually my 22/45, or if its one gun, my GP100. Wouldnt hog hunt with a 9mm.

To fill the role of a semi with more capacity over my SP101 I'm considering selling the P229 and buying a M&P Shield in 9mm.

What says the hive? Before anyone says "keep the Sig and buy the shield", I'm transitioning to a new job and will be awhile before I have a steady income so I will need to sell one to fund the other. Also, I am a revolver guy at heart and while I like Sigs, I'm not attached to this particular model, I have a sweet P225 that I restored last year! :)
    Last edited by Hulley; April 19th, 2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

USA or W german ?

USA made yeah .. W German ..well not a w german anymore is there ...

I assum you have fired takend down etc the shild and now you liked it ... The price 9mm 229 are going for now is a bit higher then blue book I must say so it might be hard to replace it down the road
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

What kind of holster/belt are you using for the Sig? I just don't see the Shield being a very good answer to the problem you state of more capacity over the SP101; sure it's got more ammo than a 5 shot revo, but not a huge gain and you are stepping down from .357 to 9mm.

Before I went to a G23 I carried a Sig P229 in .40 all the time. It is a thicker, heavier gun, but you gain shootability. I carried mine AIWB and it wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    What kind of holster/belt are you using for the Sig? I just don't see the Shield being a very good answer to the problem you state of more capacity over the SP101; sure it's got more ammo than a 5 shot revo, but not a huge gain and you are stepping down from .357 to 9mm.

Before I went to a G23 I carried a Sig P229 in .40 all the time. It is a thicker, heavier gun, but you gain shootability. I carried mine AIWB and it wasn't an issue.
    Yeah 1000% this your not gaining much with a shield over a double stack gun .... Never mind going from 357 mag to 9mm .... A 226 yeah I could see that being tricky to carry but the 229 is the compact version .... I mean you want a throw in your pants gun you can get a p3at etc for like 180 otd these days if you look ... I rather have a wheel gun a double stack owb gun and a pocket gun then the shielfd wheel combo ... Shild was never a pocket gun iwb maybe
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    USA or W german ?

USA made yeah .. W German ..well not a w german anymore is there ...

I assum you have fired takend down etc the shild and now you liked it ... The price 9mm 229 are going for now is a bit higher then blue book I must say so it might be hard to replace it down the road
    USA, would not be concerned with replacing it later.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

An actual gun belt with an OWB holster. Not big on stepping down either TBH. When I carry the SP101 its AIWB or OWB at 3:30, very comfortable. I just cannot get comfortable carrying the P229 AIWB. The shield would be 8+1 and a 7round in pocket, 16 total rounds.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Also, I'm a t-shirt kind of guy and the Sig doesn't hide well (OWB) under a t-shirt. I can make the SP101 disappear. I guess I just never really got used to carrying a heavy gun on my hips.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

BTW, I'm thinking Shield because if I were to go to a double stack 9mm that I wouldn't be far removed from just carrying the P229. Sure a G19 is alot lighter but the thickness is what makes a difference. And yes, I've shot a shield and it was alright, not nice like the P229 though.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    BTW, I'm thinking Shield because if I were to go to a double stack 9mm that I wouldn't be far removed from just carrying the P229. Sure a G19 is alot lighter but the thickness is what makes a difference. And yes, I've shot a shield and it was alright, not nice like the P229 though.
    You though about a p11 keltec ? I know the rep they have but other being a pain to put together I liked the one I had .. I mean the mags hold 12 roudns and you can pocket carry it .. And you can use 20 round 59 mags in it ... I was able to get it into jeans pockerts no worrie ...

Also note for me comeing from sigs/glocks etc the shild was a hugh pain to take down for me .. Gave up and sold it ( yeah I know ) I just dont have time for pita guns
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I had a 9mm P-229 that I sold because I needed the money. Been sorry ever since. I'm 5'7", 160 pounds, and 69 years old, and while I notice the weight of my P-229/.357SIG and it's two spare magazines, I don't find it hard to carry. How does the weight of the Sig compare with that of your Ruger SP? Seems to me the Sig shouldn't be that much more. My suggestion: carry the Sig OWB at 4:30, and ADD suspenders to your belt to help support the weight.

Absolutely this. I EDC my 229 and have no issues. I have a SHTF holster and pretty decent belt. Carry it at about 4-430. I'd look into the rig before deciding to sell. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
    -Kyle
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    I had a 9mm P-229 that I sold because I needed the money. Been sorry ever since. I'm 5'7", 160 pounds, and 69 years old, and while I notice the weight of my P-229/.357SIG and it's two spare magazines, I don't find it hard to carry. How does the weight of the Sig compare with that of your Ruger SP? Seems to me the Sig shouldn't be that much more. My suggestion: carry the Sig OWB at 4:30, and ADD suspenders to your belt to help support the weight.
    You and I are about the same size and the Sig fully loaded is quite abit heavier then the SP101. Maybe if I try to offset the weight by carrying an extra mag or two on the other side. I've tried many different options and while I can make some work, and I do at times, I just cannot get comfortable.

Since you're a revolver guy, how about this: Sell your 229, and buy a used 2" S&W 64 AND a Shield - and you'll just about break even if you're an astute shopper.

The M64 gives you 20% more firepower than your SP101 with a tiny increase in bulk. If you can make your SP101 "disappear," a K-frame snub shouldn't be a challenge.

Heaven forbid you should carry a 1911 if you find the 229 "so dang heavy!"
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    You and I are about the same size and the Sig fully loaded is quite abit heavier then the SP101. Maybe if I try to offset the weight by carrying an extra mag or two on the other side. I've tried many different options and while I can make some work, and I do at times, I just cannot get comfortable.

I believe it was Clint Smith who said that carrying a gun wasn't supposed to be comfortable, but comforting! I know it's not that simple, and if it's too uncomfortable, we might not carry. My question is, would you feel as well armed with a smaller pistol as you do with your SP? If so, go for it.

Personally, I would not be so quick to reject the idea of a second Shield. Having you and your wife carrying identical pistols has several advantages, such as weapon familiarity, and the ability to exchange magazines if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Since you're a revolver guy, how about this: Sell your 229, and buy a used 2" S&W 64 AND a Shield - and you'll just about break even if you're an astute shopper.

The M64 gives you 20% more firepower than your SP101 with a tiny increase in bulk. If you can make your SP101 "disappear," a K-frame snub shouldn't be a challenge.

Heaven forbid you should carry a 1911 if you find the 229 "so dang heavy!"
    Best suggestion I've seen.

If you don't like the P229--and sounds like you really don't--then get rid of it and get something you do. I've lost track of how many guns I've traded/sold, and to be honest--there only a very few that I wish I hadn't...and even fewer that I've either bought back or replaced with an identical model.

If you decide down the road that you miss your P229...it's not like it's a rare pistol, and you'll never find another one. It can be easily replaced.
    Hulley likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links