Glock 42... Do I buy?

This is a discussion on Glock 42... Do I buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have spent some time in the range with a few different .380 pistols and I have found the Glock 42 to be my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Glock 42... Do I buy?

Glock 42... Do I buy?

So I have spent some time in the range with a few different .380 pistols and I have found the Glock 42 to be my favorite of the .380 pistols i've shot under $500. The only issue I am having is, that it is not the smallest of the group. If you saw my most recent post, I have been looking for pocket size. I am going to be carrying IWB.

Who of you have the Glock 42? Do you like it? Was it worth spending a little more for? How are you carrying it? Pictures? I really do think I am going to purchase, I just don't want to regret it. I've shot over 100 rounds through one at the range. I am also concerned with the extra amount paid for ammo. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I am a Glock fan, and recently had the opportunity to handle a 42. The 42 is definitely a Glock. As for size, I usually carry a G27, however when it is hot or I want to pocket carry I carry a Kahr PM9. Weighing in at 14 oz. it is a great IWB or pocket gun, and 9mm is far more readily available, and cheaper, than .380.
    WMac19 likes this.

Wear cargo shorts an can throw it in my pocket easily. Feed everything very accurate easy to take down an clean love the G42
    WrongRecroom likes this.

To me and my big hands the selling point is it takes down like a glock ...A lot of the micro guns are not all that fun for me to take apart ..

I am probly getting one soon ..And will be running a lot of loads though it to see what happens... Looking foward to seeing
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Personally in that price range I would prefer a Smith J frame. They are quite easy to pocket carry. I pocket carry the 442.always. Are you wanting a semi automatic exclusively?
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If it meets your needs go for it. for me it is too big to pocket carry comfortably, so I carry an LCP, which has seen more carry time recently than I like to admit lol.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by cop154 View Post
    I am a Glock fan, and recently had the opportunity to handle a 42. The 42 is definitely a Glock. As for size, I usually carry a G27, however when it is hot or I want to pocket carry I carry a Kahr PM9. Weighing in at 14 oz. it is a great IWB or pocket gun, and 9mm is far more readily available, and cheaper, than .380.
    I was very surprised to learn the 42 was bigger than my PM9. If I were ever to get a .380, it would've been a Glock if it weren't for the size. Oh well...

No way I can pocket carry the PM9 in my winter attire but in NC for a few weeks, I've found it fits perfectly in the pockets of my Under Armour golf shorts. Good news as I have like 10 of them. Lol...

G42'S one sweet shooter though, I can see the attraction.

If your a .380 fan, I'd say go for it.

Good gun. I am a Glock man but the g42 is just to big for pocket carry. The kel tec p3at is the right size.
    Last edited by frankmako; April 19th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

No disrespect to those who like 380's.... But with all the quality subcompact 9mm's on the market, why bother? Just my $.02
    zonker1986 and AmmoFan01 like this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

No. I like the little 380 pocket pistols but I have not shot mine in a long while. The ammo is expensive and very limited these days

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

VIP Member
    Still trying to find one for sale in our area. If it fits my hands I'm not going to worry about it fitting in my pockets!

My main concern is what to call it if I get it. My G26 is my Baby Glock. I suppose a 42 would have to be my "Glockette"????
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I am sorta with old grunt on this one, not necessarily to bash .380 but the OP said he wants to carry IWB. If you were definitely going to pocket carry, then I could see going with a small .380. Since IWB is going to be the carry method, then why not go with a 9mm?
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    I am sorta with old grunt on this one, not necessarily to bash .380 but the OP said he wants to carry IWB. If you were definitely going to pocket carry, then I could see going with a small .380. Since IWB is going to be the carry method, then why not go with a 9mm?
    IMO .380 ACP is good for target practice, but I don't recommend anything smaller than 9mm or 38 spl for SD. Most of the time .380 is more pricey than 9mm. I realize the OP wants a G42, I would recommend the G26 instead.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    No disrespect to those who like 380's.... But with all the quality subcompact 9mm's on the market, why bother? Just my $.02
    The wallet like thinness of most .380 pistols is why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links