The one that got away, came back.

This is a discussion on The one that got away, came back. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever have a gun that you sold or traded and then regretted it? I have, many times, and then bought the same model over and ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By than137

Thread: The one that got away, came back.

Distinguished Member

Ever have a gun that you sold or traded and then regretted it? I have, many times, and then bought the same model over and over again, but never the same gun that I had owned. Two years ago, I traded in my HK P2000SK, which shot any ammo I feed it without a single jam. I had added two HK P2000 13 round mags with grip extensions to it plus replaced the small magazine release paddle with a larger one used on an HK 45. I find it easier to press the release with my trigger finger than the normal way on US guns.

I had a nice MTAC holster that made carrying it easy and I also enjoyed shooting it. Then I saw a must have gun that was on my bucket list that I just had to buy but it was expensive and I needed to sell off an expensive gun to pay for it. I said goodbye to my HK P2000Sk and bought my new must have gun. I immediately had sellers remorse but am happy to say that I have bought and shot every gun in my bucket list and then some. :)

Two years passed and I missed the gun and then during my monthly call to my LGS, I was told that they got in trade, a HK P2000SK. After asking a few questions, I knew it was my old gun and I immediately ran out to buy it back. I still had the MTAC holster thanks to the ability to just buy the Kydex shell for each gun rather than a whole new holster. I have traded and sold many guns over the course of the last 4 decades but this is the first time that I found and bought a gun that I owned and wished that I could get back. I am happy, especially since I also came home with a new HK USP 9mm to keep it company. I am a sucker for Sig, HK and J-frame guns. They are the only guns I own, trust and enjoy having.

Has this happened to you? Have you sold a gun only to buy it back again?
    AK_Brian, grouse, than137 and 4 others like this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Now get that fella out for some reunion shooting!

Never bought one back, but I did run across a Calico Arms Co. 9mm carbine that I had traded out almost a decade ago.

Distinguished Member
    I've never bought one back but like you there are probably 3 that I sure wish I'd kept.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Lassie came home! Stories like that can make a guy kinda misty.....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nope. What I've sold has stayed gone. If I thought I might regret it, it wasn't sold.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Pretty sure I won't ever be parting with this one . I've sold off a few that I've regretted, but so far I've never had one that I regretted so much that I repurchased.
    kahrcarrier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Has this happened to you? Have you sold a gun only to buy it back again?
    No.

Kept my eye open for one particular one, for years. Never did see it again. And this was in a smaller community. I had figured it'd pop up at some point. Went elsewhere, I'm sure. Bummer, since it was the most-accurate pistol I have ever owned (a Browning BDM 9mm with multiple tens of thousands of rounds through it). Felt like an extension of my own hand. Quite literally, it was "point and shoot" and could drive nails.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S&W model 39-2

Bought it around 1988 or so, from a friend who was a police officer, who bought it used from a friend/colleague .

It was a workhorse by them, and I had it for 20+ years, then sold it to a guy I worked with for $200.
    He added three mags to it, and had it for two years. My nephew was bummed as he told me he loved that gun, as it was the pistol that sparked his love of shooting and handguns. I had a 6906 the co worker really wanted, and I was really somehow missing the 39, so he traded me the 39-2 back + $180.
    It will be in the family forever.
    My nephew is glad I got it back, and asked one time if he could have it when I am gone, and as he is my Godson, I naturally told him yes.

Every now and then monkeys fall out of trees.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Yeah. You just made me depressed.

Distinguished Member
    Looks exactly like my setup except that I have the flat baseplate on both mags.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Please dont get me started .... Too much for me to count of guns I wish I had not sold ...Hey it could be worst and it could be CA were you could never got some guns back
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Links