just purchased a Jimenez .25

This is a discussion on just purchased a Jimenez .25 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a beginner. I just purchased a Jimenez .25. I know very little about guns. I bought it just for range time not to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: just purchased a Jimenez .25

Question just purchased a Jimenez .25

I am a beginner. I just purchased a Jimenez .25. I know very little about guns. I bought it just for range time not to carry for S.D. I don't know a whole lot, but I do know Jimenez is a name I never heard of. I have not hit the range yet with it. I have read a lot of negative information, but those post are out dated. So I'm hoping there are some current Jimenez holders out there. Open to any feedback... Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I really wish I could say congratulations, but Jimenez is pretty low on the food chain. They aren't the most reliable or well built pistols out there that's for sure. It's great that you are getting started, but definitely start to plan for an upgrade.

I try not to rag on anything without offering some options. Tell us what sort of shooting you do, what kind of budget you have, how and when you plan to carry (do you have a permit yet?). Once you give us some specifics, the suggestions will start to fly. Lots of great info on here.

My opinion? Trade out of that Jimenez! Just about anything you replace it with will be a step up. Even brass knuckles.

I wouldn't trust the POS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While none of the Ring of Fire manufactures produce guns that win any reliability or quality awards, owning a saturday night special is kind of fun. Like getting a fake Rolex. Shoot the crap out of it and have fun.

There are videos out there showing how to polish and deburr your new Pistol.
    Jimenez , unfortunately, are not well made and most seem to have issues.
    I hope you can save up and get something with a better reliability record.
    Now it is possible that you have a good one. Let's hope!

It will make a nice project.
    lisive and AmmoFan01 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I wouldn't trust the POS
    Any questions?
    Taurahe and shadowwalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lisive View Post
    I am a beginner. I just purchased a Jimenez .25. I know very little about guns. I bought it just for range time not to carry for S.D. I don't know a whole lot, but I do know Jimenez is a name I never heard of. I have not hit the range yet with it. I have read a lot of negative information, but those post are out dated. So I'm hoping there are some current Jimenez holders out there. Open to any feedback... Thanks
    As long as its a range gun only it really doesnt matter. The targets wont feed it to you when it fails. I would never ever carry one or even a .25 in any make as a primary for SD. JMO
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'd say what you have there is a learning gun that, if it proves reliable, will later make a good hideout/backup gun. And if it's not reliable, then you'll get more practice clearing feed jams and so on. You can't lose, as long as you recognize that it has to be reliable if you use it for SD - which you seem to.

I always recommend the Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, by Massad Ayoob. You can't go too far wrong if you follow his advice.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I second the suggestion to buy Massad's book. Wal-Mart carries it. I use it in my classes, and I've trained with him - my copy is signed! LOL

Welcome to the forum. I hope the truth doesn't make you feel bad about your new gun, but what the others are saying is true. It is a less than desirable gun.

That's OK - we all have to learn. I happen to own one of the early Jennings .22's from the early 1970's (Jennings became Jimenez) It was one of my first guns too. Total piece of junk. I've kept it all these years and now it's worth about 4 times what I paid! LOL I also keep it to show students what not to buy, along with derringers, NAA .22's, etc.

So, you've got the gun. Go shoot it. You will find .25 ammo is often hard to find and expensive when you do. But that's OK. It also has a very short barrel, which will make hitting anything beyond about 25 feet difficult.

So now you know what not to buy. Now let's get you into a gun that will last and possibly save your life.

Please before you buy any more guns, study in forums like this, go to several gun stores and talk to different people, try out as many guns as you can. IF there is a rental range, rent some. Take some NRA classes. Go to NRAInstructors.org and you can search for classes in your area. Take at least Basic Pistol, best is the three class series through Personal Protection Outside the Home. Finish PPOTH and you will have a foundational skill set that may save your life and will give you the basics to pursue more advanced training. You will have the confidence and the COMPETENCE to safely and responsibly carry a gun.

Please don't buy anything under .38 or 9mm for personal protection.

Look at mainstream manufacturers:
    Ruger SR series
    Smith/Wesson M&P series
    Springfield XD/XDM avoid the XDS right now due to recall issues
    Glock - 19 is excellent starter gun and cops carry it. G30 in .45 for a larger caliber
    HK -pricy but possibly the top poly combat guns made
    FN - I like the FNX series, another top maker

Revolvers
    Smith
    Ruger
    Charter Arms - all are good.

Oh -and stay away from 1911's or else pretty soon you will be broke and still need "just one more..." :) :)

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Did someone recommend that to you ?

good luck,hope she works for ya

That gun is not quality partner. I'm not putting it down, but I would not want it for defensive use.

The bright sides are that one, you have a cheapie to play with at the range and something to compare a quality gun with.

And two, you have a cool key chain, or a useful fishing sinker if the pot metal cracks.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    No need to put down someone's purchase in a nasty way . I would just give the facts without having a mean spirit about it . IMHO . Always goggle or ask questions before you buy about any service or product .

Welcome to the site from Maryland
    Czombie, Onelung, lisive and 4 others like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Get rid of that thing and buy a Hi-Point!
    TheBigWanad likes this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Oh yea... welcome to the forum!
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

I would echo GunTeacher's post, as being the most constructive. Shoot what you have and learn gun safety. Use this as a learning opportunity and don't be afraid to ask, here, about different options. When you ask for, or advice, be ready to hear some really passionate replies that will undoubtedly be very direct, as we all have opinions and usually think ours is best.

Good luck and use these posts as the beginning of your firearm education.

ps; Walther's aren't bad, either.

pps: Welcome to the forum!
    lisive and AmmoFan01 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links