Enjoying my revolver much more than my semi auto

This is a discussion on Enjoying my revolver much more than my semi auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my XD9 for 5 or 6 yrs and put 4-5,000 rounds thru it. Its never lets me down. I shoot it well and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Enjoying my revolver much more than my semi auto

Enjoying my revolver much more than my semi auto

I've had my XD9 for 5 or 6 yrs and put 4-5,000 rounds thru it. Its never lets me down. I shoot it well and its my EDC, but its taking second place to my GP100 (6").
    Went shooting this weekend and only put 1/2 a mag thru the XD. Shot over 100 rounds w/ the Ruger. I love shooting that thing. Single action, double action, 38 spl plinker loads, 357 hot loads, speedloader reloads - I love it all. I'm gearing up my reloading capabilities so I can continue to shoot it more.

Continuous carry of the GP100 is out of the question for me. Its like having a small car on your hip. Although, I do love the limited times when I do carry it. Makes me think of a 3 or 4" GP100 for EDC.

Hope my XD doesn't start to feeling neglected.

Whats with this revolver?? - Its awesome.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Your on a dangerous slope my friend, soon the wheel guns will be multiplying. Once you get to the snubs you will never look back an polymer will be a distant memory

I hear ya'...I'm a Glock guy, but I thoroughly enjoy my Ruger SP101 (the GP's kissin' cousin)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You uh seen how many j frames I been picking up ..Never mind the 686 ... Yeah I got wheel guns bad man ...

Maybe a LCRX for carry

and yeah the ruger is a great sweet shooter ... Heavy and well built oh so very nice
    gatorbait51 and mook012 like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

3" and 4" N-frame Smith 625's are in my EDC rotation, as is a 2.5" K-frame 66. All carried OWB at 4:30. IWB is possible - you just need larger waisted pants.
    wheelyfun101 likes this.

Love me some wheely action! I've got quite a few on the "List"!
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

They're pretty too!!! Just sayin'............

GP100.jpg
    gen3, Eric357, Ceapea and 1 others like this.

For over a decade I kept a 4" GP 100 SS in my desk at the office. I sold it last year.

The gun was virtually mint, functioned flawlessly, zero complaints about it, other than I have other guns that I would rather depend on more, should it be crunch time, and it was just too darn big. And heavy.

Granted, SS adds more weight, but the thing was a cannon. My 40s felt small next to that. I have my doubts about how much you would like carrying a 4" version, either.

Now for a snake gun, or woods gun, it rocks. Carry....whew!

Revolvers have always been my favorite. I have several but, I have four favorite Snubs for carry. I rotate Two at a time for every day carry. A 617- 7 Shot Taurus, SP101 Ruger, LCR357 Ruger, and a S&W442.

About 3 or 4 years ago I got my first revolver. Since then the wheelie collection has multiplied and my semi auto collection has shrunk. I am just not interested in getting any new semi autos. I've got my bases covered from micro LCP to full size hi cap 9 and so on with the few semis I have kept. I used to think every gun guy should have a 1911 but though I like the design and think they're great guns, I no longer have any interest in a 1911 for my collection.

I think if you can shoot a DA revolver well you can shoot dang near any handgun with proficiency. I have started reloading and not having to bend over to pick up shell cases is a huge plus. Revolvers shoot the most powerful handgun cartridges out there if you like the wow/recoil factor. Revolvers are more reliable.

Revolvers rule and bottom feeders drool.
    Sleepnheat likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    SP101 all the way! 2 1/4" snubby in .357

Usually carry a full sized 1911, but the SP101 has actually become my EDC go to.
    Eric357 and oldnfat like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    Love me some wheely action! I've got quite a few on the "List"!
    I'll bet all you wheelie guys had one of those trike Big Wheels when y'all was little huh?
    Hulley likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    About 3 or 4 years ago I got my first revolver. Since then the wheelie collection has multiplied and my semi auto collection has shrunk. I am just not interested in getting any new semi autos. I've got my bases covered from micro LCP to full size hi cap 9 and so on with the few semis I have kept. I used to think every gun guy should have a 1911 but though I like the design and think they're great guns, I no longer have any interest in a 1911 for my collection.

I think if you can shoot a DA revolver well you can shoot dang near any handgun with proficiency. I have started reloading and not having to bend over to pick up shell cases is a huge plus. Revolvers shoot the most powerful handgun cartridges out there if you like the wow/recoil factor. Revolvers are more reliable.

Revolvers rule and bottom feeders drool.
    Dude..you need cycle therapy.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    [QUOTE=WrongRecroom;3225262]You uh seen how many j frames I been picking up ..Never mind the 686 [QUOTE]

Ah yes, Another savvy investor....
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I'm finding that revolvers draw better from the pocket, and conceal better on the hip - due to the curved backstrap. Carrying a backup resolves issues with capacity and reload speed. I'm on the hunt for a 3 inch SP101...but there are no semi autos out there that call to me as of late.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links